FEF caboose project

went and picked this up tonight for $50 off craigslist. Hat tip to townwagon for finding it. Tires were REALLY checked, had to use fix-a-flat on one tire. 160 miles round trip, 75 MPH on the way up and 50-55mph on the way home. Stopped at YoungEd's to get my front sump oil pan.

Plan is to fix it up after FEF is done and have a tow trailer for stuff I don't want in FEF's bed. Trailer runs very true and hardley noticed it there except for the constant watch on the tires. Axel is the front axel mounted on the front springs stuck on a homemade frame. Tie rod welded to the frame.

If it drives me nutty, I'll have some bed sides for someone that are in pretty good shape overall.

2012-07-19202601.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark and I were discussing that. Is there a real deal as in a factory side mount spare? Other than risking a flat or a ticket for bad lights he can't lose and I'm pretty sure he avoided both of those things. Bed even has factory tail light mounts with modern lights added on.

Mark and I were discussing that. Is there a real deal as in a factory side mount spare?

I think so, Reg might know, or if someone has an accessory catalog we might find out.

Not liking the hopper, (but it is the nicest one I've ever seen). Now all that's needed is a quick trip to Ohio another $300 and there you go!

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/3130308558.html

2012-07-20_0441.png

Hank :)

Edited by HanksB3B

I think so, Reg might know, or if someone has an accessory catalog we might find out.

Not liking the hopper, (but it is the nicest one I've ever seen). Now all that's needed is a quick trip to Ohio another $300 and there you go!

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/3130308558.html

2012-07-20_0441.png

Hank :)

Hey, thats my tailgate your looking at! My good friend lives in cincinnati and he picked up for me yesterday. He is coming my way this afternoon with it, so you're looking at a future peice of my truck! From what I understand, the guy's father in-law bought the truck new but took the tailgate off and has stored it ever since. He thinks it came off a 1950. All I know is that I am VERY lucky to have got it!

Edited by 52b3b218

I'd really like to see some pics of the frame/axle, that's what I'm going to do with the bed off my 51 parts truck & the trucks frame is in good shape so I am going to build a frame for the bed on a front axle from a 69 Dodge truck.

I'll try anf get some pics up later today

Hey, thats my tailgate your looking at! My good friend lives in cincinnati and he picked up for me yesterday. He is coming my way this afternoon with it, so you're looking at a future peice of my truck! From what I understand, the guy's father in-law bought the truck new but took the tailgate off and has stored it ever since. He thinks it came off a 1950. All I know is that I am VERY lucky to have got it!

YOU LUCKY DOG! SCORE OF THE CENTURY!

Since there has been some question from time to time about just how the letters are supposed to be painted, this tailgate can be considered NOS or in the bicycle world "take-off" meaning the person removed the component before even riding the bike. This is like finding a tailgate in King Tut's tomb.

Hank :D

P.S. gg, If the stamped metal script (why do they call it that?) hasn't been compromized I see no rerason why your Trailergate can't be made to look just as good.

Edited by HanksB3B

lol...what a cool way to "tie up" the tie-rod. never seen that. I have a few font axles I have set aside for a future trailers in need, but have always made the tie rods available to sell. I think i would weld more than the one picece or maybe a trapezoid....in any event...kinda cool.

Here's a picture of Christine, who flew from Germany to California to part hunt for her B1B, holding my best tie rod for sale.:D

48D

post-580-1358536985484_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger

Wait a minute.....didnt Mark put the first grain-door tailgate on the wall? Maybe it needs to come down and "dress up" the new ride.....:Dlol

48D

• 3 months later...

If you were closer I'd trade you tail gates. I like that 'grain' door. I think that is a mid west 'add on'. The grain elevators had lifts in them. You put the front wheels of the grain wagon, later trucks on the cradle and they lifted the front to empty the box/bed. The small gate was used to start unloading then when the box was about empty, the full tail gate was lowered. Nice find. Put a small champer on it and your set to go.

Mark do you want a bed front that might give up a good top roll? I have 2 39-47 ones with the bottoms gone but the top rolls are pretty straight and solid. Let me know quick before I scrap them.

If you were closer I'd trade you tail gates. I like that 'grain' door. I think that is a mid west 'add on'. The grain elevators had lifts in them. You put the front wheels of the grain wagon, later trucks on the cradle and they lifted the front to empty the box/bed. The small gate was used to start unloading then when the box was about empty, the full tail gate was lowered. Nice find. Put a small champer on it and your set to go.

this tailgate is pretty roached....bottom tube pretty rotted out, but if you wanna make a trade still, maybe we could work something out?

After looking at your 1st photo, I was going to say it's a good time to start the rough work on those fenders while they're still attached to the sides and you don't have to chase them around. Too late!

I think my dad's old Dodge teardrop fendered trailer is still on the farm in WV at his brother farm...it was left there about 1965...I remember seeing it years ago sitting on the point overlooking the valley..I think I have the tail light and stand still upstairs here at the house..