questions for the modified crowd

scotty t

Glad you did not have to ask. I must ask you what you did about the side to side pedal slop and the pedal stops at the top of the travel? Also did you have issues with bending the lines or are you using the ECI front disk setup with the MC ports on the transmission side?

My pedal bushings were worn out. I paid the machine shop $35 to rebush them. I use the floorboard with original rubbers for stops. There is no pressure there. The clutch overcenter spring leaves little pressure on the top of the travel. I put a light pull spring on the master cylinder to pull the weight of the pedal away from the push rod. That is the only pressure against the floorboard.

I bent the lines using the handle of a vise to form the radius at the master cylinder. I used a front disc set up from a member here. Plydo? It uses the smaller GM calipers so I can use the original wheels. The ECI disc set up uses the bigger GM calipers that causes the clearance problem but have more stopping power

how good is the FM reception? and what brand is the mp3 player?

I have a Sony and a Sansa I actually like the Sansa better, I bought it off e-bay for $50.00. The motorcycle amp was $17.00 and I bought some speakers at a swap meet. I made kick panels and had an upholsetry shop carpet them. The FM works very well but I hardly ever use it cause I like my Doo Wop cruize music better when driving one of my old cars.

:D

My pedal bushings were worn out. I paid the machine shop $35 to rebush them. I use the floorboard with original rubbers for stops. There is no pressure there. The clutch overcenter spring leaves little pressure on the top of the travel. I put a light pull spring on the master cylinder to pull the weight of the pedal away from the push rod. That is the only pressure against the floorboard.

I bent the lines using the handle of a vise to form the radius at the master cylinder. I used a front disc set up from a member here. Plydo? It uses the smaller GM calipers so I can use the original wheels. The ECI disc set up uses the bigger GM calipers that causes the clearance problem but have more stopping power

Any issues with your pedals rubbing the slots in your floor board? I used the Plydo setup in my car. Plydo is not a forum member. Did you use the Rustyhope setup? He is a forum member.I stopped by his shop a couple months ago and finally met him.

olddaddy.jpg

Another option for using an ipod in a car with a built in (small) amplifier is a Sony unit that Crutchfield carries.  It is meant for adding ipod functionality to a modern car but is supposed to work standalone as well.  Uses a remote for volume.  Search for Sony XDP-MU110 on Crutchfield, they're currently $50.

I was gonna do the hidden radio unit inside a chrome tissue dispenser but now i am leaning towards an Ipod hidden in the same tissue box! :D

In my wagon, I have no broadcast radio.  Reception, for the stuff I like, varies and anything when you're traveling sucks!  I opted for my choice of music on the iPod and I love it.  Unless you're into "talk radio", I can't think of a better source,.....unless it's XM/Sirrus radio.  That's pretty cool too. 

Pictures of the ECI master cylinder set up on my P15. That is if my first try at uploading pictures works.

looks like a good setup. by the way, thanks for the awesomes parts and pieces. this man is a pleasure to deal with. nice parts at a fair price. 

Another option for using an ipod in a car with a built in (small) amplifier is a Sony unit that Crutchfield carries.  It is meant for adding ipod functionality to a modern car but is supposed to work standalone as well.  Uses a remote for volume.  Search for Sony XDP-MU110 on Crutchfield, they're currently $50.

will do!

• 5 months later...

Just keep at it and update it as you go. Still nice to keep it all together. I have my build threads saved as content I follow so they are easy to find.

here's a few questions for the modified guys. maybe we can all join in here and post ideas and questions. 

i've got a 48 p-15 business coupe.

any good ideas for a modern radio install, as hidden as possible?

under floor modern master cyl, for brake and clutch? non power assist in my case.

electric wipers, how about an electric vacuum pump for the stock wiper motor?

any thoughts, suggestions? PICTURES?

any other questions to add?

I like the MP3 idea. I bought a $20.00 motorcycle amp off evil bay mounted it under the dash made some kick panel speakers and I can listen to Doo Wop all day for a lot cheaper than a new radio, plus I have 2000 songs without having to carry a bunch of CD's around, most MP3 players have a shuffle feature so the tunes are always different, WolfMan Jack one time, Buddy Holly the next. I hook up my stock radio to the dash lights so it appears that the radio is on for looks cause I like the stock radio dial at night.

here's a few questions for the modified guys. maybe we can all join in here and post ideas and questions. 

i've got a 48 p-15 business coupe.

any good ideas for a modern radio install, as hidden as possible?

under floor modern master cyl, for brake and clutch? non power assist in my case.

electric wipers, how about an electric vacuum pump for the stock wiper motor?

any thoughts, suggestions? PICTURES?

any other questions to add?

Brakes, contact one of our advertisers, Butch's.

For tunes a bunch of suppliers are now doing full stereo/ipod mods while keeping the stock unit for a "head". Check Hemmings or Google.

I'm going the aux vacuum pump path for the wipers. That way I can keep the stock 6 volt setup. Another option is fuel pump with vacuum booster. 

Here's a link to a hidden radio tech thread I did on the HAMB.  It worked great for me, and its awesome to see the look on peoples faces when you turn on you're "stock" radio in a modified 12v hot rod!  I think theres a youtube link toward the end of the thread that shows it in action.  I've got it all finished up and been driving it for a few weeks and I'm really enjoying it!  If you do it this way no one can tell its not the stock radio!  I'm sure you all could put you're own touch on it and make it work with a bluetooth adaptor and an amp.  I just didn't want the amp laying in the trunk or under the seat! 

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800175

Thanks for the tips on the floor mounted MC I really want to do away with the ugly firewall mounted 80's GM MC thats been on the car since I got it!

there are a number of ways to hide a stereo...depends on the amount of control and if you wish to have the display viewable to you as you drive also...this is the single most limiting factor..the display..there are but a couple of remote display units on the market..neither are cheap...the CD option places the  unit over the top in cost..

I just went through the stereo selection process for my coupe build as there is zero room for an in dash radio head, the factory position is the location of the AC vents...the AC/Heat assembly of the 2004 donor allows no behind the panel room nor will the console and or console extension allow for a radio due to other more needed electronics of the donor.  The glove box is not convenient and considered safe for drivers access while driving.  Dropping in the console may be an option but ability to displace the heat generated may be a consideration and thus I decided was not kosher.

I opted for my media of music to be mainly a USB thumb drive..with a remote mount USB port that will blend in about anywhere you wish to place it..

sounds like you got in planned in your favor as it would surely look tacky in the coupe...(No radio in the power giant by the way) 

I now have the unit in my hand that will be mounted...it has the remote display...overall this I feel will be the better setup keeping everything clean and neat...as the unit can only recognize 999 files per thumb drive..I figure those 1/3 size 4 gig units will be just the ticket....

Nate,  I love it!  Anyone have an old radio for sale cheap?

Also, hope it hasn't already been mentioned, XM/Sirrus Radio is an option.  Yeah there's a monthly charge but the up side is you can "dock" the receiver in the garage and as many cars as you want.  Just pull the receiver/head unit from your garage dock and plug it into your P15.  What I also like about the XM is you can select a music genre and the disk-jockeys often embellish the experience with a history lesson.