Does 1953 Savoy transmission fit to D24? - YES, it does!!!

Uncle-Pekka
Go to solution Solved by plyroadking,

I received a hint of a '53 Savoy parts car, which may have over drive installed.

What do I have to do to install the overdrive and possibly savoy 3rd member to my D24?
Should I save the complete power train including propeller shaft?

Edited by Uncle-Pekka
  • Like 1

AS a side note..somewhere in this era the rear axle spline count changed..i do not know what and when or the real fifference as II always default to a more modern rear carrier..so there is a chance this hoghead may not be a swap as it is anyway..maybe Young Ed..can chime in on this..I just never commit this to memory because is is irrelevant data for my builds.

Thanks Tim, Ed.

I recall having read here, that '53 rear axle is less in width than D24, thus complete axle does not swap either...

For clarity: My D24 has 4.1:1 rear ratio as it is now.

4.1:1 still does bother me - would prefer 3.73:1 to it.

Edited by Uncle-Pekka
added D24 rear ratio, erased dumb question

The Savoy has the OD, indeed.

Here's a picture:

odimg3583od.jpg

The cylindrical part near brake drum low left - is that the governor?

Where the solenoid should be?

What do I need to take along but the transmission?

- kickdown switch

- relay (on firewall?)

- on/off lever (in dash?)

- anything in/on the distributor?

Get all the bits mentioned. But there is nothing special on the dizzy for the OD.

Great find!:)

Best to ya!

Doug

Try here:

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html

or

http://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?product=elecj&cart_id=3338.10710

(Studebaker but used the same Borg Warner overdrive).

or call George Asche

1693 Fertigs Road

Venus, PA 16364

814-354-2621

Jim Yergin

AS a side note..somewhere in this era the rear axle spline count changed..i do not know what and when or the real fifference as II always default to a more modern rear carrier..so there is a chance this hoghead may not be a swap as it is anyway..maybe Young Ed..can chime in on this..I just never commit this to memory because is is irrelevant data for my builds.

Plymouth rear axle shafts had 10 splines till 1952 then 16 splines from 1953 on.

Bob

It says "R10 G -1" on the cast. Does it make sense to you guys?

I know, that I am asking stupid questions, but that's because I've never seen one of these mounted in a car before...

Tim told to swap the pinion shaft from my existing transmission to the OD...

I suppose he refers to the main shaft (part #43 in below drawing)?

Will the OD unit replace the extension housing (part #46) in standard assy?

d24transm.jpg

Now I also realize why nobody commented to my question on shortening the propeller shaft :o - obviously no need for modification...

To swap the main shaft I suppose I need to take apart the over drive unit and the D24 transmission and assembly them together?

Ok - sorry, Tim -

More dumb questions:

Is the '53 P24 3-speed the very same units as my '48 D24?

Thus apart the mentioned input shaft everything else has same connecting dimensions when I swap the entire unit?

if I were going to cobble together a setup I think I would be looking for a hy-drive three speed and get the fast first and fast second ratios...get the extra revs between shifts....we have had a couple people do these very swaps..D24 and adding a OD to a Hy-drive unit...search of the forum may well get you other info and or these people may chime it...I have never doen the swap and mentioned only what I because of what was posted here in the past..

Blueskys website is a great reference site to look at for these OD trans.

He went through many changes to get a working one for his car!

SEE: 50plymouth.com Look at the transmission section for Great info.:)

Best,

Doug

Blueskies was a lesson in getting one to perform..not the mix and match of components D24 to P23 and up OD's where the fluid drive is not an issue..we have a goodly number of threads on here of OD installs mixing and matching amoung years and applications..

not knocking Blueskies but this is a different horse..

Tim Its the opposite horse. Pete bought an OD out of a dodge and converted it the opposide way to a non fluid drive setup. Pekka there are 2 types of syncros. If you are a lucky man and your original trans and OD trans are matching types you are good to go on swapping inputs. If they don't match you'll need to find one that does. The reg trans and OD are the same length so the driveshaft is good to go. The speedometer cable will be on the opposite side probably and might require a longer one.

By refering him to blueskies site, my idea was only a one place spot idea of the possible fitments/problem areas, rather than hours spent, searching previous posts on search the forum.;)

From my experience and reading the posts here for several years, the Whole R-10 G trans fits without modifications. The only change that i have become aware of is sometimes changing the shift levers.

That only applies if the trans came from a non torque converter type trans setup, where the imput shaft is longer (but can be changed!) per Pete(blueskies).

Doug, Ed, Tim,

Thanks for advice. I will read through Pete the Blueskies' pages.

I found some info on HyDrive at Allpar.com, but it was confusing. I got impression that it will be the most troublesome unit to merge to older (or newer) models of them all...(?) Are there any other advantanges but faster second gear? All I look for is fast top gear for smoother hi-speed cruising on hiway. Slow acceleration will be no issue for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Up-date:

I bought this tranny. Seems to be mechanically OK condition. Have only cleaned it externally by now.

I would rather not take it apart completely. How to check synchro rings without pulling OD housing from 3-speed housing?

img3603wb.jpg

20120831221249.jpg

img3598a.jpg

img3602h.jpg