My Offy Intake & Reds Headers Transplant

Mark D

Headed down to the garage last night to clear my mind of the days drudgery. Opened the hood of the car and stared at the carbs for a few minutes and decided that since I hadnt had time to call George about my stripped threads that I would at least fool around with the linkage geometry. As I started digging for my tools I noticed a bag of old carb parts and remembered that I had an old fuel bowl in there. After some clean-up and examination I realized this was a bowl that had a stripped cap thread on the side opposite the fuel fill. I came up with a bolt and nut that was able to act in place of the cap screw, so I tour down the number two carb (rear) and rebuilt it with the Asche internal parts.

Delighted to report that after a couple hours of pleasant distraction, I reinstalled the carb, inserted the key, hit the starter and after the fuel bowl filled she fired right up! After she warmed up I drove her around the parking lot a bit. Seemed to run good, but the idle is still a little high and the draft on the back carb is still slightly higher than the front carb. Also noticed a funny feel in the gas pedal. Thought it might be related to the new linkage geometry, but after I chasing it from joint to joint, I found that the rubber pedal connection point had broken. Super glued that back together for the time being and secured it with a tie-wrap until I can score a replacement.

So here she is running about 3 minutes after I started her up with the rebuilt rear carb.

Now all I have to do is fiddle with the air cleaners to get them installed. The necks of the carbs are a smaller diameter than the air cleaners I bought. After that I'm gonna replace the mufflers with the thrushes that arrived last week. Then all will be right with the world again. :) Thanks to everyone who posted and gave me pointers and advice.

• Like 2

Super glue is super. I also used super glue to repair the ball socket in my foot feed pedal. That was about 10 years ago and it is still holding well.

I recall I had to replace the original throttle return spring with a heavier one to correct my high idle problem. That also was about 10 years ago and still working well.

Yeah I have the same problem Mark with that setup.  I can lightly pull back on the accelerator pedal and get it to idle back down.

Probably going to take Don's advice and put on a heavier return spring as well.

Thanks Steve, Embarrassingly enough I ran out of gas! All the fiddling during the winter burnt what I had left in the tank. I was so excited to get her out I neglected to notice she fell below a quarter tank which in my car = empty.

• 2 years later...

Yep, I agree, just read it from the start........Hows the car going Mark.........and more importantly.........how are you?.....lol.....regards, Andyd