Making vacuum wipers better

So after being caught in my first rainstorm a few weeks back on the highway and realizing how bad these wipers can be I've tried installing a vacuum canister from a later 80's vehicle and that went ok but still not good.

So after discussing with my old shop boss he figures that the canister isn't enough because without a check valve the engine can pull back and drain the canister, so tonight I made up a check valve using a valve from a brake booster and some copper fittings and different size hose I have created a valve the goes to a T fitting that feeds a canister and the wipers.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried something like this or has other ideas for improving what's there.

The plan is in a few years when I rip the interior out again to put an electric model in but till then I'd like to be able to see

In the rain.

Thanks guys!

You are on the right track. Vacuum wipers work well if the motor is not worn out and everything. But fade out on hills. Your vacuum reservoir will help prevent this.

Another thing they used to do, is install an auxiliary vacuum pump. Expensive cars had a fuel pump with a second pump on top for vacuum. You ran the hose from the wipers to the pump, then from the pump to the intake. The pump only ran when the vacuum dropped off. You used to be able to buy the pump from any parts store, they cost about $50 more than a stocker.

...so tonight I made up a check valve using a valve from a brake booster and some copper fittings and different size hose I have created a valve the goes to a T fitting that feeds a canister and the wipers....

My "local better auto supply" stocks vacuum check valves. Apparently they were used on some GM applications for interior climate control vacuum systems.

I did a search for 6 volt vacuum pumps but only found 12 volt ones. They are common on diesel trucks and cars. One of them would be a good addition to a vacuum wiper car. Some are powerful enough to work your power brake booster!

Prices from $40 to $275

Further searching found Gast vacuum pumps which are available in 6 volt.

http://www.gastmfg.com/product_list.aspx?ProductFamilyID=7&ProductTypeID=28

It occurred to me that it might be possible to convert the stock fuel pump to a vacuum pump and add an electric fuel pump.

Edited by Rusty O'Toole

It occurred to me that it might be possible to convert the stock fuel pump to a vacuum pump and add an electric fuel pump.

It might also be possible to get a fuel pump for a '50s or so Mopar application that has the vacuum pump on top and just bolt it on. Take a little research to figure out the fuel pump number. Might not exist but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one.

So after being caught in my first rainstorm a few weeks back on the highway and realizing how bad these wipers can be I've tried installing a vacuum canister from a later 80's vehicle and that went ok but still not good.

So after discussing with my old shop boss he figures that the canister isn't enough because without a check valve the engine can pull back and drain the canister, so tonight I made up a check valve using a valve from a brake booster and some copper fittings and different size hose I have created a valve the goes to a T fitting that feeds a canister and the wipers.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried something like this or has other ideas for improving what's there.

The plan is in a few years when I rip the interior out again to put an electric model in but till then I'd like to be able to see

In the rain.

Thanks guys!

What Rain, it is so dry and dusty here in the South Interlake, glad you Guys in the west side got some rain.

Hey how about posting some pics, when you can, very interesting idea, like to see your approach.......thanx Fred

A google search with chrysler dual action fuel pump will show you some ideas.

Vintage Auto Parts came up with several models of dual action pumps based on years, car or truck. Most used the same model, $140 + $40 core charge.

Rebuilt- the only way to purchase. I've bought several OLD rebuilts on ebay, the best worked about 30 minutes before the fuel diaphram gave out.

On my 50 4dr. ply. car, i just stole the electric (new) set up from my stalled wagon. (didn't have the money to buy a rebuild kit for one of my dual action fuel pumps (about $60 plus shipping).

I have used them before with great luck. They do NOT suppliment motor vacuum. They replace it. Fast wiper action even at idle. Will NOT make a tired or plugged up vac. wiper motor work like new however. Have seen several posts on the car side about how to get a lubricant sucked up into the vac. wiper motor to clean and lube and help action. Suggest search - wiper motor oiling or lubing.

Hope that helps some,

Doug