photos and projects for my 1.5-ton

wallytoo

time to replace the bed floor. the floor of the dump body has the kiln-dried spruce that a previous owner installed. it was untreated when i purchased the truck. i added several coats of stain, and motor oil, but it has rotted out. no surprise, really, as k-d spruce isn't particularly rot-resistant.

took the truck on a trip to pick up a load of eastern hemlock to replace the floor. 12-footers, 1.5-inches thick, rough sawn. i'll coat them entirely with several coats of used motor oil before installation.

meanwhile, i'll have to grind off about 30 of the bolts holding the floor on, as the p/o used a welder rather than lock-nuts. :rolleyes:

you can see some of the rot and broken floor boards in the pics.

post-1455-13585371645149_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371645709_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371646528_thumb.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

The best part is it will smell like motor oil for a long time too-especially baking in the sun.:rolleyes:

Slugs won't crawl on the oiled bed either. I have done the same on a couple of my trucks. The lingering blue sheen is ugly though in the rain.

• 2 months later...

Looks great! I love it seeing a big truck being used like your'e doing! I never have seen anyone using these old dodges around here. :)

Bob

Nice looking job.  That is one substantial bed.  I've been working on the bed of mine.  When I bought the truck (originally a firetruck) it had an old dump body on it that didn't quite fit the truck.  I took it off, painted the frame and went looking for a period correct flatbed body.  I found one in a junkyard just before Thanksgiving.  I got it mounted, but it was too long for my chassis.  I cut it down, and started working on the sideboards.  I want to get a set of stake arms for it and make it into a stakebed like my 1 ton.  Your truck looks good!   Mike

picture of the piston, and a little of the underside of the bed, showing some of the bed frame. the dump unit is an add-on, but appears to fit really well to the truck chassis. it does have an i.d. plate attached, but i haven't removed the paint to determine the manufacturer/model.

post-495-0-01434800-1358685768_thumb.jpg

Looks great! I love it seeing a big truck being used like your'e doing! I never have seen anyone using these old dodges around here. :)

Bob

Pretty common around here! I use mine for everything...manure, wood chips, sand, loam, scrap metal, logs, cordwood...sailboat fuel.....mine came from right around Wally's so maybe mine picked up the habit! ;)

I use mine too. Though not as much on our busy roads around here. They will "yailgate" you all the way.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

It's just the last part of a big Maple tree I cut down. No devils club on my place!

DodgeB4YA is that truck in NY and did it come from Maine?  If it is, I remember seeing that when it was a firetruck not too far north of here.  Sat by the side of the road for a good while.  In any event, I really like your collection.  Mike

• 3 weeks later...

added more to the truck. this time, it is a tachometer. a modern one, because that's what i could find. at least it's only a 6,000 rpm version, rather than a 10,000. the gauge is made by autometer, and i installed it on the steering column. i used a jeep cj sparton turn signal clamp, and used a small piece of steel as a pedestal to attach to the clamp and the gauge.

because the truck has already been converted to 12-volt, this was a pretty simple add-on. ran one wire to the distributer side of the coil (-), one to a 12-volt key-on hot source, one to ground, and one to the dash lighting system.

i don't mind the look, and the gauge isn't too showy. it is nice to have a better idea of the rpms (i like to keep it around 2750 to 2850 for most things).

post-495-0-51474800-1360542932_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-45679700-1360542958_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-55637100-1360542993_thumb.jpgpost-495-0-16532900-1360543022_thumb.jpg

I just did one for my 1 ton.  I ended up taking the switch apart and finding the input to the center post, once I did that I just cycled the switch to determine which were the left and right side feeds and marked them.  I always liked that particular style switch.  Very period correct.

Hey buddy would you happen to have the wiring diagram for that turn signal switch. I just bought one off ebay and need to wire it up to my truck. Your help would be apreciated thanks

Ed.

sorry, ed. i don't have a wiring diagram for it. it was already installed when i purchased the truck.

wally

I didn't have a wire diagram for my turn signal switch, so I got out my ohm meter and checked continuity between all of the wires and charted what had continuity to what in each position. Once I checked all possible combinations I was able to determine how to wire it up.

The "Brake" input will have continuity to both rear lamps with the switch off, and will loose continuity to one of the lamps when the switch is moved to an activated position. The one that looses continuity when the switch is moved to "Left Turn" position is the left rear lamp, and vice verse. Now you've got 3 wires figured out. With the switch in an activated position, you can now find the continuity between the "Flasher" input and the front and rear lamps. (You already know which is the rear) It only takes a couple of minutes, and if you write down your findings you'll have it figured out in no time.

Merle