Resurrecting the passenger visor project

ggdad1951

Mr. Paul Flaming and I have a solution to the passenger side visor reproduction! :cool: (we think)

BUT I need one of those cotter pin held together ones to take apart and model components off of. Dodgeb4ya had a picture in the other thread and if I could get a hold of one like that I think we can get this back on track for everyone. If there are other "models", besides the ones like I have for my '51 I'd entertain getting those modeled up as well.

Someone let me know if they want to be the HERO and send me one so I can measure it up! I'd need the base and the arm assembly to spec all the parts, it does NOT have to be a passenger side visor.

It would be VERY helpful maybe necessary, to know how many would make a verbal commitment to this item before we make hard and fast decisions. So please PM myself or Mark on how many you would want and within six months when. Those numbers will have a direct influence on continuing. As it stands now the mount would be out of aluminum ready for you to paint, chrome, etc.

Paul

thanks Ed, if someone can tell me if one of these is used in the Pilothouse trucks and isn't like mine? With enough interest we can make that version as well.

But I will borrow one of those for sure to copy the joint design.

It would be VERY helpful maybe necessary, to know how many would make a verbal commitment to this item before we make hard and fast decisions. So please PM myself or Mark on how many you would want and within six months when. Those numbers will have a direct influence on continuing. As it stands now the mount would be out of aluminum ready for you to paint, chrome, etc.

Paul

I think Mark had plenty of "verbal commitments" for his spare tire hardware, yet sales have been minimal since they became available. I believe pre-orders, with cash on the barrell, would be necessary this time.

Merle

When the Spare Tire Hardware thing came up, I didn't want to rain on Marks parade and just kept my mouth shut. I once tried to do a group buy for a bunch of BMW M3 guys (like myself at the time) It ended up being a nightmare. Almost a mini full-time-job and in the end I went from about 50 wanna's to just a few committed that put their money where their mouth was. I swore I'd never do that again. Money up front is the only way to go. I totally trust Mark.

Hank :(

Mark,

Do you want me to send mine or can you get what you need from Young Ed?

Ed's should cover it. I just want to see how they did it so I can copy/modify it in to the swaged on version style I have.

Edited by ggdad1951

Is there a difference between the left and right side arms, or is just the end bracket different? What I'm asking is, could one aquire an additional driver's side visor and swap the "new" passenger side bracket onto the arm to convert it? If so I'll be shopping for another visor, and I'm in on the brackets.

Merle

Ed's should cover it. I just want to see how they did it so I can copy/modify it in to the swaged on version style I have.

So you're going to make both styles?

'48-'50 mouse eared base with a cotter pin and

the '51-'58 (I think it goes up that far) with

the more triangular base and swaged arm.

post-6239-13585372575363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a difference between the left and right side arms, or is just the end bracket different? What I'm asking is, could one aquire an additional driver's side visor and swap the "new" passenger side bracket onto the arm to convert it? If so I'll be shopping for another visor, and I'm in on the brackets.

Merle

The '48-'50 arms look like they'd be the same.

Merle

So you're going to make both styles?

'48-'50 mouse eared base with a cotter pin and

the '51-'58 (I think it goes up that far) with

the more triangular base and swaged arm.

I don't see any difference between the arms of my pair (swaged). I don't see any reason why the arms would be different on a version we make. If there is enough interest I can model up the "mouse ear" version as well.

I looked at the 1948-50 chrome arms and they have a "V" groove along the length of the arm. I could not find a RT side (pass) 1948-50 arm to see if they are the same. The 1948-50 parts book shows "Arm assemblies" RT and left as different part numbers. 1951 on up are a completely different arm. Yet the parts book does list mount brackets as RT/Lft- 1ea. visor covers same RT/Lft ect. So unless a RT chrome arm can be looked at don't be so sure the arms are the same.

The groove holds the visor up against the roof. It does this as the arm groove indexes with stamped detents in the visor bracket tube. So I would think a RT and Left arm are required.

There is one less 1951-3 Mount bracket in existance. I dropped the bare arm and bracket three feet to the carpeted floor and the bracket ears broke! I am abit PO'd about that to say the least. No more studies of these visors for awhile!:mad:

Some pics....

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

It was a drivers side. I didn't touch the passenger side!

I looked at the 1948-50 chrome arms and they have a "V" groove along the length of the arm. I could not find a RT side (pass) 1948-50 arm to see if they are the same. The 1948-50 parts book shows "Arm assemblies" RT and left as different part numbers. 1951 on up are a completely different arm. Yet the parts book does list mount brackets as RT/Lft- 1ea. visor covers same RT/Lft ect. So unless a RT chrome arm can be looked at don't be so sure the arms are the same.

The groove holds the visor up against the roof. It does this as the arm groove indexes with stamped detents in the visor bracket tube. So I would think a RT and Left arm are required.

There is one less 1951-3 Mount bracket in existance. I dropped the bare arm and bracket three feet to the carpeted floor and the bracket ears broke! I am abit PO'd about that to say the least. No more studies of these visors for awhile!:mad:

Some pics....

Bob

I'd think you could make it so a later year arm could fit in the base? Who'd know? It seems to work for for the 51-53 years!

I think any arm could be used or fabbed as long as the visor tube and arm will work properly. In other works the visor will stay set in the position you put it at and not fall down. The visor tubes are made different for 1948-50 than 1951-53.

Just some pics to show differences, assembly and how the visors work. 1951-53 friction clip, stop tabs and differences of 1948-50 and 1951-53 and later visor tubes.

Bob

I think any arm could be used or fabbed as long as the visor tube and arm will work properly. In other works the visor will stay set in the position you put it at and not fall down. The visor tubes are made different for 1948-50 than 1951-53.

Just some pics to show differences, assembly and how the visors work. 1951-53 friction clip, stop tabs and differences of 1948-50 and 1951-53 and later visor tubes.

Bob

so if I'm clear you are saying that using a 51-53 arm would be ok with a repoped base for the 48-50's, or vice-versa? Or is there an orientation problem with using a drivers arm on the passenger side for the 48-50?