`1949 Dodge B1B truck rearend and upgrade to a V8

Your pendjo

Has anyone replaced the rearend and motor in a 1949 Dodge B1B truck? I would like to keep the frame. The rearend is 4.78. Will a plymouth car fit the truck?

Plymouths are A models so I am not sure. I have all the measurements if someone needs them to compare

The motor would be a V8 and manual transmission. I would like to keep it all looking org.

Has anyone replaced the rearend and motor in a 1949 Dodge B1B truck? I would like to keep the frame. The rearend is 4.78. Will a plymouth car fit the truck?

Plymouths are A models so I am not sure. I have all the measurements if someone needs them to compare

The motor would be a V8 and manual transmission. I would like to keep it all looking org.

Any fool can make a rule. But every fool will follow.

If you're going V8 look for a rear axle out of a late model V8 Jeep or one with a HO 6 cylinder. You can run a V8 in front of a 40s rear end but you might have some durability issues. Car third member will bolt right in to a same era 1/2 ton truck housing if the axle shaft spline counts are the same. Been there, broke that (built 340 in a friend's 49 biz coupe).

If you can find a copy of Tex Smith's "How to Built Hot Rod Trucks", buy it. Walks you through an IFS/V8 all Mopar swap in a Pilot House. Been out of print for awhile, happy hunting. Even the rear axle is a straight swap, think the donor car is a Mirada. And nets you leather bucket seats to boot.

Haven't seen my copy in years, fell apart, put in 3-ring binders a couple moves ago (one cross country).

• 1 month later...