Restorating a P-15 business coupe.

veterantechnic

the bulkhead or the seperation between the trunk and passenger compartment is a piece of 3/16 thick plywood painted black, mounted onthe passenge side of the "X" supports. The is a piece of black leatherette faced pressed paper like material mounted wiht the finished side facing the trunk side of the "X" shaped supports. sandwiching the supports between the pieces This can be usually had from upholstery supply house and is shaped to fit to the sides of the body and the floor of the trunk. The package tray that tops the area between the bulkhead and the window is the same material.

The passenger side of the plywood then is finished with a piece of upholstered backer board. Material is generally the same as the door panel with a 6 inch wide band of leatheratte vinyl, but I forget if it is at the top or at the bottom.

Edited by greg g

• 4 weeks later...

That is by far some of the BEST fabrication work I have seen..........I would suggest you look into making some of the panels and repair pieces, the big problem I have seen is getting something that is CORRECT, if its correct, even with a relatively high price people are prepared to pay for quality, crap is always crap and your stuff is just plain exquisite........just seeing the pics is worth it..........many thanks, andyd

Amen! I don't mind spending good money on good parts. It beats the hell out of spending almost as much on crap parts that you have to modify to get them to even work.

Is there any way to save this whole thread to my hard drive?

the bulkhead or the seperation between the trunk and passenger compartment is a piece of 3/16 thick plywood painted black, mounted onthe passenge side of the "X" supports. The is a piece of black leatherette faced pressed paper like material mounted wiht the finished side facing the trunk side of the "X" shaped supports. sandwiching the supports between the pieces This can be usually had from upholstery supply house and is shaped to fit to the sides of the body and the floor of the trunk. The package tray that tops the area between the bulkhead and the window is the same material.

The passenger side of the plywood then is finished with a piece of upholstered backer board. Material is generally the same as the door panel with a 6 inch wide band of leatheratte vinyl, but I forget if it is at the top or at the bottom.

I will have to look on mine but if it matches the rest of the interior it would be at the bottom.

The Michelangelo of auto sculpturing. Question: Do you do this for your personal enjoyment and/or is there a niche market out there for cars reconstructed to such 'perfection'?  

I just went thru this thread again and I am still astounded, amazed and inspired by the quality of work that has been done......a great way to start the day.......thanks, andyd   

First time I've read this thread and, like everybody else, I'm super-impressed with the fantastic metal work. This car is a show-stopper before it's even finished!

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I have a question about paint for P-15. Does anybody know how the body was painted. I found just one square foot original paint from the under floor. On the area above the gearbox. And it was dark grey. From the outside the car has painted originally green.

Could it be that the bottom and inside of the bodies were painted a dark gray, but the outside using a variety of colors?

Thank you for answer.

Leevi Naagel

Hello.

I have a question about paint for P-15. Does anybody know how the body was painted. I found just one square foot original paint from the under floor. On the area above the gearbox. And it was dark grey. From the outside the car has painted originally green.

Could it be that the bottom and inside of the bodies were painted a dark gray, but the outside using a variety of colors?

Thank you for answer.

Leevi Naagel

Yes I would say its entirely possible that all the insides were grey. I know on the p23s the interiors were all an odd greyish. Easier which means cheaper to do it that way.

Edited by Young Ed

I found what looked to be original grey paint on the blue truck firewall when I removed the body tags. I found the original blue color paint preserved under the metal trim windscreen surround where it sealed against the windscreen rubber. I wondered whether the factory splashed a bit of grey paint on the vehicles at the factory around as a sealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I sure wished you lived close enough I could get you to do the left rear quarter of my 33 coupe around the rumble seat opening  area. The whole channel is rusted away. I'd pay good money to be able to watch and help you do the repair.

• 3 weeks later...

Your work is exceptional!  Please keep the pictures coming!  I have a 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe (P9).  I will take pictures of the package tray from that, but they aren't exactly the same car as the postwar business coupes.  Maybe it will help give you an idea how your car should go together.  You are a true craftsman, and thanks for restoring this car back to its former glory.  Most people here would end up just trying to fix it with galvanized sheet metal and newspapers -- like what you found!

• 3 weeks later...
Hello guys. Thank you for nice words. Especial thanks for greg g, Mark D, mr. Bill and other guys for shearing information.
Now I need to have knowledge about original colour. Like I told former I found some pieces of original gray under the body. So, I ordered new paint by visual.
Now I am not very sure any more, have I got right tone. (RAL 7021) To research from the Forum I found that the right tone is Ecosheen gray. It is based more like green, not to blue like RAL 7021.
Also I got to know that with Ecosheen gray was covered everything exepted outside surfaces. It means all inside, saloon and trunk, weels arcs front and rear, hood and trunk lid under side. But how about fire wall from engine side?
Also side panels of engine compartment?

Thanks 

can´t help with the colours I´m afraid, but I needed to chirp up and say this is probably the most inspiring thread out of the many that I´ve read in the last couple of months regarding body restoration on these cars. I will be attempting something similar on a 39 dodge soon.It is quite unlikely to reach your standard but it is always great to have perfection like this in mind. very well done :)