1952 B3b with Cummins 4bt

1952B3b23

Sure....These mounts are differtent than conventional rubber type mounts. They have a rubber shell but on the inside they contain either glycol or hydraulic fluid, this fluid absorbs more vibration therefore transmitting less of it to the frame. This is especially important for the Cummins 4bt im putting in because they tend to vibrate a lot at idle. I have read of people using these in there 4bt swaps over on the 4bt swap forum and they say that it cuts down vibration a lot when compared to regular rubber mounts. I really hope they do because they were pretty expensive. I'll take a few pics of them when i get home from work.  

-Chris

Does anyone know if the rear eye on the front leaf springs (where the shackle goes) is suppose to come threaded when buying new springs? When i talked to St. Louis Spring they told me the front eye was threaded but the rear was not. I attached a pic of the rear eye and shackle from my old springs.

Thanks guys

-Chris

post-4471-0-64975300-1359428566_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new front leaf springs in from St. Louis Springs and they look good except the cracked threaded bushing in the front eye on one of them. I called them up and the guy told me he would send me two new bushings and i could remove the old one and try putting in the new one. Instead of having to send the spring back. I told him id try it out but if it didnt work they are going to have to fix it. Does any one have the part number for new rear shackles for these springs? I looked them up on NAPA online but they say they're for 2" wide springs and these are 1.75" wide. Below are links to the two part numbers i found:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=RPC35417_0276850271

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=RPC35516_0276850272

-Chris

post-4471-0-30318000-1360193347_thumb.jpg

Originally, (ast least on half ton springs) the fronts have a threaded bushing pressed into the eye. You can easily press this out and install a new one in a large bench vise. Screw your old pin into the bushing part way to press it out.

The rear eyes are "threaded" when you screw in your new shackle bushings. The bushings are very hard material and will cut the steel of the spring as they go in. You'll probably have to screw them in part way, then back out, several times, each time getting in further.  I had a tough time with this but at least I know they are in there tight! They must be extremely snug so they don't rotate. Same goes for the frame bracket.

Check out Rare Parts for new shackles - very high quality and American made.

EDIT: I see the NAPA link has these in their "Rare Parts Chassis" line, so looks like RP now makes them for NAPA. Nice.

Edited by John-T-53

Originally, (ast least on half ton springs) the fronts have a threaded bushing pressed into the eye. You can easily press this out and install a new one in a large bench vise. Screw your old pin into the bushing part way to press it out.

The rear eyes are "threaded" when you screw in your new shackle bushings. The bushings are very hard material and will cut the steel of the spring as they go in. You'll probably have to screw them in part way, then back out, several times, each time getting in further.  I had a tough time with this but at least I know they are in there tight! They must be extremely snug so they don't rotate. Same goes for the frame bracket.

Check out Rare Parts for new shackles - very high quality and American made.

EDIT: I see the NAPA link has these in their "Rare Parts Chassis" line, so looks like RP now makes them for NAPA. Nice.

Im glad to hear that getting the broken bushing out shouldnt be to much of a pain, hopefully putting in the new one wont be bad either.

Thanks for the info on the rear eyes i was wondering how they worked, i didnt know that the new shackle bushing screwed into the spring eye but it makes sense.

Is it a deal breaker that the ones sold at NAPA are advertised for 2" wide springs not 1 3/4". Im tempted to bring a spring with me and see how it looks at the store before i pay for the shackle and bring it home. 

Im glad to hear that getting the broken bushing out shouldnt be to much of a pain, hopefully putting in the new one wont be bad either.

Thanks for the info on the rear eyes i was wondering how they worked, i didnt know that the new shackle bushing screwed into the spring eye but it makes sense.

Is it a deal breaker that the ones sold at NAPA are advertised for 2" wide springs not 1 3/4". Im tempted to bring a spring with me and see how it looks at the store before i pay for the shackle and bring it home. 

NAPA will have to special order these, and usually you have to pay up front for special orders. If you order direct from Rare parts, the return process is friendly and smooth. Are your new springs slimmer than the originals?

NAPA will have to special order these, and usually you have to pay up front for special orders. If you order direct from Rare parts, the return process is friendly and smooth. Are your new springs slimmer than the originals?

Nope the original springs are also 1 3/4" wide. I'll have to call up Rare parts and make sure theirs are for 1 3/4" wide springs cause i looked on their web site and wasnt able to find that info.

I started working on some stands that i am going to use to be able to rotate the frame to make it easier to weld when boxing it. I got this idea from "48dodger" from some pics he posted over on the "Frame Question" thread. They are made of 3x3 tubing thats 1/8" wall thickness that i had laying around at my shop. I will weld a piece of pipe to the top of the vertical tube so that i can slide another pipe inside of it and that will give me the rotational aspect. They will also be rolling around on 5" diameter casters, I still havent finished it but attached are a couple of pics. I also went out and bought a sheet of 1/8" steel for boxing the frame.

-Chris

post-4471-0-02563200-1360374284_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-23075900-1360374296_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1952B3b23

I just can't stand how every storm has to be "named" and the media uses terms like Nemo Slams East Coast! Snow never Slams anything a hurricane does, a tornado does, but for gosh sake it's a f'n snow storm.  Everything is so blown out of proportion these days. Make a snowman with your kids, put another log on the fire...have a hot chocolate and be assured that Global Warming will melt it in a couple of days. 

Geeze,

Hank :huh:  

1952B3b23, I'm sure you had some serious snow to shovel in Massachusetts. 

• Like 1

I just can't stand how every storm has to be "named" and the media uses terms like Nemo Slams East Coast! Snow never Slams anything a hurricane does, a tornado does, but for gosh sake it's a f'n snow storm.  Everything is so blown out of proportion these days. Make a snowman with your kids, put another log on the fire...have a hot chocolate and be assured that Global Warming will melt it in a couple of days. 

Geeze,

Hank :huh:  

1952B3b23, I'm sure you had some serious snow to shovel in Massachusetts. 

Try being stranded 8-10 miles from any town in your own house, no electricity for a week not knowing how many days your food will last..........Have you lived in cali most of your life? People get slammed by snow storms and even die from them.

Try being stranded 8-10 miles from any town in your own house, no electricity for a week not knowing how many days your food will last..........Have you lived in cali most of your life? People get slammed by snow storms and even die from them.

No I have not lived in "Sunny" California all my life and have shoveled more snow than I can remember.  In Vermont, I lived in a house built in 1860 with no running water, electricity or heat other than a fireplace and a wood cookstove for which wood had to be chopped throughout the thaw months to make it through the winter. My closest neighbor was 10 miles away and town was 12 miles. 

Hank   :)

No I have not lived in "Sunny" California all my life and have shoveled more snow than I can remember.  In Vermont, I lived in a house built in 1860 with no running water, electricity or heat other than a fireplace and a wood cookstove for which wood had to be chopped throughout the thaw months to make it through the winter. My closest neighbor was 10 miles away and town was 12 miles. 

Hank   :)

Heck Hank, I thought you was a native californian......sounds like you paid your dues in snowland. The only point 

i was trying to make is all types of storms have there own inherent dangers. :) 

Yea that's for sure i definitely had my hands full with snow removal. Massachusetts and Connecticut both had a driving ban in place, only emergency vehicles and DOT workers where allowed on the roads after 4 pm on Friday. Supposedly if you had gotten stuck or in an accident during the ban and you needed help they where handing out $500 fines on top of your crappy situation. 

I agree that the media does tend to blow things out of proportion, but all different types of storms can be dangerous. Thankfully it's over now and hopefully its the last big snow storm of the year.  

I found a cummins 6AT3.4 at an auction and put it in my 55 2nd chevy pickup. The engine came out of a UPS truck.  I had to use a shoe horn to get it to fit. I wish I could of found a 4BT then. The 6AT 3.4 's belhousing would fit a regular chevy pattern. Like on a 350 chev moter. I have it bolted to a 4 speed.  A friend of mine found a 4BT that had a 400 chevy tranny hooked to it. It came out of a chevy bread truck.  lug in nm

I found a cummins 6AT3.4 at an auction and put it in my 55 2nd chevy pickup. The engine came out of a UPS truck.  I had to use a shoe horn to get it to fit. I wish I could of found a 4BT then. The 6AT 3.4 's belhousing would fit a regular chevy pattern. Like on a 350 chev moter. I have it bolted to a 4 speed.  A friend of mine found a 4BT that had a 400 chevy tranny hooked to it. It came out of a chevy bread truck.  lug in nm

Yea the 4bt should fit pretty well in the '52, its not much longer than the stock flat head just taller. Obviously some room is going to have to be made for the bellhousing/tranny tunnel but it shouldnt be to bad, a little notching of the firewall will take care of that. The back of the 4bt block where the flywheel mounts to the crank is the same as on a 6bt so with the correct adaper plate you can use trannies that where put in the 6bt trucks. I plan on using a 5 speed manual Getrag G360 out of my parts truck, a '92 12 valve Cummins. They do also make different adapter plates to mate the 4bt to Ford (ZF), Chevy (Allison) , and some other types of trannies. I wanted to keep mne Mopar and i had the parts truck so the Getrag it is. I may need to notch the oil pan a little bit to make room for the drag link but im not that far yet thats just a speculation. I searched for months and months to find this 4bt and finally i got one from a diesel shop 10 mins from my house. You can find them on ebay but it seemed all the ones i saw where very far away from me and i wanted to hear the motor run before buying it and see it in person. 

Do you have any pics of your 55 chevy with the diesel?

Hear are some pics of my 6at3.4attachicon.gifImage0(5).jpgattachicon.gifImage0(6).jpgattachicon.gifImage0(6).jpgattachicon.gifImage0(7).jpgattachicon.gifImage0(7).jpg This is one of my projects that slip down the I gotta get it done list. noel in nm

Thats pretty neat i had never seen one of those before. It doesn't really look like the conventional Cummins im use to seeing, and i noticed the injection pump is on the passenger side instead of the drivers. What did they put those motors in?

Page 97 of Don Bunn's PH book say the dry weight of a 218 with clutch and tranny is #645. I don't believe it but that is what it says.

Jeff

645 thats all. Wow it sure seemed a lot heavier when i pulled it out.

Two more pics of that AT 3.4 cummins. I have it in a 55 2nd GMC pickup. It came out of a UPS truck.attachicon.gifImage0(8).jpgattachicon.gifImage0(9).jpg

Thats going to be a sweet little truck, when do you think you'll get back on that project?