1941 Plymouth Headlight Switch

oilslickwillie

When I rewired my car the lights worked great and first and then I started blowing fuses too. I had a wire too close to my clutch pedal and after a couple months of rubbing the tape and insulation were gone and I had a short everytime I pushed the clutch in.

• 6 months later...

Desoto, thanks for the link, I have the knob off but can't figure out how to get the switch out. There is some kind of bezel on the shaft. It looks like this bezel holds the switch in place. I'm thinking that there is a special tool that's needed to loosen/get the bezel off. The switches that I've seen on other cars have a nut screwed on to the shaft or a release button located on the switch to release the shaft.

Do a search on here for townwagon. He sells the tool for those. You can do it with a pliers either snap ring or needle nose but its risky to both tool and bezel.

• 8 years later...

Cycle the dimmer switch about twenty times.  Then take a test probe light, and see where your 0roblem is.  Also make aj umper wire and connect the lamp directly to the battery.  My bet would be poor grounds, or too much resistance through the dimmer, 9r corrosion on the terminal block where the wires going out to the head

Lamps.  Also cycle the head light switch many times to clear corrosion there.