Anyone know what color this is, or whose car it is?

austinsailor

I'm starting on my '53 and I love the color of this '54 someone posted on a previous thread. I'm trying to figure out how to have paint mixed like it, or pretty close.

I'm not sure if the owner would be flattered or pissed that I want to duplicate his paint, but if anyone can tell me the color or whose car it is so I can ask, I'd appreciate it.

post-1283-13585371244342_thumb.jpg

Went to the paint store today. The picture has too many varied colors due to lighting to do any good. Tried to match the chips they had, nothing looked good. they said it's best if I can either get a paint code or year/color, or bring something bigger than a credit card to shoot with their gun.

Guess I might be watching cars on the street, may ask someone to follow me to the paint store!

I've got the fender skirts, can buy the visor any day I want to part with $600 or so, the the continental kit is a bit more elusive.

Got my 3" wide white Diamondback a couple days ago. I'd like to paint the wheels before I mount them, but the paint code is hindering me.

Hopefully, by the time you read this I'll own these moon hubcaps for it, I like them better than the flippers, which are still pretty cool. I think the moons go with this style car.

post-1283-13585371244871_thumb.jpg

I'm starting on my '53 and I love the color of this '54 someone posted on a previous thread. I'm trying to figure out how to have paint mixed like it, or pretty close.

I'm not sure if the owner would be flattered or pissed that I want to duplicate his paint, but if anyone can tell me the color or whose car it is so I can ask, I'd appreciate it.

I painted my 54 years ago, and it looks like it might be the same. San Pedro blue is what I used. Mine has a black top though.

looked at some of the documentation I have on the 54 model Plymouths..the car is a Model 703 Sport Coupe (Belvedere only, 2 dr HT) goes on to say the Belvedere wre available only in four color combinations..San Pedro Blue is the only blue color listed with the complimenting second color being San Leandro Ivory or San Mateo Wheat..

so if this is anywhere accurate..the San Pedro Blue is your color...and if your mixer has any access to the older formula/color numbers..the color number for the San Pedro is 607

Now comes the kicker..though Belvedere had thier own paint colors..they could be also special ordered in any Savoy color by a customer..Solitaire Blue, Modesto Blue, Avalon Blue, Dutch Blue#2 and being a rebuilt car in the picture, customer/owner could have optioned for any close match to what may have been original and you could be guessing at any color..in cases like this..you pick the clor closest to the car and pleasing to your eye...on my 54 I changed my color from Pasadena Gray to a generic sky blue that appealed to my eye..

two tone scheme was 675 Upper paint 80640 San Leandro Ivory and lower color 11073 San Pedro Blue...the prefix for the above Ditzler colors was DQE for enamal paint and DAL for lacquer

This site has some further info on paint codes.You might also check Plymouth 1955 "Miami Blue" as well as others through 1957..

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&rows=50

Ralph makes a good point, somewhere I read long ago when I first got my '54 that the later production units picked up some of the 1955 colors before the release of the new model year..proof..none..plausible..yes..so would not rule the '55 colors out..it was part of a blurb that spoke of the enhancements to boost sales for the low performing '54 model year

the site I get my info from and is an easy to use site is TCP Global..just type in auto color library and it gets you there...the paint chips are scanned from the actual books of the day and the blurb on color number is often shown also...I pretty much figured most know of this site..

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1954-plymouth-pg01.jpg

however..know this and the color number..the paint of today is not of the same ingredients and thus any color they mix cannot be guaranteed a match (all mixer that is honest will tell you this up fornt) but they will be close and most with the scanner will find a modern substitute that is very very close..approximations if basically all you going to get and if parked alongside a survivor..well paint aged will not relect as it did new...sometimes close is as best you can get..I have spoke directly to the factory of DuPont, Ditzler/PPG and also R&M...this is the source for my above color match statement..

I spent a little time on Ebay looking at paint chips. Looks like San Pedro Blue is a 54 Plymouth color and looks a lot like that picture. I'll print out the paint chip page and take it to a couple paint shops. With that info one of them should be able to come up with it. Thanks for the tip.

I looked at all the '53 colors and didn't see any that appealed to me. The original paint on mine is a light green, but I think the 54 colors were better.

What you can find if you keep searching.

Here's the formula for that color:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1954&manuf=Chrysler&smodel=Plymouth&info=&page=7

It says lacquer on there, not sure if that will easily translate to modern paint, but I'm making progress.

I'm sandblasting my wheels, 1 done, 3 to go. I want to paint them this weekend so I can mount the tires.

"Were can I get a visor for my 53 ? "

They are on Ebay occasionally, new, about $675 as I recall.

"your question broght this question tomy mind..onthe 53, what took the place of the center divide support? "

Tim, the '53 is the first year of the curved windshield. No support needed. Also, that is why the generic visor won't fit.

Gene

Yes, as an owner of a '54 with the one piece curved glass I have to say I have never seen one with a visor attached in life or in a picture..thus the comment I made...as many with these visors will tell you the air foil these things are when mounted causes a very lifting action at speed and without a center mount will rise and pull hard against the side mounts...and a few folks here have lost a visor due to this action even with the center support affixed...they are also not listed as an option for the car..one could I guess adapt the cneter mounting common to the early 50's Stude and but still think it will be a bit inadequate..