Electronic Ignition Question

Labrauer

Has anyone ever put a Pertonix electronic ignition on a positive ground flathead 218 before with overdrive transmittion? I was wondering how it would work with the overdrive skipping a beat of spark when engaged. I have heard both ways on good and bad with the overdrive. Is it a wise thing to do and would it help with starting and running. I have seen that Pertonix makes a electronic ignition that will fit under the distributor cap. I have also heard that you have to use the pertonix coil that will give more spark to the plugs. I don't know if this will work or not so any information on use with an overdrive would be help. And also if anyone could tell me how to hook it up will be apprecated also.

Larry Brauer

braular@yahoo.com

7134107481:confused:

Edited by Labrauer

Well guys if pertonix doesn't recommend it I will just look the other way and redo the points. I just thought that it would be a better set up for starting and be more reliable than the stock points. I am not going to mess up the overdrive just for that. Transmissions are way more expencive than a set of points every once in a while.

thanks for the input on the subject as always,

Larry

go to this forum..your answer is there...straight from Pertronix themselves..

http://www.oldplymouths.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1064

which of the posts in that thread is "straight from pertronix themselves?". it isn't immediately obvious from reading the thread which of the posters is a representative/tech/employee of pertronix.

post 11, man said he called and talked to Pertronix rep....if that seems cheesy to you, I can only suggest that by doubting you or anyone else for that matter can call Pertronix in person...just trying to help out passing this stuff along...rest assured I will not bother next time around..

oh, i see.

pretty loose definition of "straight from".

not that the link isn't helpful to those considering the conversion, as it provides some data/perspective, but that's second (or third, depending upon the veracity of the poster) hand information, not first-hand.

maybe it's semantics?

Well guys if pertonix doesn't recommend it I will just look the other way and redo the points. I just thought that it would be a better set up for starting and be more reliable than the stock points. I am not going to mess up the overdrive just for that. Transmissions are way more expencive than a set of points every once in a while.

thanks for the input on the subject as always,

Larry

"I talked to George Asche the other day,

He didn't know how it would work it,

but recomended not to try it."

George Asche is not the PETRONIX tech.:o

He is a shop owner who rebuilds O.D. transmissions and

engines. :cool:

oh, i see.

not that the link isn't helpful to those considering the conversion, as it provides some data/perspective, but that's second (or third, depending upon the veracity of the poster) hand information, not first-hand.

maybe it's semantics?

make the call...I just posted the information..clear the air..be a hero...if you really want to know and trust no one...then its on your shoulders..morthing more can be said for that..and the postings have already be so skewed that any inormation between the two forums I would not even trust it...you yourself are spreading as much "hearsay" an anyone..do us all a favor call and get the skinny or let the subject drop...beside the answer was directed to the original poster and not to some second hand poster who's only comment is to deride without further know facts....how more clear is that...I believe if you truly were to read the post again man quoted Pertronix as saying the grounding of the ignition during OD shift is exactly the coniditon present on their units when using the rev limiter...for someone that does not understand iginiton systems and electronics I can well see where this baffles...

oh, i see.

maybe it's semantics?

I posted that info to try to be of some help.

I had bought 2 mopar r-10 od's trans from the same person at a reasonable price and planned to put 1 in my 50 4dr. project.

After a lot of research, including a call to pertronix about grounding their elect. ign. kit to determine if would be ok to ground out their sys. as needed to wire as a stock wiring would do and they said no problem as it would do exactly would do the same as a rev limiter would by temp. grounding out the side of the coil that goes dist. to coil and they have had no problems with that!

I ended up not using original wiring setup with the org. type kickdown that used the temp. grounding wire to the coil. Instead i wired it close to what Blueskies did but added a latching relay and a bosch type relay and the button on the shifter per blueskies and NO need for the grounding wire to the coil.

Therfore my experience is 0 if if actually works. Just after doing my homework i could see no reason that it would not. Either 6v. or 12 v. could be properly wired to work fine. Just made my decision to wire it diff. from factory and absolutely love it. Never move the shifter cable for OD, it's always engaged, using the button with the latching type relay to engage or disengage OD.

Lift throttle after pressing button and shift in/out. 3k-4k miles now on the 50 Ply. of mine with 0 problems.

Pete's problem with it blowing fuses MAY have been that he changed to 12v. neg. ground and hooked the grounding wire to the coil to the + of the coil.

Really hate to say that as i never talked to pete about this as he had already made the change to the button shift up/down and the point was moot!

Only tried to pass on what i had learned before i installed my OD trans.

Everyone needs to do their own homework to match what THEY want to do.

Google borg warner r10 trans and see that there is a lot of info out there!

The r10 was used in many manufactors cars and work the same with some minor differances.

ALSO, I do not work for anyone these days, only in my garage or back concrete slab in my backyard as weather permits!;)

make the call...I just posted the information..clear the air..be a hero...if you really want to know and trust no one...then its on your shoulders..morthing more can be said for that..and the postings have already be so skewed that any inormation between the two forums I would not even trust it...you yourself are spreading as much "hearsay" an anyone..do us all a favor call and get the skinny or let the subject drop...beside the answer was directed to the original poster and not to some second hand poster who's only comment is to deride without further know facts....how more clear is that...I believe if you truly were to read the post again man quoted Pertronix as saying the grounding of the ignition during OD shift is exactly the coniditon present on their units when using the rev limiter...for someone that does not understand iginiton systems and electronics I can well see where this baffles...

where's the hearsay that i spread? i'm not the one directing anyone to another site with a misrepresentative claim. frankly, your redirected post/forum wasn't particularly clear, demonstrated by the response of the original poster (labrauer), who misunderstands after reading from that thread,

Well guys if pertonix doesn't recommend it I will just look the other way and redo the points. I just thought that it would be a better set up for starting and be more reliable than the stock points. I am not going to mess up the overdrive just for that.

but i can see how you'd overlook that detail, since it doesn't augment your opinion. for someone without a firm grasp of standard english, i can understand the confusion.

Guys I seem to have stored up a bunch of hornets. My intentions was to find out information about the pertonix electronic ignition working on an r10 overdrive transmission. I read the responses I get and make up my own mind. Unfortunately that is not what I got on this question. I got the information from sources read the way it was hooked up through the shift lever and also read the information from the commits from the web page on the commits. Now I don't know what to do or if it will even work. I thought that posting this question it would give me some good advice one way or the other. I have been on several fourms (fords,chevy,plymouths) and have always got good responces without the name calling and insults between two members. Each and every one of us are on the fourm to put out information about our experiences with different things. Just want to know how and if it will work. I did not want to call pertonix I respect experience from other fourm members and their knowledge of these old cars.

Sorry if I caused a fight with posting a question I had no experience with.

Larry:o

Edited by Labrauer

you seem to think the arguement is with me when in fact I did not post the information..just the link...his ability to express or your/others ability/inability to comprehend is beyond my control...so with that in mind the problem is quite apparent..seems you do not know, do not trust others and yet you are afraid to call Pertronix and find out...as for the other person to whom you refer that may have misunderstand the information in the link....clearly in your wisdom a PM to him would be more than in order so to clear up any and all confusion..again...I provided a link and you have provided confusions and question of which you have no working knowledge..again, I challenge you to call Pertronix and post your findings...the information in the link is not useless like some other post I recall in the not so distanct past..so instead of just argueing..make the call...

Sorry if I caused a fight with posting a question I had no experience with.

Larry:o

larry,

you've done nothing wrong in my opinion. you asked a question. no harm in that, that's what the forum is generally used for.

i requested clarification from someone else about their post, and the supposed information source. the reference wasn't immediately clear or obvious, although the other party is apparently offended by that. my bad. there's no fight, but there's obviously a communication gap.

wally

Edited by wallytoo

I do not wish to continue with this exchange.

Anyone with questions please pm or email. I'll be happy to pm or converse via email, phone , about my experiences , about r10 trans wiring/setup/ factory produced repair/operation manuels (i think i have 3+, some thanks to Jim Yergin).

Larry your question was no problem to me.;) Just my 2 cents!

Call or pm and i'll email a schematic in my crude drawing, wiring if you want to do an update on OD wiring with newer relays.

Tim,

thanks for taking time to think about what i had posted.

Wallytoo,

I took no offense except for saying that who i may work for, without checking

what i drove and all previous posts of mine to see what i may be up to.

best to ya all,

Doug

I have mostly read posts daily as fun and always try to learn, as they say, Quit learning, then you die!:eek:

I challenge you to call Pertronix and post your findings...the information in the link is not useless

if your original statement were accurate, there'd be no need to call pertronix, would there?

perhaps you'll note that i didn't claim the information in the thread was useless, just that it didn't come directly from pertronix. your actual claim about the link is inaccurate.

I took no offense except for saying that who i may work for, without checking

what i drove and all previous posts of mine to see what i may be up to.

doug,

nothing i wrote/replied to was directed to you. it was directed to adams. if you took it that i was responding to you, i am sorry for that. i'm sure that someone considering the pertronix conversion can benefit from the information you posted. indeed, mr. adams pointed people in the direction of it. but whatever claim he wants to make, unless you in fact worked for pertronix, the statement in his first post in this thread is misleading.

wally

if your original statement were accurate, there'd be no need to call pertronix, would there?

perhaps you'll note that i didn't claim the information in the thread was useless, just that it didn't come directly from pertronix. your actual claim about the link is inaccurate.

doug,

nothing i wrote/replied to was directed to you. it was directed to adams. if you took it that i was responding to you, i am sorry for that. i'm sure that someone considering the pertronix conversion can benefit from the information you posted. indeed, mr. adams pointed people in the direction of it. but whatever claim he wants to make, unless you in fact worked for pertronix, the statement in his first post in this thread is misleading.

wally

Wally I find it odd that you complain about the info Doug posted on the other forum but say people can benefit from it now that he reposted it here. Its the same info from the same source. Either you believe it or you don't the rest doesn't matter.

I am running the Langdon HEI dist with my R10, so not exactly what Larry was asking about. However there may be some correlation to what his is considering so I will throw out there that I am running mine much the way both Pete and Doug are.

The exception is that I am unsing the stock kickdown switch mounted to the bottom of my dash rather than the switch in the shift knob. In any case as they have done, I left off the wire connecting the dist to coil for the temporary grounding. I have put well over 10K miles on this set up with absolutely zero problems.

Take it for what it is worth.

i'm sure that someone considering the pertronix conversion can benefit from the information you posted.

wally

I take this to indicate that you have no consideration in the Pertronix conversion.

I also do not see any indication of you offering any assistance to resolve the issue from the original posting.

If you have an issue with MR. Adams, me, or any other forum member I suggest you pursue these issues via PM or e-mail.

I take this to indicate that you have no consideration in the Pertronix conversion.

I also do not see any indication of you offering any assistance to resolve the issue from the original posting.

you take it wrong. while i have no need for the pertronix in a chrysler flathead, i've been accumulating parts and info for converting another 258 jeep engine from the crappy prestolite BID distributor system to the pertronix system. i've already converted a 258 installed in my jeep to an hei-based distributor, using junkyard parts, and have been pleased with the results over the last 10 years of running it.

the reason i'm choosing to investigate the pertronix conversion is that the other 258 that i have came with a motorcraft distributor as extra parts, and rather than use the prestolite piece of crap (which i know doesn't work well), or another hei-conversion, i wanted to learn about a different system that appears to work well, too, for the application.

assistance? how about change the wording in the redirect post notice to more accurately reflect the content?

feel free to shove it wherever you want.