Body Number Codes - Need help

Jim Benjaminson

Several years back, I collected all the body number codes used by Plymouth from 1928 up to the early 60s when these code numbers were no longer used. The information was easy to gather from the registrations of cars owned by members of the Plymouth Owners Club, of which I am secretary.

Over the years I've been asked if I could provide these numbers for Dodge, DeSoto & Chrysler. I have been able to collect a few of these numbers by observing vehicles at car shows, junk yards, original build records provided by owners, etc.

From the few non-Plymouth numbers I have been able to collect I sense a pattern similiar to, but not the same as Plymouth. For example - a 1932 Plymouth convertible coach had a body code number of 536. The 1932 Dodge DM convertible coach had a body code of 546. A 1940 Plymouth convertible had a body code of 204, while a 1940 Dodge convertible had a body code of 224.

If readers of this forum would be willing to send me the body code from their Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler I will gather this information and post if on the forum. Please be specific as to model (Deluxe, Special Deluxe, etc) and especially to body style - is it a four door without a trunk or a four door with a trunk, for example. Business coupe or rumble seat or club coupe? The more specific, the less chance for errors in the final tally.

Information can be posted to this forum and sent to me directly at benji@utma.com

Thanks

Here is what is on my 1939 Metal build plate that is attatched to the passenger side of the cowel inside the engine compartment

DESOTO MOTO CORP

DETROIT MICHIGAN

S6S - 25534

507-677

JOB NO - 67-493

S6S IS THE MODEL NUMBER I HAVE FOUND THAT IF IT IS S6X THEN THAT IS AN EXPORT

507 = THE PAINT CODE

677 = THE INTERIOR CODE

PAINT CODE USED ON 39 DESOTO

107 - BLACK

217 CASCADE BLUE

218 MIDNITE BLUE

311 GEN GREEN

406 WILLIAMSBURG TAN

507 STREAMLINER GRAY

608 REGAL MAROON

809 PALACE MULBERRY

iNTERIOR CODES ARE NOT VERY SPEIFIC IN COLOR

592, 672, 677, 683 ARE ALL CLOTH

THE REST ARE LEATHER

810 - BLUE

811 RED

812 TAN

tHIS INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM MY 39 dESOTO PARTS BOOK FROM GROUP 23 SECTION

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as much as I would like to help I am not sure what can be done..I looked at the body tags on my Dodge cars I have here and I cannot find a body style number on either, one is a '41 and the other is a '47 and both have the same style tags on them and unlike the Briggs labels placed on the Plymouths I saw no reference to a style number......unless...ont he '41 the numbers about 6 inches lower than the tag and in about 3/8 inch stamped numbers were 221 on the top and 5670 on the bottom..the 47 did not have similar numbers on it's firewall..so could 221 be the style number on the '41? both of these cars are Dodge Town Sedans..each being the higer line Custom series, with the 47 being established as a yet more factory equipped and referred to as a Town Sedan Special.

If the Chrysler and DeSoto was similar to my Dodges..this may prove to be why no numbers are being posted for you to record..

BUT....if there is yet another place on the body that may have this number recorded, shoot me a line and I will gladly take yet another gander for the info...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

that number just identifies the body number as stamped by Briggs for Chrysler..the first three will represent the body style, (coupe, sedan etc) and the numerical sequence is the body build at Briggs...when the car is accepted at Evansville, the E denotation on the body style, when it rolls off the assembly line as completed car, it will be given a body number from Chrysler and should be found on the drivers A post and the engine number was often the only one on the titles back in those days and will have different Series number prefix assigned by Chrysler, this number is also stamped on the frame in the vicinity of tip up for the rear axle driver's side.

On 10/19/2012 at 9:29 AM, 1950 Special Deluxe said:

1950 Dodge Special Deluxe

Model Number D36C-C-CPE

Body Number 1105

Paint Code 4155

Trim Code CAK

Serial Number 98018016

Engine Number D36 5895C

Made in Windsor

The body number on the Canadian tag (ca 1935 to 1965) is the sequential number for that body style.  Thus Body Number 1105 is the 1,105th D36C C-CPE  (1950 vSpecial DeLuxe Club Coupe) built.

(Paint Code 4155 is Gunmetal, which was a Canada-only colour.)