Rust free 40 plymouth sedan

40plyrod

Your car turned out AMAZING!!! Wana come and do mine next?

After looking at his pics are you sure that you can afford Him?  :confused: , I;m sure I can't!  :D

Looks great!

DJ

LOL.....love the painted white walls.....you just inspired a whole bunch a rat rodders....hope they give you credit! :lol:

48D

Thanks guys. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out so far. The painted whitewalls are just to help me visualize ie; tire size and rim color I don't think the paint would last very long without cracking. I can't take credit for the idea though lots of posts over on the hamb about which type of paint to use etc but like all forums for every one that says it works good and lasted with the paint they used there's another that says it doesn't.  The idea of having cheap whitewalls by painting them or sanding down the sidewalls of a white letter tire is appealing (whitewalls are expensive here around $350 each) but like the coke commercial from a few years back used to say "ain't nothin like the real thing, baby"

Filler between the hood halves above the grill?

Yup. Also known as "opsie" or the part I found in the bead blast cabinet that I meant to clean up and prime so it would be ready to paint last weekend. Wouldn't have been so bad if I had some paint left.  Insert Homer Simpson here...D'OH!

post-2834-0-49405400-1405651235_thumb.jpg

Damn,  hate when that happens! :(

DJ

You lucked out.  Coulda been a part where a paint match was crucial.  Satin black would work well in my opinion.

I thought so too. I may try that first but it's not a big deal to get more paint. I just thought it was funny how many steps in the paint process I had the chance to prime it and how many time I found it after I washed up the spray gun.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Like others on this forum I'm starting to wire the plymouth which means I spent the weekend in the trunk. I installed the power latch solinoid, tail light sockets and license plate light bolts so that know where to run the wires to. The wiring kit I got looks pretty good, the wires look good quality and what each one is for is printed on the wire every 6", but I am a little concerned of the name  :eek:. The license light bolts are led's I think, they didn't come with any instructions I'm assuming the two wires are power and ground and it doesn't matter which is which, anyone have any experience with them?

post-2834-0-52667100-1406520480_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-15556800-1406520493_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-60142400-1406520504_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-69061400-1406520523_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-56594600-1406520557_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-79556300-1406521368_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

One should be labeled taillight or license plate light which is what you want to hook to the license  led bolts.

Did not understand the 3 wire? question as your pic shows six.  The brake output labeled wire might be intended for your 3rd. brake light if ordered with that.

Kind of doubt the the wires have a grounding wire included as most grounds use body the body as grounding source.

The ones labeled as left/right turn signal are the taillight stop light and turn signal bulb- dual filament and the brighter of the two.

Cannot read all the label in the pic, so went as far as I could ascertain.

Get er done!  :D

DJ

One should be labeled taillight or license plate light which is what you want to hook to the license  led bolts.

Did not understand the 3 wire? question as your pic shows six.  The brake output labeled wire might be intended for your 3rd. brake light if ordered with that.

Kind of doubt the the wires have a grounding wire included as most grounds use body the body as grounding source.

The ones labeled as left/right turn signal are the taillight stop light and turn signal bulb- dual filament and the brighter of the two.

Cannot read all the label in the pic, so went as far as I could ascertain.

Get er done!  :D

DJ

oops sorry,forgot to attach pic of the license plate light bolt. It has 2 wires out of it I'm assuming power + ground. Pictures of the wires was just to show labeling.

post-2834-0-78349800-1406553875_thumb.jpg

oops sorry,forgot to attach pic of the license plate light bolt. It has 2 wires out of it I'm assuming power + ground. Pictures of the wires was just to show labeling.

Probably yes, power and ground. I assume it is an LED in there and they are polarity sensitive. Fortunately it should be a either it works or it doesn't type of thing rather than it works or "oops I just let the smoke out" type of thing. It is also possible that they put a little bridge rectifier in there and it can work either way.  Is one wire labeled with a "+" or anything? Have you contacted the vendor about how they should be hooked up?

No "+" on the wires but, on each light one lead is a little longer. If there isn't much of a chance of "letting the smoke out" I'll probably bench test them first and mark them. There hasn't been wiring in my car for a long time but if I remember correctly the wiring to the tail lights, etc..was routed up through the front window post and along the headliner, it doesn't make it very accessible but if it's new wire, shielded nicely and protected from sharp edges is there a reason to not run it there again? Anybody rewired their car put it back there or did you move it?

On my '38 Plymouth, the taillight wires were/are run along the inside of the drivers side frame rail.

• Like 1

Bill, Where did you find the above floor dimmer switch and where did you mount your fuse box?

IMG_1911_zps9f420329.jpg

In retrospect, next time I'd consider mounting the fuse panel in the drivers kick space behind and below the parking brake handle.   Access to this is a pain now that the seat is in place and I am "older".  The wires that you see somewhat obscured in that area, are for an additional power buss and relays for power windows and the starter button circuit.  It all kinda evolved.  I'm not done yet.  Still need parking lights and turn signals. 

The dimmer switch came with the American Autowire kit,.....which I highly endorse.

Edited by mrwrstory