Electric Windshield Wiper Questions

Guest philedmonds

Guest philedmonds

My '49 B1FA has electric windshield wipers and of course they don't work. I pulled the unit and ordered a NOS one. The parts book gave the part number and based on a "note", I thought I had ordered the correct one. When it arrived I found it was a different unit from the one I am trying to replace. The one I have has a shaft coming out of the head of the motor that goes into a gear box to turn the two wiper arms. The one I got has a shaft coming out of the head and the other other end of the motor and each has a gear and an attachment for the the arms! I don't see any way the one I got will work. Can anyone shed any light on this issue? And does anyone have a good source for rebuilding the original 6-volt electric motor? That may be my best bet. thanks.