I gotta drop the PowerFlite :(

54Illinois

This thing leaks like a dam made of swiss cheese. It only leaks when the car runs, and its all coming from the bell housing/converter area. After doing some post searching and reading, it looks like I can raise the car, and pull the tranny from the converter via four bolts.

I figured using a big floor jack with a small sheet of plywood for support for the engine.

My big concern is disconnecting cables and the emergency brake.

I would think this would be similar to other transmissions?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I received an "external seal" kit from Northwest Transmissions Parts. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=northwest%20transmissions&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nwtparts.com%2F&ei=rs8CUJaSAsLWqgG4veiwDA&usg=AFQjCNFnFpj56PZWSj26HDcDKMpKbQJoGg&cad=rja.

Here is my question...I am going to pull the tranny from the torque converter and bell housing. The torque converter is bolted to the crankshaft. The only thing holding up the converter will be the crankshaft. Is a torque converter heavy enough to warp the rear of the crankshaft while the rest of the transmission is out?

Oy, I'm glad its you and not me. At any rate, don't worry about bending the crank. Do you have any kind of shop manual or Motor's manual to look at? I think I may have one if you need me to read something for you. I'll check tomorrow.

I will take pics. I have a spare trans that came with the motor (motor now in car running) I thought about replacing the seals on that one, then swapping them out. I see no reason it would not work...the motor works great.

I have the Plymouth PowerFlite manual, Motors as well...Appreciate the offer!

• 3 years later...

Drain the torque converter (7/16" Hex Plugs)  and also the transmission pan by removing the fill tube before you start..or you will have a bloody red mess.

The Torque converter stays inside the bell housing bolted to the crank.

There is a cover behind the E-brake drum remove it to be able to unhook the E-brake cable ball and cable housing from the trans.

Remove other items shift linkage ect.

Four 5/8" bolts fasten the trans to the aluminum bell housing... use a proper jack to carefully slide it back and out.

Use a high quality absolutely correct exact replacemnt RED RUBBER front seal.   You're job to find that!

Cheap Chinese replacement seals will leak after a short time they do not fit the TQ as tight as the original  MoPar seal.

Be careful to properly line up the oil pump front drive sleeve shown in pitures. Make sure it is pushed back into the trans all the way by hand other wise the trans will not go into the bell housing the last 1/4".

Trans needs to be carefully and gently installed into the bell housing and will push in all the way flush. Do not use bolts to pull it in the last 1/4"!!

Pics of a parts car PowerFlite Trans....

Bob

post-302-0-22282200-1443549904_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-39519500-1443549916_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-20090700-1443549932_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-28054600-1443549945_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-10979800-1443549959_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-49409500-1443567882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2