33 plym wheel question? any help would be great?

michael.warshaw

I guess if you are looking for 19" wheels for a earlier Plymouth they might be a reasonable price.

But for a '33 Plymouth you will be looking for either the standard 17" wheels or the optional 16" "Air Wheels". Both the 16" and 17" tires end up with about the same mounted tire diameter but you will have more options on tires for the 16" including Goodyear "All Weather" (diamond tread) tires that were OEM for Plymouths of that era.

Hubcaps on the wheels in the photo are for a '31. For '32 and '33 the cap stands a bit proud of the wheel. Same diameter so you sometimes see a '31 cap on a '32 or '33. Or a '32-'33 cap on a '31.

My question is will these will work on the 33 plymouth sedan will they bolt right up ? Thanks fellas.

Not positive but I am fairly sure that they use the same bolt pattern. Not much offset on wheels in that era either so probably okay in that regard too. So, yes, they should bolt right up. But for the same general price you should be able to get the correct size wheels.

Have you checked the cost to refurbish and re-chrome the spoke wheels? I read a couple of articles and it appears the cost can run as high as 5-6 hundred bucks per wheel.

How is your P-15 running? How many miles have you driven it to date?

If they are chromed as part of the refurbishment then it will not be a re-chrome as they were originally painted. Depending on the body color they should be black, red or green (most combinations used black wheels).

The correct wheels have riveted spokes and finding someone to work on those can be a bit of a problem too.

Have you checked the cost to refurbish and re-chrome the spoke wheels? I read a couple of articles and it appears the cost can run as high as 5-6 hundred bucks per wheel.

How is your P-15 running? How many miles have you driven it to date?

about 1000 miles, runs great, dont like driving it much though, im to used to new cars, bt its fun when im the only one on the road.

So how does having/driving one 13 years older fit in with your preference for driving newer cars? And if you are not going to be driving it any more than the P15,what difference does the trustwortyness of the wheels make???

Edited by greg g

So how does having/driving one 13 years older fit in wwith your preference for drining newer cars? And if you are not going to be driving it any more than the P15,what difference does the trustwortyness of the wheels make???

Just between '33 and '35 or '36 there was a big change in the ride quality with the later '30s being much more like the '40s, '50s and even early '60s family sedans compared with the '33.

So Greg has a good point and a valid question...

So how does having/driving one 13 years older fit in with your preference for driving newer cars? And if you are not going to be driving it any more than the P15,what difference does the trustwortyness of the wheels make???

i guess you make a good point, but on the other hand eventually that flathead will be ripped out and a big block 502 ive had built a few yesrs ago, might go in there. so the stock suspension is just there for a little while i guess. driving old cars is not as easy as the new technology drive trains.

i have a 31 roadster with a small block and beside my pro street cars, this roadster is my favorite to drive.