Engine part vehicle reference

Alaska J5

Hello, I have a 1960ish 237 Chrysler flat head 6 cylinder industrial engine that I'm restoring and have trouble at Napa getting engine parts because I don't know what vehicle make and model had this engine. It has the 25" long block that is the same for the 251 and 265. If someone can give me a make and model truck or car in this era that had this engine it would make life easier at the auto part store for me. This engine is in a J5 Bombardier tracked vehicle. Thanks

Like head gasket, thermostat, fuel pump, plug, wires ect. Ect. The first question Napa personnel ask is "what vehicle is this out of"

If you can get a "1960ish" Chrysler industrial parts book you'll know the Mopar part numbers and things like those you list should show up in the NAPA Online web site's cross reference lookup.

Like head gasket, thermostat, fuel pump, plug, wires ect. Ect. The first question Napa personnel ask is "what vehicle is this out of"

The parts you listed are mostly generic. With the exception of the head gasket the parts you are looking for are the same for a long or short block Mopar flathead 6. The plug wires can be found at a Tractor Supply house or you can make them up yourself from most any six cylinder plug wire set.

If you can get a "1960ish" Chrysler industrial parts book you'll know the Mopar part numbers and things like those you list should show up in the NAPA Online web site's cross reference lookup.

Part of the problem is I cannot figure out the model or year from my flatty engine serial number? It looks like the original serial number may have gotten ground off then these two numbers stamped on?? Can anyone make sence of this???

post-9300-13585372580258_thumb.jpg

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/indengines.php

Chrysler industrial flathead 6s info site WITH engine identification based on displacement.

Tell your NAPA guys to get off their backsides and crack the paper catalogs open. That's why I quit dealing with them.

That info tells me I may have a Industrial 7A engine. Very helpful. Thank You. I would still like to find out what year if possible.

External bypass water pump or internal bypass (no hose from head to water pump)? Green tags on the starter and generator or red tags?

There should be a casting date on the block. Down around the starter and generator. My current engine was cast in 1948, replacement engine was cast in 1955 or 56. Casting date is close enough for them to work off of.

The code number on the head says M88 1327236

And the block cast number says. 1402529

The head casting # came out in 1950. The block # came out in late 1951 or early 1952.

Bob

You can buy a Maintenace and Parts Manual -"Chrysler Six Cylinder Industrial Engines Models IND. 5,5A,6,6A,7,7A and 8,8A from Vintage Power Wagons. Lots of good Info in it. I have the Second Edition, printed in August 1950. The original Mopar manual #is D-12154.

From what I have read and been told about, the Chrysler Industrial Engines were the top of the line as far as severe service was concerned. At the bottom end were the Car engines, then the Truck engines and the best of the bunch the Industrial engines. Premium components were used in these engines. I plan on Installing an IND-7 in my 41' WC-12 4x4. Being that they were used in Forklifts, Combines, Welders etc, installing one in a Car or Truck will require you to probably change the Distributor or the advance setting of it and perhaps the camshaft depending on what profile you are looking for. That having been said, nothing like listening to a Chrysler Flathead 6 purring at Idle. :)

Yes, i bought that Maintenance and Parts Manual from the Vintage Power Wagon people and they were very helpful. It's just that I like to buy things locally if possible and the information everyone provided will help me do that. Thank You very much. I think what I have is a 1950ish 7A 237 industrial engine and the DeSoto info may help me find parts locally. I'm glad they built the industrial engine well because I plan to work this tracked rig when complete but it will still be my baby. It's been a fun project so far. And yes i agree, nothing sounds sweeter than a purring flatty when your 20 miles off the road crossing an Alaska swamp hauling moose meat out

post-9300-13585372629189_thumb.jpg

I don't think so but it does have a interesting history I need to track down soon. There is an old guy in Fairbanks who owned it in the 60's and I don't know his name but I know about where he lives. Anyway he used it to recover several of the "lend lease" planes that crashed soon after take off. (Lend lease was a program that gave the Russians war planes to fight the Germans. So I was told this guy has a photo album of him, this machine and a specially built trailer 80 miles off the road hauling out all this Army aircraft pieces! Including wings, fuselage And some 50 cal. Guns. I was told he spoke of this machine like it was one of his children. I was waiting until I have it together and running before I talk to him. The story goes on that soon after he recovered all this stuff the Army found out and informed him that was US Goverment property and they wanted it all back. So he quickly called a local museum and donated everything to them and its still at AlaskaLand today. I need to hear all this first hand from this man and see his photos. I'm sure he would like to see and hear this Machine run as much as I do:)

Alaska,

Here is the email address of a guy you might want to consider contacting. He is located in Scotland and has some vehicles similar to yours, along with a lot of other "different" stuff. He is extremely knowledgeable. Hangs out on the 39-47 Dodge Truck site and a number of military sites.

"gordon" <gordon@dodge.org.uk>

Don