Under The Bed

There was a recent post about the bolts and such for the bed and where everything went. I posted a pic of my bed boards after I took them out. I thought I'd try and get under the bed and take a few shots of what it looks like completed. I know the orientation is a little screwy, but maybe you can make it out. The 1st photo shows the bolts at the edge of the bed, where it goes up against the side. Notice the boards go under the angle strip thats spot-welded to the bed side.

DSCF0004.jpg

This shot also shows one of the crossmembers. The next shot shows the bolts as they go through the boards. On the top side the heads are through the skidstrips.

DSCF0001.jpg

The 3rd shot shows the bed at the rear.

DSCF0005.jpg

Finally, here's a shot looking toward the front of the truck, over the rear axle. Also, through one of the crossmembers.

DSCF0006.jpg

Hope these help. If not, let me know if I can take it from a different angle...

Jiim,

Thanks very much for the photos. You may be one of the few on this forum who have successfully fought your way through this Chinese puzzle. I am just now in the "going together" phase. Crossmemers are painted and the six large holes are drilled in the new wood.

You may be able to answer one or two questions for me that I still have on this issue. Are there any bolts through your wood at either the front bulkhead flange or at the tailgate glange just underneath the board ends? My sheet metal has lots of holes at both of these two locations, but may be the result of shop repairs over the years. All the photos I have seen show bolts through the boards only at the outer angle strips and of course the six frame mount bolts. Should there be any at either end in the wood itself that are not in the bed strips?

Also, how did you weld your angle strips to rhe box sides? Did you mig weld at spots on the top edge, or rosette weld through holes in the angle strips? What worked hest for you?

I notice your boards are black. What have you used for primer? Mar K says POR 15 was the best primer they tested, and that's not even formulated for wood. Go figure . . . . . .

Thaks:)

Your skid strip should have a hole at one end about one inch from the end. At the other end, it should be about 3-4 inches (I haven't measured it...). The bolts and skid strip attach to the end piece at the rear of the bed - the heavy c-channel that attaches to the 'L' shaped pieces that hold the bed ridgid and the sides upright. At the front the boards just rest on the flanged piece. The first row of holes is about 3-4 inches back and go through the first cross member that attaches to the frame. Next comes another row of skid strip bolts and only attached to the boards. The third row of skid strip bolts attaches to the second cross member and attaches to the frame. The third and final cross member goes at the next to last row. The last row attaches through the boards and to the flange under the tail gate.

I think my angle pieces were spot-welded. I didn't do it - my body/paint guy did. He said he duplicated the factory welds... You're right - the only other place the boards bolt directly to the bed are at the sides. Hope this helps.

Oops! I forgot one of your questions. The boards are white oak from Horkey (as are the skid strips and hardware). I applied four coats of Cabots black deck stain, sanded after each coat. after the fourth sanding, I applied three coats of Spar varnish, sanded between coats. The number of coats of both the stain and the varnish was determined by the results. When I got to the fourth and third coats, respectively, I thought it looked pretty good, so I quit.