6th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ......

48Dodger

Tim, Your posting made me do a search for the race story. Here are a couple links

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/3748-an-observers-report-on-the-big-race/?hl=checkered#entry29717

http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/topic/3817-the-race-preparation-pays/?hl=checkered

Here is the rest of the story. I have been looking to buy a checkered flag for a while and finally had a chance to do so when I went to the Speedway in Manassas, VA. a few weeks ago. I tucked this flag in my suitcase when I flew home. Once home while packing for my Tulsa trip I stuck the flag in the crack of my front seat between the seat and the back of the seat. It still resides there. Once the big race was underway and I was ahead on the freeway I remembered the flag and started probing the crack in the seat to dig out the flag. It took a lot of probing and Bob (who was riding shotgun) finally asked what I was doing. By then I had dug out the end of the flag stick and was trying to pull it out. Problem was it was not an easy removal and it got caught in my pants belt loop as I was trying to retrieve it. Had to shove it back into the seat crack to free it from my belt loop. Once it was free I unraveled it and stuck it out the window while driveing on the freeway with Pete and Joseph directly behind me. I could see both of them grinning in my rearview mirrow. I then pulled the flag back into the car to find that it had partially self destructed while fluttering in the wind of the high speed race. (dam cheap flag). A few moments later I saw the flash of a camera in my rear view mirror as Pete took a picture too late to see the flag. It was fun:D

Let me tell you guys about my 6th annual BBQ experience........as it almost happened.......Friday the 22 of march my wife and I departed on a 6,000 mile roadtrip. We drove out of omaha around midday and stayed overnite in newton ks. Already I had visions of whataburger dancing in my head! We breezed thru OKL and hit DFW, and as it was gettin close to dark thirty we stopped at a hole in the wall ranchstyle hotel in Cameron on 77 south.

Up in the morning, and a coupla breakfast burritos later ....brownsville was in my sight of my mark ones, and believe it or not that was the short leg of the trip!

We stayed 3 days in big B visiting old and new friends....ate at whataburger yippeee! Then at the crack dawn we left for Cali.....more like 900, I can never get that gal of mine a goin'...We took 271 to San Antonio then 10 to fort stockton....even at the state mandated 80 mph that was alot of Texas.

Fort stockton...phoenix...then Quartzite AZ, an even longer day. That night we stayed in a mobile home park that some one designated a motel...everybody gets there own trailer for the night. We left 10 that morning in blythe california and headed north on 95 to needles that was a fun little side trip......stopped and ate in needles and buzzed on home to terra bella, just south of porterville, tulare, visalia area.

So 3 days before the bbq I was already to surprise you guys, Paul Flaming I wanted to meet the most, Fate said it was not so...my sister in law and her 3 sick grand kids infected me with some kinda Cali krap and we were sick for over a week. Couldn't go anywhere much less to the BBQ...so my apologies for not showing and hope to make it someyear...this was physically the closest I have ever gotten to going.

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Like 1

Frank, I will be at the Tulare Farm Equipment Antique Show this Friday and Saturday with my truck. Come by, will look forward to meeting you.

It has been reported that decades ago, some folk drive a long distance to see Yosemite Valley. When they got to the tunnel, they decided their car wouldn't make it out the far end so turned around. There are no tunnels between Terra Bella and the Ag Show.

Frank, I will be at the Tulare Farm Equipment Antique Show this Friday and Saturday with my truck. Come by, will look forward to meeting you.

It has been reported that decades ago, some folk drive a long distance to see Yosemite Valley. When they got to the tunnel, they decided their car wouldn't make it out the far end so turned around. There are no tunnels between Terra Bella and the Ag Show.

Already back in Omaha old chum.........hence the 6000 mile trip. :D

Wow Frank.....what a story! Would have been a nice surprise.

You're always welcome to stop in no matter time of the year.

I'm already working plans for next year.

(There are a few WW2 war planes that are close, gonna see about a flyby...lol)

Hope you are feeling better make the trip again soon. :D

48D

Wow Frank.....what a story! Would have been a nice surprise.

You're always welcome to stop in no matter time of the year.

Hope you are feeling better make the trip again soon. :D

48D

I woulda been there in a flash if I didn't think that virulent crap I caught,   [ tiniustyke schoolyardius influenza]  wouldn't have laid everybody flat on their backs. That is as close to dysentery as I ever want to get.

Edited by Frank Elder

Frank, missed the Omaha part. Lived there in the late 60's - 75. Taught school in Bellevue High. Great people but TERRIBLE climate. It's either windy, humid, cold, raining or on nice days mosquitos! the undeclared state bird.  To bad we missed you. Have rabbit dumplings at the Bohemian Cafe on S. 11th St or a great carp sandwich at Joe Tess'. I think Stellas in Bellevue is history, great hamburger and 18" french fries.

PF

It just occurred to me that you are a Texas fan living in Nebraska!

Edited by pflaming

Just want to give a shout out to some people who really helped with the BBQ.

GTK

Without the forum, the BBQ wouldn't be as big or as awesome. No way. I have always supported the site

and am grateful for Geralds hard work to make it what it is today. It is my favorite website. :)

Looking forward to seeing you at Lucky number Seven, my friend.

BOB KOCH

Made a contribution to the site layout.....well....he paid for the porta potty. A VERY IMPORTANT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT!

lol...thank you Bob.

HP ENGINES

Harry and his son William donated a bunch of pistons for the trophies. After enjoying all the trucks and a few burgers 

he said "I'll get you whatever you need for next year"....very cool.

TED HORNING

Ted's business made a large donation to the BBQ. "I like what you're doing here" 

He has a beautiful 48 Ford truck and is working on a 48 PH so he "fits in" for next year. lol

Ted trailered the inprogress truck to the event to prove it!

ROBERTS MOTORS

Gary was nice enough to send a box of catalogs, free Hats and Shirts to the BBQ.  

To have a vendor tip his hat to a bunch of guys hanging out on old fenders, eating burgers, is cool.

I appreciate the support and the kind gesture!

MEMBERS OF THE FORUM

The helping hand of people who made it to the event, the extra food, the trucks, cars, everything was awesome! In the past I have put

a fair amount of money into the whole deal and wouldn't come close to breaking even. This year was different. I broke even. Wow what a feeling! Everyone knows how hard it is to throw an event like this at thier own house, but really, I'm getting better at it. So in the spirit of "I'm not trying to make money at this"....I'm donating 100 bucks to Merle's charity.   

I love seeing the interests in these trucks grow. I enjoy seeing the forum get bigger and more interesting. And I plan to continue to provide a place where we can "show up and show off" our trucks. Thanks again to everyone for keeping it fun. 

48D  

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 2

48D

Go for the blimp. Several years ago I was working on my engine in my garage when I heard a racket up in the sky. Stepped out and found this doing a fly over in celebration of my engine build. Just another reason I won the big race B)

blimp.jpg

• Haha 1

MEMBERS OF THE FORUM

The helping hand of people who made it to the event, the extra food, the trucks, cars, everything was awesome! In the past I have put

a fair amount of money into the whole deal and wouldn't come close to breaking even. This year was different. I broke even. Wow what a feeling! Everyone knows how hard it is to throw an event like this at thier own house, but really, I'm getting better at it. So in the spirit of "I'm not trying to make money at this"....I'm donating 100 bucks to Merle's charity.   

I love seeing the interests in these trucks grow. I enjoy seeing the forum get bigger and more interesting. And I plan to continue to provide a place where we can "show up and show off" our trucks. Thanks again to everyone for keeping it fun. 

48D  

Tim, this year's BBQ had to have been the greatest gathering of Pilot-House trucks (both numbers and quality of people) maybe ever.  I know every car show I go to always has TONS of Chevy's and Fords, but rarely ever any Dodge's and usually I'm the only Pilot-House.  So what a pleasure it was to see all our wonderful collection of old Dodge trucks together in one place.

Thanks again for hosting and all your hard work, as well as all the others that helped you.

• Like 2

Cameron?  that's just over the hill from my neck of the woods...hope ya stopped by Clem Mikeska's for some righteous bbq  :cool:

JB my man.........we stayed in the hotel right across from Clems....I think the name was The Letterman?? We ate pulled pork sammiches and drank ice cold tea with huge fries and homemade bannana pudding. It was awesome!!!!

• Like 1

For a 2nd outing, we ought to pick a centrally located car show and show up in force.  Some may not want to be that open on these trucks. I will be at Tulare Antique Equip tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what is there.

• 3 weeks later...

There was one young man racing around an oval dirt track . He seemed to have had a lot of practice , goosing it at a certain point on the corners and spinning the tires some . It looked like he was having fun and he had several onlookers . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...