Rear view mirror divsion bar

ggdad1951

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing for a very nominal fee to modify your division bars. Say shipping +$5 to cover the driving gas and a beer?

Wow! Ok, I'm in!

Hopefully you won't wear the tool out before I can get my bar to you, I've got it stashed in a box where it would be "safe" until I needed it. Heaven only knows where the "safe" box is at the moment.

Thanks!

Brad

Ok, I've gotten a few sent or on the way to me. Seems the shipping cost is around $5 and change. So if you want a mod done, send me the bar and a check for $11 and we'll call it good to go. Contact me via PM.

Ok, I've gotten a few sent or on the way to me. Seems the shipping cost is around $5 and change. So if you want a mod done, send me the bar and a check for $11 and we'll call it good to go. Contact me via PM.

Just got mine back. All I can say is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! Awesome job ggdad1951. This is what makes this forum so invaluable.

Question: Why the intense interest in the center mount rear view mirror? Mine attaches from the top of the windshild frame.

Scruffy, thanks, mine works fine unless I put high sideboards on the bed so it stays.

post-23-13585372987106_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Factory correct for the era the trucks come out. Header mounted are either dealer installed, aftermarket issue or swapped in from different vehicles.

It makes no difference which you have, they all are pretty much useless. Kinda like the short arm exterior mirrors, just because it is factory doesn't necessarily mean it works... ;)

If you like the one you have, use it. I don't care for the factory installed mirror in mine, but it was in there when my grandfather bought the truck new so it can stay.

Edited by Scruffy49

I have the factory mirrors on my 46 and they work fine. However its a 1/2 ton with a factory bed. I could see on a bigger truck or a stake bed having trouble with the factory short ones.

Factory correct for the era the trucks come out. Header mounted are either dealer installed, aftermarket issue or swapped in from different vehicles.

It makes no difference which you have, they all are pretty much useless. Kinda like the short arm exterior mirrors, just because it is factory doesn't necessarily mean it works... ;)

If you like the one you have, use it. I don't care for the factory installed mirror in mine, but it was in there when my grandfather bought the truck new so it can stay.

Scruffy, Can you find that factory inside mirror your grandfather had in his old pick up. Last time I asked you were not sure where it was in all the pieces in the truck.

Bob

Question: Why the intense interest in the center mount rear view mirror? Mine attaches from the top of the windshild frame.

Scruffy, thanks, mine works fine unless I put high sideboards on the bed so it stays.

Well as for myself: My truck did not have a rearview mirror at all and I found a correct Truck mirror. I could have just drilled a hole, but the idea of a proper mounting point appealed to me.

Haven't looked, it's been raining for the better part of 2 weeks, or it has been so cold that I stay inside except to feed the horse. And to top it off my wife changed photo hosting sites so now I have to learn that nonsense all over again...:mad: She knows I'm technophobic, I think she does it on purpose...

Unless I find my outside division bar I can't install the thing anyway. I know where the screws are (floating around on the floor), I know where the inside bars are (have both kinds, mirror and plain), I suppose I could use a strip of wood as a temp outside bar until mine turns up or a I make a replacement...

Wow! Things sound chaotic. A shame to lose that factory mirror and bar to rust on the floor of your cab.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

No rust, floor was patched and encapsulated years ago and I left the toe board out so the leaky cowl vent and windshield gasket drain right out. :D

Truck has been wet since the day it left the lot. It is from Puyallup WA... rotten doors (check), rotten around the front fender rivets (check), rotten floor fixed. Bed floor--- you should see what cows do to white oak...:eek:

Had a tire changed out a couple weeks ago, outside of the rim was repainted with a 1969 vintage blackwall in place. Co-op tire shop pulled the tire off, installed my "new" (11 years older than I am) white wall, inside of the rim was flawless.

I'm not too concerned about the always kept in the cab mirror and division bar. Or the factory jack, which also lives on the floor, the jack handle, the hand crank (keep finding them in the barn and garage)...

You've got a lot of rare parts Scruffy.

Connections. Father in law had 5 1/2-1 ton versions in his plumbing business, all the spare parts ended up out here. Meridian Auto Wrecking in Graham WA had dozens of 40s and 50s Mopars when I was in high school (class of 91), I got bits and pieces for next to nothing back then.

My dad has the build sheet and original bill of sale for it in his safe. I'll have to get him to send them to me sometime. But since it is not staying stock I guess they aren't all that relevant...

Rare? Never seen a junker PH with plain bar, never seen a parts junker that didn't have the "air ride" seat, all the ones I've picked stuff off of had the jack and related junk under the seat. Junk shop a couple towns over had 3 PH jacks the last time I was in there, whopping $10 each. And the junk shop is where they belong, very wobbly screw jacks. Base is too small, jack head is beyond too small. For a resto they'd be alright, just have a real jack hidden somewhere, like in an old metal Coleman cooler in the bed...

Scruffy, I agree, all that rare truck junk really isn't.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Whatever I end up not using will be made available, eventually. Just don't be in a hurry, truck hasn't run since 94, hasn't been licensed since 74...

Throw aways? Got a set of AA Ford doors in the hayloft, model A or T seat parts, A and T tire pumps, couple dozen misc sediment bowls. Old John Deere oil cans, Coleman coolers, 1930s outboard motor, Henderson and Indian motorcycle parts...

My father in law is the ancient white Fred Sanford...:D Somewhere in all the mess is a set of 19teens Buick wire wheels that were on welding carts...

Lots of "junk" around here...:D

I used to go to Meridian AW back in the early 70's looking for parts for my 50 T&C. Last time I was there was after the owner died and relatives were selling off some stuff-probably late 80's or early 90's? Bought a mint cream colored 1950 Chrysler mottled steering wheel there for $100.00. Sold it that night for a lot more to a friend after a lot of drinking.

Boy were those the days!:D

And all the good stuff is long gone, they got bought out around 2008 by a California mega-yard outfit that crushed everything more than 10 years old...:mad: Dozens of Studebakers, Desotos, a couple early Rancheros that had been show cars, several fluid drive equipped cars, a couple wedge motor 2 doors from the mid 60s... couple dozen Sweptlines, couple dozen 47-85 Chevy/GM trucks, close to 50 48-90s F series... Bonneville convertible with a 3x2 389/4spd... :eek:

All the "junk" here is fairly well stashed to keep it out of the weather, except the trucks live outside. The old barn has settled so much that I'm not sure I can get my Super Beetle out without using the front end loader to lift the barn roof... Dirt here is like the Snohomish Valley, it gets wet and stuff sinks.

with the site change, I ended up with a bajilion messages to sort thru and delete.  So If you PM'd me about a mod you want done and I have not gotten back to you I appologize, please re-message me and I'll get you fixed up.  I hope everyone is happy with the mod so far!

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys, huge question for those of you with extra parts laying around, seems USPS has lost one of the bars I modified, let me know what it'd cost me to get one so I can replace the one lost.  Sad really, that one was in REALLY good shape.  Come spring when Ed and I go picking again, I'll grab everyone I can find that's worth it at the yard(s)

thanks in advance.

Edited by ggdad1951

You can stil have my spare if you need it. Haven't gotten around to tossing it in the iron pile yet. I'll dig it out and see if it is worth doing something with, right now it's just on the cab floor collecting spiders...

You watch, I'll send it to you, decide I'd rather have the smooth one instead of my mirror one... even though I plan to run dual outside mirrors and shouldn't need the inside one I'm hanging on to it for now... so getting rid of the smooth bar would be in my favor decision wise...