things i find in the woods....

wallytoo

while gathering field data for perambulating the boundaries of the town i live in and a neighboring town, i came across what i believe is a '47 dodge deluxe 4 door, well off of the road, and disintegrating with the years. the car has probably been there for at least 30 years, since it was at least that long since the road was maintained in a condition that would allow the car to get to it's resting place.

the engine was still in it, but the radiator was gone. most of the gauges were still there, too, along with the radio, and dash knobs. chrome windshield divider, too. interior door hardware mostly there. the car had only been shot a few dozen times. next time i'm up there, i'll get some pics.

oh, and the wiper switch still turns, even though the dash is exposed to the elements (windshield long gone).

wally

While walking my dog around the lake I found an old car frame from the late 30's I'm guessing. TVA flooded the area in '42 I think, it had been there since I'm sure. It's kinda wierd in that area, your walking back through the woods all of the sudden you step out on a section of paved road that hasn't seen a car on it since '42. The thing that makes me mad is, it's still in great shape. The ones I have to drive on are all to pieces.

• 2 months later...

finished the perambulation yesterday (painted the dates on the monuments), and took some pics of the abandoned dodge. so, three pics of the car, one of the monuments, and one of the transportation/road to get me to the remote site.

post-1455-13585371372127_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371373267_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371374187_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371375904_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371376918_thumb.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

Cool pics. You could strip the "Dodge" plate off the front and salvage that tail light lens, looks like that's about it. I like the 5th pic, nice to see a CJ-7 in it's natural environment! Brings back some good memories.

Cool pics. You could strip the "Dodge" plate off the front and salvage that tail light lens, looks like that's about it. I like the 5th pic, nice to see a CJ-7 in it's natural environment! Brings back some good memories.

i checked that tail lens out; nice intact glass.

and, the jeep is a cj5, not a 7. :D

Interesting photos and great narrative.

I will admit that I was surprised about the photo from the driver seat of you vehicle... To me perambulating means walking. Apparently I'm not alone on that: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perambulate

i did walk the line, the jeep was used to get to the start point. no reason to walk in 3 miles to the town line when i could drive to within 200 feet of the corner. thus, the comment about "the transportation to get me to the remote site". :rolleyes:

a pic of the gauges - they sure look like they could still work - and the sad flathead

post-1455-13585371393452_thumb.jpg

post-1455-13585371394055_thumb.jpg

Edited by wallytoo

i've had the cj since 1994. more or less rebuilt it, although the engine internals haven't been touched by me, and i've put nearly 100K miles on it (it has 140K). the fiberglas body has held up very well to a lot of off-road abuse, and it is over 20 years old, too.

i've had the cj since 1994. more or less rebuilt it, although the engine internals haven't been touched by me, and i've put nearly 100K miles on it (it has 140K). the fiberglas body has held up very well to a lot of off-road abuse, and it is over 20 years old, too.

What year is yours? What motor/trans? My cj5 is a 79 the cj8 is an 81. The 5 I bought off of my neighbor, he was going to crush it because the frame was rusted and broken. It's pretty much been a daily driver for going on 2years. He shakes his head when he sees me drive by. Lol I made the rear frame section myself. I've done alot of patching on the body. Really, it's a piece of junk but hey it's alot of fun. It's got the 304/4 speed and gets 14mpg, not bad for an old 4x4. Guess I'm getting a bit O/T but I do love old Jeeps.

it's o/t, but it's my o/t. :D

'75, 258 w/weber k551-14 2bbl, changed to an np435 4-speed, lock-right in 44 rear, converted to hei ignition, oba, 34x10.5 swamper ltb, original frame, grille, hood. has a later windshield (wiper motor inside). was my dd back in the mid-90s, now it's a toy and occasional work vehicle, although i still put close to 2700 miles on it this year.

it's o/t, but it's my o/t. :D

'75, 258 w/weber k551-14 2bbl, changed to an np435 4-speed, lock-right in 44 rear, converted to hei ignition, oba, 34x10.5 swamper ltb, original frame, grille, hood. has a later windshield (wiper motor inside). was my dd back in the mid-90s, now it's a toy and occasional work vehicle, although i still put close to 2700 miles on it this year.

I want to do a d44 swap on mine and add a locker. I've still got the weak amc 20 rear. I can't understand why they stopped putting the d44 in 'em then out of the blue went back for one year (86). I've looked at fiberglass tubs, it'd be just too big an investment for this particular Jeep. It's hard not to drive 'em, they're addictive. I've got a hardtop and a bikini top. Hard top goes on in oct and stays till april the rest of the time I run the bikini top rain or shine.:)