Dunno what it it but is sure is purdy.

greg g

By coincidence, Jerry and I went out last week to look at four barn-finds, one of which is this tired 1947 Packard Clipper Eight touring sedan. This engine photo is the best I have and, while not conclusive, it show the wire loom and oil breather in the same place as Greg's photo. Unfortunately, there is not enough detail to see if that distinctive head-bolt pattern is the same.

post-2848-13585372704991_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585372705672_thumb.jpg

post-2848-13585372706179_thumb.jpg

the large straight eight Packard has 38 head bolts...my 51 has the larger 327 CI ..they had a 356 to '50 and a 359 in '54 with their first V in 55...Chris...that is a lot of engine under the hood..there is a 48 down the road from me..

while not purdy..she runs smooth....got a break in the rain..snap[ped a couple pics

post-7-13585372709938_thumb.jpg

post-7-13585372710483_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Adams

]I had a Packard years ago - a '54 hearse. 327 straight 8, 4bbl carb and 3 on the tree. Paid $40 for it, the transmission was stuck in 3ed. Took it out, fixed it with no parts, drove it for some time. We cleaned up on $1 a carload nights at the drive in!

More stories could be told, but I'll save them for another day.

The barracuda in the background was my '65, ordered new from the factory, 273 ci 235 hp 4 speed with limited slip. The 36 Ford belonged to my brother and I. Ran, but we never got it on the road. Draft came along and everything was gone when I got home. Wish I still had all 3.

post-459-0-49630500-1421679455_thumb.jpg

Edited by austinsailor

About 35 yrs ago I called into a place called Nick's Motor Wreckers in Melbourne, Victoria........they had just had delivered the contents of a speed shop and parts shop in the USA that they had purchased..........being here in Oz I had never seen such stuff.........Cal Custom, Fenton, Edelbrock, Offy etc, etc, etc...... hop up parts from the 50's and 60's were everywhere and I can still remember a pair of finned straight eight alloy heads leaning up against the side door, each one about 3 foot long or so it seemed...........the only finned heads I had ever seen back then were Ford V8 ones and these things just blew me away...........no one knew for certain exactly what they were for........Pontiac, Chrysler and Oldsmobile were suggested but seeing this beautiful finned Packard head ...........well who knows.........and no, Nicks closed down about 25 yrs ago...........lol............thanks, that pic has made my day.......andyd

Looks like a late model Packard getting the full treatment from Eddie Edmunds in the early fifties.

His motto was "Modernize Your Motor". He specialized in hopping up cars for ordinary motorists to use as regular transportation, as opposed to racing which was the focus of most other speed parts manufacturers back then.

You could bring your car into his shop and have his mechanics install the parts, anything from a tuneup to a full hop up job. This one looks like the full treatment, twin carb intake, Edmunds air filters, pressure regulators, fined aluminum head, chrome accessories and probably a reground camshaft and recurved ignition.

This appears to be a posed picture, however the mechanic might have used the air wrench, set to low, to spin the nuts down then torqued them with a torque wrench. There are a lot of nuts holding that head down.

The straight eight Packard was a fast car at the time although not quite as fast as a V8 Cadillac or Chrysler. But with the Edmunds treatment it would fly, top speed well over 100 MPH.

Edited by Rusty O'Toole