Driver door lock

pflaming

Those of you who drive your trucks daily, (1) what have you done to

unlock the driver door from the outside? (2) Has anyone figured out a way to lock the hood wings?

Edited by pflaming

You might be able to replace the hood handles with some sort of key lock that moves the rods for the hood. Sort of like a tool box lock. The only way I know of other than street rod latches for the drivers door would be to source a RHD latch setup with has the lock setup in it.

I've never finished the project but I planned to use an electric remote door lock setup that uses a dead bolt like set up that goes through the door to the outside door frame.

I was playing with it one night, but I just couldn't get the slide to work right, someday I'll finish...

• Like 1

When leaving from home, I unlock the passenger door and tap the drivers door handle down with my california dust brush then enter the cab from the drivers side, but I could just as easily get in the passenger side. Sometimes when out and about I'll leave the truck windows down, with a club lock on the steering wheel and both handles in the upper locked position, this way, I can enter exit from the drivers side.

Most times when I'm out and about I roll up the windows and fasten the wing windows pull up the drivers door handle exit the passenger door and lock the cab like it was designed.

The really best solution would have to be done at the bare metal stage (someone mentioned this) where you'd cut a square that has the lock hole from the passenger door and weld it into the drivers door and do whatever it takes to the door lock mechanism to actually have a factory-look drivers door lock.

If I can't be bothered, I use another vehicle.

Hank :)

Those of you who drive your trucks daily, (1) what have you done to

unlock the driver door from the outside [uNQUOTE]

My truck ( 1941 ) is older than yours and so my solution might not work for you, but , I bought a new locking door handle from Vintage Power Wagons that is keyed in the center . The style of the new locking handle doesn't match the passenger side handle but you can't see both sides of the truck at once anyway . The new locking handle is a great convenience . My new locking handle was made in one of the asian countries and the handle and I had a hard time getting used to each other , but we get along fine now . I wonder if you might find an older American made locking handle that will work .

You could always get an Oz door locking mechanism and install it in your driver's door. It would require cutting a hole for an external lock in the door outer, but then you could use the key to lock the door from the outside. We have the mechanisms for your driver's side of the vehicle here in Oz.

Desotodav

post-7583-13585370875256_thumb.jpg

been pondering on this also. i figured i would try to do something when i go to redo the doors. easier to the doors while on work bench. at same time doing interior and door jambs.

thought about the oz doors, also thought about a electric setup. on my dakota i got the shaved handles, havent locked it in years. but i like handles on these ol trucks. so maybe a electric lock setup. since i dont have keys for door locks anyway.

You could always get an Oz door locking mechanism and install it in your driver's door. It would require cutting a hole for an external lock in the door outer, but then you could use the key to lock the door from the outside. We have the mechanisms for your driver's side of the vehicle here in Oz.

Desotodav

OOooo no I had better go and see what I have just thrown in the scrap bin.

Maybe I could do a swap. One OZ door lock for one US door lock.

also thought about a electric setup

This interests me the most. Some solenoids have a half circle action which might work on the hoods. 3dodgedobedo: Let us know what you find.

Crazies here on the west coast help themselves to about anything. They must think we are all part of the government. If I leave a piece of metal in the alley, in three days it's gone.

For 3dodge:

To do is to be: Plato

To be or not to be: Shakespeare

Do be do be do: Sanatra

Edited by pflaming

There is a 1952 Pilothouse street rod for sale along side of mine at

www.pantownclassic.com

Just scroll down for Dodge and select the yellow pickup

The pictures don't do it justice but he has a push button under the running boards for the doors and then the hood is a push button right where the handle would be. He has a switch inside to disable the hood buttons.

Dennis

I have been thinking about cable operated hood locking system for a while.

Seems to me it should be possible to use the same type of cable or cables we already have for the throttle / choke and cobble something together to disable the hood handles. It could be done so that it looks the period this way.

Just an idea for now.

Jeff

You guys need to find a 46-48 dodge car hood setup and see how it works. They are a split side hood like your trucks with a interior cable release per side.

Thanks Ed;

It would be very helpful to see how this was done. I figured something like this existed. It is probably pretty simple......maybe even something that could be made up into a kit?

Jeff

I found the same problem with the dodge truck lock system and I wanted to have the ability to lock the door from the driver’s side and get “in” and “out” of the same door. So what I did was to weld a slide plate to the driver’s door latch/remote. As we all know the passenger door has the actual lock system and when you turn the key the lock cylinder moves a metal lever into a slot in the latch and prevents it from moving the outside door handle. Simple and effective.

The driver’s does not have this part on the latch system, but it does have the hole where the lever would go if you had a lock system. So what I did was weld on a small piece of metal to the bottom of the latch just like the passenger side, except have a modern lock solenoid to move the lever “in” and “out” of the slot in the passenger and driver’s door.

The whole thing worked well but if you vibrated the latch system enough the lever would slowly slide down and you would be able to open the door again. I was hoping the solenoid, after activation, would hold its position whether it was activated “up” to lock the door or activated “down” to unlock .the door. Unfortunately, the solenoid, after being activated, remains loose in its position until activated again, so I had to add a spring and a small dent in the metal slide rod to hold the slide rod in the “up” position so it could not slide down if the door or the lock system is vibrated or shook several times.

I have some photos of what I am talking about and hope this helps. My truck does not have wiring system yet, but when I activate the solenoids in either direction the new remote lock system woks quite well and will stay locked if needed. To activate the solenoids you can add a wireless remote (which I purchased but not tried) or add a hidden switch under the hood if you like. I could not keep the original Dodge key lock system functioning, but I still kept the key cylinder in the original hole to make the truck look as it came from the factory.

I will like having the ability of being able of opening both doors and the same time with a quick button push. I also have plans to install a hidden override switch incase the wireless remote becomes lost or stolen on a trip or something.

The first photo showes the entire lock system with the soleniod and its attaching wire. I have not drilled the holes in the lever to attach the solenoid to the slide lever.

The second photo showes the lock system in its "locked" position.

The third photo showes the lock system ready for attachment to the door latch in its "locked' position.

The last photo showes the lock system in its "unlocked" position.

Thats how I did it..........

MMcKinney

Caldwell, ID

post-905-13585370907004_thumb.jpg

post-905-13585370907878_thumb.jpg

post-905-13585370908799_thumb.jpg

post-905-13585370909487_thumb.jpg