1952 B3b with Cummins 4bt

1952B3b23

I'd say it'd be EASIER on the bench, but BETTER to do on the frame so everything is lined up correctly.

Edited by ggdad1951

. . . Is this something thats much easier to do on the bench top with the springs in a vice? Or should it be done on the frame so that i can get everything lined up right?  Making a wood spacer sounds like a good idea. . .

I did it all when installing the springs on the frame.

I think i'll attempt putting it all together on the frame so that things will get lined up correctly. I went out to the garage and unpacked all the goods, attached are pics of the king pin set and spring shackles and bolts. The king pin set is a NAPA autoparts brand, and the shackles and spring bolts are Rare Parts brand. 

I noticed that the bottom bushing that threads into the eyelet on the leaf spring (left side shackle) is a left hand thread. Is this so as the leaf spring is compressed it will try to rotate the bushing which would tighten it instead of loosen? On the shackle for the right side both the top and bottom are right hand thread. Also when they refer to left and right sides of the vehicle its from the point of view when sitting in the cab right?

Thanks guys,

-Chris

post-4471-0-43389400-1366765453_thumb.jpg

post-4471-0-86813000-1366765464_thumb.jpg

I see the king pin bearings are made by Trayer - so NAPA is sourcing quality for these...you're in good shape. Trayer makes parts for Rare Parts too. 

Yep the front left shackle bottom bushing is LH thread. I think that's the reason... if bushings get loose they will end up rotating in the eyes or the hanger which will wear rapidly.

L = driver side. R = pass.

I see the king pin bearings are made by Trayer - so NAPA is sourcing quality for these...you're in good shape. Trayer makes parts for Rare Parts too. 

Yep the front left shackle bottom bushing is LH thread. I think that's the reason... if bushings get loose they will end up rotating in the eyes or the hanger which will wear rapidly.

L = driver side. R = pass.

Yea the king pins do look high quality, i was happy to see "MADE IN THE USA" on them. The rare parts shackles look really nice as well, im going to try and install them this weekend and finish degreasing all my tranny parts. Thanks for clearing up the right and left side question, wanna make sure i put the parts in the correct places.

-Chris

Last night i installed the shackles on both left and right sides into the threaded mounts on the frame to see how they fit. I tightened them down and they seemed to thread in pretty easily. My concern is that after they where tight i was still able to wiggle them up and down quite a bit. It seems like the threads in the frame mounts are worn out which is allowing for the wiggle. My questions are:

Is this normal, and it will tighten up once i grease them or should it be a solid fit from the begining?

If i need new shackle frame mounts can i get new ones from some vendor?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Last night i installed the shackles on both left and right sides into the threaded mounts on the frame to see how they fit. I tightened them down and they seemed to thread in pretty easily. My concern is that after they where tight i was still able to wiggle them up and down quite a bit. It seems like the threads in the frame mounts are worn out which is allowing for the wiggle. My questions are:

Is this normal, and it will tighten up once i grease them or should it be a solid fit from the begining?

If i need new shackle frame mounts can i get new ones from some vendor?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Should be tight from the beginning.

Don't know where you can get new frame mounts. For my older car I think the only source would be a parts car. Your truck is newer and, I think, interchangable with more years so finding something should be possible.

When I had some spring work done in the 1970s the (explititive deleted) shop took a torch and removed one of my rear frame mounts. They reinstalled it with bolts, facing the wrong way so the shackle couldn't pivot. When I had everything apart years later I was able to repair the frame, redrill the mounting holes and rivet the mount back on. End result is I know you can remove and replace the spring mount. Just have to find a source.

Should be tight from the beginning.

Don't know where you can get new frame mounts. For my older car I think the only source would be a parts car. Your truck is newer and, I think, interchangable with more years so finding something should be possible.

When I had some spring work done in the 1970s the (explititive deleted) shop took a torch and removed one of my rear frame mounts. They reinstalled it with bolts, facing the wrong way so the shackle couldn't pivot. When I had everything apart years later I was able to repair the frame, redrill the mounting holes and rivet the mount back on. End result is I know you can remove and replace the spring mount. Just have to find a source.

Yea i had a feeling that it needs to be tight from the begining. When i looked inside the frame mount on either side i could see that quite a few of the threads where worn down a lot so that they are barely visible. If i remember correctly i believe that the mount on the drivers side of my truck is bolted so someone had taken it off already. Thanks for the help Tod.

Does anyone have two front spring shackle mounts that are in decent condition they are willing to sell? Its a 1952 B3b im not sure what other years would interchange with mine.

-Chris

I had to replace my passenger side front mount...I bought the last one from some guy in FLA.....

I've seen some parts trucks on ebay for sale maybe they would have both the shackle mounts... time to start the hunt

Hey guys just want to throw this out there:

If anyone has a spare driver and passenger side front shackle frame mount in decent condition please let me know. Mine are both shot and i need to replace them before i can assemble the front suspension.

Thanks

-Chris

I was in the same predicament with my hangers but lucky to find a set from Hank / Davin last year (Thanks again, guys).

I wanted to rivet them on, but went with bolts instead. Good luck in your search!

post-1481-0-43001300-1367086089_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-86657400-1367086183_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-95165700-1367086324_thumb.jpg

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 1

Hey guys just want to throw this out there:

If anyone has a spare driver and passenger side front shackle frame mount in decent condition please let me know. Mine are both shot and i need to replace them before i can assemble the front suspension.

Thanks

-Chris

PM me.  I think I do and they are for sale.  Will look for them on Monday

Hank.  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Hank and Davin,

Thanks a bunch cause i was pretty worried that it would be a long search for these. Davin if i run out of options over here i will certainly PM you about them, thanks for the offer.

PS - I sent the PM Hank

-Chris

I was in the same predicament with my hangers but lucky to find a set from Hank / Davin last year (Thanks again, guys).

I wanted to rivet them on, but went with bolts instead. Good luck in your search!

I plan to bolt mine on. I am having a heck of a time getting the rivets out, they're being a real pain in the a**.

-Chris

I bolted mine on. I made new ones for my truck using the originals. If all else fail, a machine shop could do a repair. 

Oh yeah, and those rivets suck to get out!!! Not fun! 

post-3516-0-40198300-1367285809_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-00345300-1367285822_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-57013100-1367285836_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-64352200-1367285849_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-34575400-1367285872_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-32192500-1367285939_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe

Joe, i agree i think you could make a few extra dollars making replacements.

Im hoping that i'll be able to find a set before i have to resort to having a machine shop try to do something, that could turn out to be a bit pricey.

I got lucky that the drivers side mount has already been removed and bolted on by the previous owner so thats 4 less rivets that i have to deal with. :D

-Chris

Thats right those will be worth a pretty penny down the road.

I can imagine that they're tons of work to make, i dont have any machining tools like you must have Joe. So thats not even an option for me to do myself.

Try your best not to enlarge the holes in the frame as you drill out the rivets!

I used fine thread 3/8" bolts, grade 5, with split lock washers and locktite. They're holdin' up so far....

Im certainly trying not to and so far i havent made any of the holes any bigger than they should be. Keeping my fingers crossed that i'll be able to keep that going. I haden't given any thought to what types of bolts to use but 3/8 sounds good, maybe use some nylon lock nuts too?