Windshield rubber

I took the time this evening to do a trial fit of the windshield rubber in the cab frame. I bought this rubber back in march of 2000 with full intentions of using it within a few months. Well fast forward about 7 years and I find that I am finally close to installing the windshield glass :(

The fit was not good at all. This is a one piece gasket I bought from Roberts. The rubber still seems nice and pliable and the quality looks to be fine. There appears to be an inside and an outside to it and I believe I got that part right.

The questions are, do you have to stretch the rubber while installing? Or should it fit all the way around BEFORE putting the glass in?

It seems like its a couple of inches or more short overall. If I start in the front center and center the vertical bar and then start working my way around one side when I get to the top its a good 2 or 3 inches from being in the center where it needs to be. Currently I don't see anyway I could stretch it while installing to make it fit.

Do I need to do something like install the glass in the rubber with it laying on the shop floor and let it sit that way for a while?

HELP :D

Brad

Brad, The rubber goes on the glass first, then use a heavy string or cord in the groove in the rubber, put the windshield against the outside frame of the windshield opening and pull the cord to pull the rubber lip into the inside of the truck, you will need a helper to do this. Hope this helps. Byron

Brad, The rubber goes on the glass first, then use a heavy string or cord in the groove in the rubber, put the windshield against the outside frame of the windshield opening and pull the cord to pull the rubber lip into the inside of the truck, you will need a helper to do this. Hope this helps. Byron

Bryon,

I really appreciate the reply. Now I can sleep easier tonight knowing that the rubber gasket is probably ok :eek::D

I'll have to see if I can find the time this weekend to trial fit the glass in the frame.

One last question. Is there any sealant that gets used anywhere? Such as between the glass and the rubber or between the rubber and the cab?

Thanks!

Brad

When I installed mine, I put it out in the sun for awhile to loosen it up. It goes on from the inside of the cab. There were three of us and it went in fine, two of us sitting in the cab and one pulling the string/rope from outside.

When I installed mine, I put it out in the sun for awhile to loosen it up. It goes on from the inside of the cab. There were three of us and it went in fine, two of us sitting in the cab and one pulling the string/rope from outside.

Jim,

Hmm, sounds like it can go either way. Be interesting to see which way seems to be the more prevalent. I'm betting that either way its a bear!

How about it, who has used the inside out method and who has used the outside in method :confused:

Thanks,

Brad

You have much better control of the install if you pull the rope from the outside. It needs to be about 1/8 to 3/16 in dia. and a tight weave. A sqeeze bottle of very soapy water will help alot. You should not put any sealant between the rubber and glass or frame, it will make it very hard to get out if you should ever need to. I cut my first windsheld glass the same size as the original but it was to tight of a fit for the Roberts Rubber. Ended up cutting 2 more pieces a fraction smaller for the right fit. Dutch

Ditto on the sun to soften it up. I had mine installed by the guy that cut the glass so if there were any problems they were his. Cost me $50 for both the 2 pcs of glass and to have it installed. I think the original or the better gaskets have a wider outside lip, but the one from Roberts is ok. MBF