New Guy and New Truck For Me!!!

Hello to everybody! I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello to all. My name is Scott and I am very excited to have what I was told to be a 52, going to have to run the vin to find out I guess. I was told that it had a wrecker on it at one time and its a 1 ton dually. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do with her. I know its not a purest thing but I'm thinking of doing all the body work, putting a nice paint job of Satin Black, dropping the truck and putting wide white walls on her. Would like to run the stock motor if I can bring her back to life but not sure if I can change out the rear end gearing to make it better as a cruiser. May have to put a new rear end under it. I haven't researched that far yet. I would like to thank all of you for posting your information and helpful tips along with pics to help other people out like me. Have a great night as I'm going to be dreaming about my new old ride!!!! LOL

Scott

2012-07-14_14-42-28_663.jpg

2012-07-14_14-41-23_456.jpg

2012-07-14_14-41-38_487.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Scott. Looks like a fairly solid looking truck that you have there. You have certainly come to the right place to find all the information you could ever need to know about your new project. Be sure to update your user information with your location as that might make it easier for fellas over there to assist you parts or project wise. Frequent use of the 'search' function will aid you greatly along the way, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Desotodav

Hi Scott. I think your old beater would look great retroed back to the wrecker it may once have been. Make it the way you want. Purists and non -conformists are both welcome here. I've got maybe 2 crossmembers left on mine that haven't been modified. Everything else has been.

Alternative gearing for a 1ton rear is difficult to impossible as well as alternate wheels as a stroll through the posts on 1 ton rears will indicate. Pictures of what you're doing is always welcome so keep us up to date.

Not sure if motor turns over, I will be pulling it out this weekend hopefully. He said the motor turned over 8 years ago when put in its current spot. I only paid 200.00 and a 50.00 delivery fee for it so I think I didn't do half bad....

Scott

nice truck! Welcome! I have a 1 ton 3.7 rear diff and from what I could find, pretty much a full rear end swap is about all you can do.

This is interesting because the dash is definetly 48-50 but the rest of the cab looks to be 51-53. Look at the door handles/window cranks and placement of wiper arms. The door handles and window cranks could be swapped out but the wiper arms aren't in the right location for a 48-50 cab.:confused:

Edited by Jim Shepard

This is what the 51-53 dashes look like.

I'm thinking the cab was swapped out....kept the doors.....kept the front clip (dog-house).

48D

post-580-13585369787086_thumb.jpg

post-580-13585369787558_thumb.jpg

post-580-1358536978778_thumb.jpg

This is interesting because the dash is diffently 48-50 but the rest of the cab looks to be 51-53. Look at the door handles/window cranks and placement of wiper arms. The door handles and window cranks could be swapped out but the wiper arms aren't in the right location for a 48-50 cab.:confused:

You're right Jim. Wipers are in the '51-'53 location. Just a dash change? :confused:

You're right Jim. Wipers are in the '51-'53 location. Just a dash change? :confused:

It'd be easier to change the wiper location. The only way the dash is coming out is cutting and welding another back in. There's enough crud under the drivers side wiper arm to make me think it's been moved and it appears the cab may have been red at one time..

Had to go check my never been removed 49 doors... look just like those. Right down to handle placement.

If it was sold as a chassis cab it would have been titled as a whatever year the completed vehicle left that facility. I have a 1972 titled D700 based motorhome with a 413, cable shift 727 (went away in 1968), 61-71 gauges, 68 style white steering wheel...

Odds are it's a late 1949 cab with a later front clip swapped on. And the wipers swapped for the better later ones.

It's a Dodge. 'nuff said.

Well I ran back over the the house were my trucks sits until this weekend. And took some pictures for you guys..You were right on the windshield wipers I even punched one of the patches out so you could see. LOL You guys are good!!!! Model Number shows B1D126

Can see the original hole

2012-07-16_19-59-13_456.jpg

Hole punched out

2012-07-16_20-14-13_122.jpg

2012-07-16_19-59-25_85.jpg

Holy crazy springs!!!!!!!! Bet it has a good ride....LOL

2012-07-16_20-24-50_384.jpg

Edited by X53Gunner

The cab and dash look to be 1948-50. The nose and doors look to be 1952 because of the stamped steel grille medallion. Wipers were converted to later electric most likely?

Bob

This thread definately shows the difference between:

"Tellin' us what you got" vs. "Showin' us what you got"

48D:D

wiper motor linkages and pivot locations are different on 48-50 and 51-53 models; I tried to make a '52 electric motor work in my '49 by making some new linkages, but I don't have the right tools to get the bushings right, so the wipers slop purt'near off the windshield. This truck shows the different locations on the cab for the wiper arm pivots...it also shows a car engine that has a rear sump, dipstick in the block, and throttle linkage parts mounted on the head...

Hey Guys, I got a question for yall I have a 48 cab with the vac. wipers how good are they? Will it be worth my time to use the newer electric ones, I have the newer electic wipers for a 53 truck and the arms.