6th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ......

48Dodger

you should pave the drive for all the guys!

If you (Mark), Merle, Don, Ed, and anyone else makes the trip (east of the rockies) I'll do it. lol :D

48D

I found this on You tube

Hope you guys like it.

Gettin to be an oldie but goodie...lol.

We've had 3 more since then....wow.

48D

If you (Mark), Merle, Don, Ed, and anyone else makes the trip (east of the rockies) I'll do it. lol :D

48D

I was actually looking at flights a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$ yet. It was going to be $550 - $600 for the flight, plus hotel and rental car. I'm still thinking about it though. The drive out isn't in the cards this year, but someday...

Merle

I was actually looking at flights a couple of days ago, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$ yet. It was going to be $550 - $600 for the flight, plus hotel and rental car. I'm still thinking about it though. The drive out isn't in the cards this year, but someday...

Merle

Merle - with your tall gears you should be able to do the drive for less than that, no? Otherwise, have you found any rental agencies that rent out Dodge B-Series trucks?? Maybe Tim can get something set up with the local Enterprise....lol.

I wouldn't call my truck's gearing "tall". The 3.73 gears work well for me, but there are several trucks out there with longer legs than mine. ;)

I know if I were to make the drive out with my truck it would cost me more than that. It would take an estimated $1000 in gas, assuming 15 MPG @ $3.25/gal over the 5000 mile round trip. I'd need to take 2 consecutive weeks of vacation, and the hotel/motel bills, over 10-12 days, would likely add up to another $1000ish. Then you have to eat too. $$$$$$ It would be a fun trip though. Maybe next year... :D

Merle

I wouldn't call my truck's gearing "tall". The 3.73 gears work well for me, but there are several trucks out there with longer legs than mine. ;)

I know if I were to make the drive out with my truck it would cost me more than that. It would take an estimated $1000 in gas, assuming 15 MPG @ $3.25/gal over the 5000 mile round trip. I'd need to take 2 consecutive weeks of vacation, and the hotel/motel bills, over 10-12 days, would likely add up to another $1000ish. Then you have to eat too. $$$$$$ It would be a fun trip though. Maybe next year... :D

Merle

I looked into flights too but can't afford it. Maybe in a few years we can set up a caravan and have some of us go as a group...I plan on swapping in a 3.73 pumpkin after I finish my truck from a car rear end. Its hard to say anything though, I'm supposed to graduate college in a year, so I may not have freedom with vacation time when I get a job...that is IF I can find one soon after graduation!

First time for awards......here are a few ideas......any others? 

best of show
best daily driver
longest distance traveler
longest distance truck
best wood /flat/or utility bed
best truck bumper (front or back)
best L6 engine
best modified engine
best anti-show truck
longest "in the family" truck
best non-mopar
best non-truck
best inprogress

48D

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 1

First time for awards......here are a few ideas......any others? 

best of show

best daily driver

longest distance traveler

longest distance truck

best wood /flat/or utility bed

best truck bumper (front or back)

best L6 engine

best modified engine

best anti-show truck

longest "in the family" truck

best non-mopar

best non-truck

best inprogress

48D

Great!! But i'm an "outsider with 50 ply. 4 dr.,not a truck".!

Doug

Edited by DJ194950

Oooh.....good one Ed.

Last year John-T found a Bigger FH to get to the BBq. He had problems on the way, went back home fixed it, then headed out again and made it (2 hours one way). Gary Martin wasn't so lucky, he had fuel line issues and had to get back home (2 hours one way). Reg had to have his truck towed home the year before after his attempt with the sweptline (3 hours one way). I think we should make an award for the best Hardluck story...lol.

48D

Oooh.....good one Ed.

Last year John-T found a Bigger FH to get to the BBq. He had problems on the way, went back home fixed it, then headed out again and made it (2 hours one way). Gary Martin wasn't so lucky, he had fuel line issues and had to get back home (2 hours one way). Reg had to have his truck towed home the year before after his attempt with the sweptline (3 hours one way). I think we should make an award for the best Hardluck story...lol.

48D

Thats what the POC does at national meets.

• 2 weeks later...

Gettin ready to order up awards and dash plates.....I took in an unwanted refrigerator, runs good!. Putting it in the BBQ area for food etc....thinking of painting it black and throwing some stickers on it. Truck related of course. Taped off the B-1-BQ for a fresh coat of black paint and a new (more colorful) decal. Gonna need some of those pop ups for sure, so please put that on your list of stuff to bring.

Geting cloooser!!!

48D    

• Like 1

Oooh.....good one Ed.

48D

Good thing I broke down before starting over the San Mateo Bridge....no shoulder! It was a sticking valve that time...but on the way back the rod bearings started making noise again, which prompted the second rebuild :-(  This year all is runnning strong and looking forward to the drive again!

• Like 1

Gettin ready to order up awards and dash plates.....I took in an unwanted refrigerator, runs good!. Putting it in the BBQ area for food etc....thinking of painting it black and throwing some stickers on it. Truck related of course. Taped off the B-1-BQ for a fresh coat of black paint and a new (more colorful) decal. Gonna need some of those pop ups for sure, so please put that on your list of stuff to bring.

Geting cloooser!!!

48D    

I am soooooo pumped!!!!  I have my vintage trailer all torn down and doing a rebuild, but she WILL be ready for the beginning of our trip around March 30th. We will take a week to get there and a week to get back.  By the way, Tim, where is a good place to camp near your place?

• Like 1

Bud.....by all means camp at my house.....there is plenty of room and you can have front door access to the "lieux d' aisances". And If you show up a day or two early...."no proplema mi amigos"... :D

This goes for anyone else who wants to join the pre-BBQ party. Exempli gratia: Claude and his son Joe don't have a PH anymore, but they haven't missed a BBQ yet. They show up every year a day early and hang out with my family and help set-up......so please "Dobro pozhalovatʹ v moy dom"!

48D

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 1

Bud.....by all means camp at my house.....there is plenty of room and you can have front door access to the "lieux d' aisances". And If you show up a day or two early...."no proplema mi amigos"... :D

This goes for anyone else who wants to join the pre-BBQ party. Exempli gratia: Claude and his son Joe don't have a PH anymore, but they haven't missed a BBQ yet. They show up every year a day early and hang out with my family and help set-up......so please "Dobro pozhalovatʹ v moy dom"!

48D

very awesome!!!

Trophy update:

To keep cost down and quality of the trophys up.....I wanna make the trophies out of used Pistons.

This is not an original idea....I saw a few car websites that have done this.The pistons will have an engraved gold plate attached to them. I don't want to use L6 218 pistons, because it just doesn't seem right. Correct me if I'm wrong.....I'm looking at around 20 pistons for this event. I'd like to use 318 pistons because of the vast number and commonality of them compared to the L6. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. I will be stopping by a few wrecking yards to see what I can find, as I only have maybe 8 laying around. Of course the most valuable part is the rod, but again, a stock 318 is common.

I'm thinking I'll sand blast them, spot weld the rod and wrist pin, and maybe shoot clearcoat after. Might be that bare is better...don't know yet. If this is the final plan, and you have a few to let go, PM me and I'll pay the postage.

Here is what I think is the final awards list: 

01. Best of show
02. Best daily driver
03. Best wood/ flat/ or utility bed
04. Best truck bumper (front or back)
05. Best non-mopar vehicle
06. Best inprogress

07. Longest distance traveled
08. Longest distance truck
09. Longest "in the family" truck

10. Best L6 engine
11. Best modified engine

12. Youngest truck owner
13. Oldest truck owner
14. The tough trucker award
15. The "Wish You Were Here Award"

Note: This is an award for someone who I feel should be there, but couldn't.

I'll be giving out 6 of these awards so as to include the last 5 events. 

This award gets mailed to the individual.   

48D

Edited by 48dodger

while I think the 218 would be more "appropriate", I'd think it'd be ok to NOT use the hard to find parts!  :)  Sure wish I lived closer!  This sounds so fun!

I have a set of L6 Pistons and pins, used, abused, and no longer good for an engine. Tim, if you're hard up you can have these. I will eventually be getting rid of them. Maybe I'll bring the rods to sell on "truck day".

• 2 weeks later...

Clean-up here at the ranch is in full swing.......

ONLY 7 WEEKS TO GIT YAWR TRUCK DONE!!! Or not......put it on a trailer and show up!

Here's the deal. You see a cool PH, and you can't remember if your inprogress truck has what you just looked at, OR

you wonder if you have some kind of unique swapped in part no one else has. Say you have the attention of someone who has that set up you want and he sees something about your truck that you didn't think about.

BRING WHAT'CA GOT!!! You'll be glad you did. :)

48D   

Edited by 48dodger