Resurrecting the passenger visor project

ggdad1951

The arm length's are different between early and late trucks-1951-3 are longer. As are the visors. Also the visor tubes are stamped different too between early and late so you cannot just shove the new arm in the visor and assume it will hold the visor in position firmly. You need the proper designed arm for the visor tube for the visor to stay where you put it. The early style bracket mounts I suppose are the easiest part to design and sell. The later 1951 on up style are another story.

If you were making a bracket, arm and tube kit -one kit style that would be for both length visors that would work.....but thats getting lots more complicated.

I think most people might want a whole set of visors. But I know thats not going to happen unless you go to China! I am just getting out there what these visors look like when taken apart and all the differences to help in the bracket/arm repro possibilities!:)

Bob

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

mark,

i got a chance to take a few pics of my passenger side visor. it's from the earlier p-h years, but it also answers one question above. the actual arms are NOT the same on the early versions, as there is a groove along the rod that faces towards the windshield (when the visor is in the normal position). thus, the driver's and passenger's sides are mirrors. in looking at the visors themselves, i'm not positive there's a difference between them. they look the same front and back, and seem to work on both sides (i know, since i slid each one off and put them on the opposite side). other than dust on the "top" surface, the material/appearance seems identical. this might be different for the later versions, as noted by bob above.

wally

post-1455-1358537292116_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372922006_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372922875_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585372923664_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

I got both versions of the PH visors from Ed on Saturday. Once I get some bandwidth I'll get the parts all modeled up (mouse ears 48-50 & flat 51-53) and we can see if people want to pony up the $ to get an order together.

• 3 weeks later...

I got what I need, but I've been swamped at work (shocking I know, working at work) and I'm trying to get a kitchen cabinet set built on the side.  I hope to get to it this coming month.  Won't take long once I get a few days to think on it.

Edited by ggdad1951

• 5 years later...
On December 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Dodgeb4ya said:

The arm length's are different between early and late trucks-1951-3 are longer. As are the visors. Also the visor tubes are stamped different too between early and late so ........

Visual aid  B4 (top) B3 (lower)

image.jpg.46d312810031b77cc16bd081740215fd.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Visual aid  B4 (top) B3 (lower)

image.jpg.46d312810031b77cc16bd081740215fd.jpg

this is info that DCM might want to know since they repopped theses visor assemblies.

8 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

this is info that DCM might want to know since they repopped theses visor assemblies.

ah shucks, i'll let you bring it up to them if you like.

not to get into a vendor bash but, I have tried in the past (on a different part) without success . (AND it would probably mean more to them coming from you)

anyhow, if you end up telling him. I noticed on the two above, that the larger one (for the B4) didn't have the what I will call the "slide stop"

1043211735_visorarm(1a).jpg.9b8762f086cfdd8c6363778cff28708b.jpg

my guess is, it doesn't have it because the B4 is already close to the length the shorter one is when it is extended   

If you end up needing measurements let me know.

That slide stop is supposed to stay inside of the stapled visor retainer.... sometimes they pull out with the visor rod as shown.

• 6 months later...

Just purchased a 1953 and can not get the visor metal strip to move up and down.  The bar moves toward the door and windshield. I don't see any damage to the metal strip, which does slide out and in on the bar easily. What am I missing here?