1950 Dodge/Fargo panel vans?

Uncle-Pekka

I posted earlier today a request on the pilot house forum:

A pal in Finland has a basket case 1950 Fargo panel van.

He does need some body dimension measures to be able to assemble the body of his project.

No comments/answers so far.

How rare is a 1950 panel van?

I suppose the body was the same for all Mopar products that year?

Quite a few of them rusted away to nothing. Lot's of pockets that trapped and held road debris and moisture. Your best bet is to get in contact with Slick Napier on the truck side of the board. He's building a V8 low rider 48 Panel that needed a LOT of body fabrication. You can also find him and his panel over on www.sweptline.org in the member's build threads area, but you'll have to join that site first (free). Build is chronicled in great photo detail.

As said, it is not my car but a fellow car nut's here in Finland.

The body has been taken off the frame and it is in pieces.

As I understood, he needs the exact measures across the door frames to be able to position cowl in resp.to the back of the body.

Thanks,

Pekka

As I understood, he needs the exact measures across the door frames to be able to position cowl in resp.to the back of the body.

Thanks,

Pekka

If you mean what I think you mean, he will probably have to mount the doors on the cowl then line up the back of the body so the doors fit accurately. I don't think measurements taken off another body would be accurate enough. The bodies did vary and 2 bodies made in different plants could be different. They made the doors and fenders adjustable because the bodies were never perfect.

Thanks,

Pekka

Hello Pekka,

Actually from your discription, It sounds like your friend has a "WOODY".

As a regular panel wouldn't be in pieces.

They are quite rare but many still out there. I will try to dig up some pics I have seen & post them, when I get home tonite.

I don't have a Panel, but I would assume that the door frames of the trucks should be the same? If I get a chance today I'll try to get some measurements of my '50 truck.

Merle

Now that I think more about it, the statement about it possibly being a Woody is interesting. If that's the case you may want to contact forum member Charles Furman. He has a couple of Pilot-House Woody Panels. Those are likely different since the doors are also wood. Here is one of his, from our photo gallery.

Woodstock_-_Oceanside_0920091.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins

Hello everybody!

And the first I have to thank Pekka, that he told me this site, and start asking help to my project! I had noticed this van early 90's, and I start wondering, how to get this rare car to my own. This car owner might died allready 70´s and there wasn't anyone who could ask to buy it. Then 2008 one of my friend told me, that that forrest was sold, and new owner cleaning that place. I finded out the owner, and he promiced that car to me and the price was 100€ (=120$), including couple of hours work with tractor, when he lifted that car on my trailer.

It looked much better, when it lying in forrest, but I think it´s too rare to dump to junk yard? It's an old Police car, so I know something about its history, when it was new.

I´m rebuilding now my ´41 Ford and that Fargo is waiting summer outside, under snow. Those bodydimensions what I need are widith of back door point of hinges and inside widith of B-pilars point of locks.

Here are pair of picktures.

Thank you!!

8319742758_81a51ff35b_b.jpg

8318669643_a2534f24f0_b.jpg

Hello Puli- Song,

To be Honest, If the 2nd picture is what is left of the panel truck?

It isn't worth restoring as there is really nothing left of the truck!

But it is your's, & if you have the tyme & money to put into the panel, then who am I to tell you not to.

Here is a website that maybe of some help to you:

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/blueprints/index.htm

Goodluck,

Edited by Apittslife
Editing of information

..Would be a classic "labour of love" to restore that panel truck...

a piece of hard work which you do because you enjoy it and not because you will receive money or praise for it, or because you need to do it...

- He's always working on his car - it's a labour of love. :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Hi!

Yes, I know, that it's in bad shape. There is nearly all body panels left, but I reassembled those, because it wouldn't stand removing in one peace. Another back door missing and hood. I have 2 ´50 Dodge Wayfahrer, and I have managed to find a couple of 230 Flatheads and other parts, witch are the same with that panel. The frame is hard as a rock, so I have good start point. I know, that it's quite imbossible at get it museum, but "on the road" is my goal. =)

Thanks!

Tuomo

Here are the measurements I got today off mine. Hopefully they help. First picture is the top hinge in the rear. It measured right around 44 1/4". It appears the doors taper a little, the bottom hinges measured just about 45". The b post at the door latch inside measurement was 60".

post-2712-13585372760494_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585372760631_thumb.jpg

post-2712-13585372760761_thumb.jpg

Edited by slicknapier

Looking at the prices (of the all three vans Tim posted above), I see that these panel vans are obviously high appreciated in the States...?

I mean, $1500 for a rolling shell decorated with dents and rust is well above the level asked for P15-D24 cars, for instance.

Also the second one is not cheap by any means, considering all the chrome & glass is missing...

Then again, not much if you really want one of these. After all you can get the engine & trans at low buck (or free if you're in right place right time).

Edited by Uncle-Pekka

Those first 2 are pretty cheap compared to same era Ford or Gm products. Old Chrysler products that are not muscle cars just are not very desirable in the States. Which is a very good thing for those of us that like them. One of my motorcycle friends from Sweden saw a pic of my 49 truck and thought it was a solid $5K example, around here it is a maybe $500 truck. With the 5 new old stock wide whites, maybe a $750 truck... :D

It is also why old Chrysler products cost 3 times as much to work on as a same era GM product... less demand for the parts.