Comments for the "Links to Building Threads"

In an attempt to keep the Building Thread "clean"... I thought I start this thread until its no longer needed. I appreciate Don C's comments and want to "move" it here and leave him the spot for his brake build, T-5, and whatever else he wants. I think 49dodge1ton has the concept down perfect and is a good example of how I saw this working. Any other ideas are definately welcome.

48D

Don's comment

"So many folks do a build-project-modification-work on a new vehicle-etc, and soon start a new thread for every nut they tighten. This makes it very difficult to follow progress. All build-project-modification-etc. threads should contain a starting point and closure once , and when, the job is completed. Bill Story (for one) is a master of this idea as his long thread tells the whole story. If someone does not want to read the whole story but only the last posting then they can point there mouse on this icon and go directly to the last posting.

Also as this thread is "links" only no pictures should be allowed. This possible rule has already been violated and hopefully GTK will find a way to get around this. (those pictures have since been removed)

Also the link discription should be very specific to the work so someone doing the same job can research what others have done.

No for sale stuff, off topic stuff, I dont like this vendor stuff, etc. should be allowed.

This should be only a reference starting point for anyone looking to see what others have done.

Once again, GREAT IDEA!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was a private message to me, but I thought it was well written.

48D

"Pics are removed, I think I get it now that pics are in threads and not needed on a links page...I tried to do a list with bullets, but it doesn't seem to work well with hyper links; I'll mess with it a little to see if I can iron that out. Since I've been keeping my info contained to my build threads, I figgered I'd point to the post in the thread as a link...anyhow, this build thread idea is a good one! One of my gripes is that folks start new threads on builds they are working on, for every little sub-system on one vehicle; some have even asked a question in a thread, and since it didn't get answered within 4 hours, they start another thread asking the same question. That ain't good data management, but I'm not the message board police so I just try to 'post by example' "

Ok.... Budstruck, Jim shepard, Dan Badd, Merle Coggins, Hank B3B, and others......post your best build thread links.....you guys have great ones, lets bring them closer to the surface for everyone to see. :D

48D

• 6 years later...

I've seen a few members do this recently, and I recall seeing this on the HAMB back before it got overrun by crazy ppl:  putting "Build Thread" in the title of their build thread.  Since a sticky on the Links to Building Threads would require constant moderation of the thread itself, members can put "Build Thread" in the title of the thread that their major work is being shown...that phrase can be used in the search engine to produce a directory of sorts that does not require moderator oversight.

I have edited my build threads to show this info in the titles to get the ball rolling...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes.....hover over the title.....LEFT click and hold.....it will change to the edit mode.

Change it, edit it, hit enter.....and your bob's uncle.

48D

I thought bob was MY uncle? If you’re Bob’s uncle you must be ooold! 

I guess I lucked out with my build thread title. I post progress and problem solving there and sometimes get helpful nudges. Whenever I really need help or think a topic is for the greater good to explore (so it’s searchable later too) I start a thread just on that like I did for my heater. Hopefully I don’t clutter the place up too bad! Thanks again for having me fellas

• 3 years later...
On 7/15/2012 at 11:21 PM, 48Dodger said:

So many folks do a build-project-modification-work on a new vehicle-etc, and soon start a new thread for every nut they tighten. This makes it very difficult to follow progress. All build-project-modification-etc. threads should contain a starting point and closure once , and when, the job is completed.

Good point, thanks 48!

Other thing is start a blog on the site. Yes it cost $11.95 a year but you get a whole bunch of extra benefits including additional storage space. Read about them here. 

The subscription fee helps keep the site going and you can even publish it at other automotive blog sites if you want.  A good example is the AOK blog.