OT Kinda, bored at work and made a part out of carbon graphite.

I could, that way I can get the mounting brackets out. that would be the easy way to do it. The good thing about the graphite I use is the resin will fill any voids, plus I can do some basic body work to get them straight if need be.

PM me your mailing address and I'll get them to ya as soon as I can. :D

what I would have to do is like what I did with the windshield post, make the mounting brackets and bond them to the inside of the bars. but here is a question, does anybody know how the Stainless will hold up to 350 degrees for 6 hours?

stainless should hold up just fine, WAY below temps that will do changes to the metalurgy of SS.

Edited by ggdad1951

Since you opened the door........how about running boards......trucks or cars? Just a thought. By the way, very nice work.

thanks, I had thought about running boards, but they are too big of a part to sneak into the plant without being questioned as to what I am doing.

ah..."government work"! :D

thanks, I had thought about running boards, but they are too big of a part to sneak into the plant without being questioned as to what I am doing.

Just out of curiosity, what would be a ballpark figure for a pair of CF running boards? I know you don't manufacture/sell these, but since you're in the industry, you might have an idea. Thanks

It all depends on the man hours used to make the part, and the material. We use a prepreg graphite that comes in 45LB rolls, at just over $1,000 a roll. There is the wet lay up that uses a dry carbon just like fiberglass where you mix the resin yourself that is cheaper and the quality shows. All of the parts I make are made using scraps left over after cutting. So a ball park figure if I would have to guess would be $350-$400 a set for running boards. I do it as a hobby with the little parts because it keeps me awake at work (staring at a computer screen all night gets pretty boring)

It all depends on the man hours used to make the part, and the material. We use a prepreg graphite that comes in 45LB rolls, at just over $1,000 a roll. There is the wet lay up that uses a dry carbon just like fiberglass where you mix the resin yourself that is cheaper and the quality shows. All of the parts I make are made using scraps left over after cutting. So a ball park figure if I would have to guess would be $350-$400 a set for running boards. I do it as a hobby with the little parts because it keeps me awake at work (staring at a computer screen all night gets pretty boring)

That's not bad, considering metal repops are about twice that.

• 3 weeks later...

Round 2 of goofing off here at work (nothing better to do anyway) So I decide to pull of mold off of my door access panels.

DSCN0220.jpg

I Am already calling this one a reject because I had to butt-splice the graphite together. I will cure this one tomorrow on my shift, I still need to put more graphite on it.

DSCN0221.jpg

how about the insdie windshield division bar for rear view mirrors? Or did I mention that already? I'd take one of those in a HEARTBEAT!

still working on that one, it is being a pain. I think mine was drilled out for the mirror.

if it doens't have the "flat" then it is a drill job

how about the insdie windshield division bar for rear view mirrors? Or did I mention that already? I'd take one of those in a HEARTBEAT!

What happened to the one I gave you??

ok, they call it a prototype for a reason right?? Here is the finished one, I need to make some adjustments to the tooling. As pictured this can be cleared over for that nice shiny gloss look, or primed and painted.

DSCN0223.jpg

I still need to clean the edges up and drill out the mounting holes. This was made by butt-splicing pieces together, I am having one of the engineers here make me some ply cut files so I can use single sheets.

Edited by Don Boger