front air ride using original front suspicion

jeff the jerk

hey just seeing if anyone has put air bags in the factory spring pockets and what was the outcome

i am looking at doing this on my 41 so i can drop it on the ground the rear is easy but the front looks a bit tricky i don't want to stub the frame as we all know the factory ifs with a shock relocate is awesome

cheers Jeff

Edited by jeff the jerk

I must ask is this something done to collect trophies? It does not apperar to be done for dependability nor functionallity. I do not understand? Why would anyone want to add air bag suspension in order to collapse the air bags and drag the frame on the ground? I would not think that improves ride comfort nor dependability? I do not understand? Are collecting trophies more important than ride comfort and dependability? I do not understand? Someone please splain this????

I must ask is this something done to collect trophies? It does not apperar to be done for dependability nor functionallity. I do not understand? Why would anyone want to add air bag suspension in order to collapse the air bags and drag the frame on the ground? I would not think that improves ride comfort nor dependability? I do not understand? Are collecting trophies more important than ride comfort and dependability? I do not understand? Someone please splain this????

Don this has nothing to do with trophies. it has to do with a good ride you cant get a smoother ride then air. also i like the look of a car, truck or what ever you have lowered to lay on the frame when parked its about hot rodding and their are no rules when it comes to that. when the car is done i want to enjoy it driving and not sitting around at a car show

Don this has nothing to do with trophies. it has to do with a good ride you cant get a smoother ride then air. also i like the look of a car, truck or what ever you have lowered to lay on the frame when parked its about hot rodding and their are no rules when it comes to that. when the car is done i want to enjoy it driving and not sitting around at a car show

Thanks for the reply. Correct there are no hot rodding rules. But interpation may differ. To each his own applies. To me, hot rodding means making a car go fast with modifications. Sitting squated on the ground at a car show is not hot rodding in my mind. But as I said, to each his own. Thanks for your reply.

• 2 months later...

When I brought my totally original survivor 1948 dodge d24 by a buddy's shop( who does airbag trucks) he said it needs to lay on the ground. I told him I have had the car for a week now and driven it 5 days straight. It runs good rides good too, why would I put stuff on it that will have me in the shop everyother week fixing something? Just seems most of the time I see the air ride cars and trucks needing something done or fixed everyother week or so. Not to mention going through tires every 6 months. They do look cool if on the right car, just seems messing with the suspension geometry causes a lot more problems down the road. Like you said each there own.

Oh and I bought a victory bike and look way cooler then those H.D riders. :cool: lol

I have always been told by my pretty wife that that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. And I do agree with Don about bagging.

The problem I have with any type air-ride is ......what happens if you get a leak out on the road? I was at a big car show in Macungie,Pa and there was a guy with a chopped Merc with airbags. His battery went dead and the car was sitting on the ground already. A rollback came and could not get under the front of the car to hook it up. They finally did get it hooked but they scraped the crap out of the whole frame as they drug it up the roolback.

Bags do have there place but only for groceries.(just my opinion)

lowering a car has always came at a price not only in dollars to modify but in sacrafice to confort and ride in attaning that certain look....the guys who see the need to lower are of the same mind set as those that say it should stay stock..it is what they like....I just like to tell each about problems and or ride quality they are likely to experience..

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 10/10/2012 at 5:54 AM, chopt50wgn said:

I have always been told by my pretty wife that that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. And I do agree with Don about bagging.

The problem I have with any type air-ride is ......what happens if you get a leak out on the road? I was at a big car show in Macungie,Pa and there was a guy with a chopped Merc with airbags. His battery went dead and the car was sitting on the ground already. A rollback came and could not get under the front of the car to hook it up. They finally did get it hooked but they scraped the crap out of the whole frame as they drug it up the roolback.

Bags do have there place but only for groceries.(just my opinion)

They couldn't jump it? Or borrow a battery to air it up??