youalls opinion

Got my 52 to my dads place(finally). Pretty sad shape,really more of a parts truck. I have found a 49 less than a mile from my house. I haven't seen it yet, but a freind of mine has. I talked this weekend with the owner. I believe it to be a 3/4 ton. All there,running when parked ?years ago.(he is a retired car dealer, with lots of old parts, cars, and a few old hemis). Buddy says interior looks good, doors and hood all open good,paint is mostly intact,just faded. Sounds like a good starter.He has another pilot-house,not sure about it,no engine. I know i can buy the 49 for 450.00, gonna try for both of them at that price. Does the price sound fair?

Guest Dave Claussen

If it's really all there and in as good of shape as you say (and hope) I'd say it sounds like a fair price. Even if you're not sure if the engine will turn over, you can probably get it going with a little work. Just my 2 and 1/2 cents worth. Any other opinions surely welcome. Dave C.

I've looked at many of these Dodge trucks in the past few years. The first place I now look at a perspective purchase is the floor boards. These seem to be very tender. Check both sides, in front of the seat risers and at the cab rear, beneath the rear windiws. These Dodge window gaskets leaked when they sat outside and made major problems. If you find a cab with sound floor boards, you are a long way towards a oood driver or restoration candidate. Nexr place to look is the bottom of the doors. If doors and floor are all sound, don't let it get away.

My own project has floor metal in the right side from both Montana and North Dakota, plus a lot of mig welding time. These rusty spots are time consuming to repair and make look correct. Engine and drive train parts are fairly easy to come by. Next toughest pieces to find are good grille moldings and pieces. Those old guys must nave driven by "ear." Lastly, pickup rear fenders get cabbaged pretty badly and are mot easy to finmd. JMHO Lots of ljuck.:)

Just got back from the Pate Swap Meet at the Texas Motor Speedway north of Fort Worth. All I can say is if it were a Ford or Chevy truck you were looking at you could add another zero to the price! Very poor condition and very over priced! Dodge is a bargain!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) To steal Packard's line: Ask the man who owns one (and paid $500).

Richard

Just got back from the Pate Swap Meet at the Texas Motor Speedway north of Fort Worth. All I can say is if it were a Ford or Chevy truck you were looking at you could add another zero to the price! Very poor condition and very over priced! Dodge is a bargain!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) To steal Packard's line: Ask the man who owns one (and paid $500).

Richard

Richard,

My wife and I went to Pate as well and for the most part were disappointed. As you mentioned EVERYTHING that was ford or chevy was outlandish in price. We didn't even see to much mopar stuff. I don't think we even finished walking around the place.

The one that is held in Arlington has always been better. We plan on hitting the next one thats held there.

Brad