wide tires on 51 plymouth

scottyv47

speaking of rare items, i'm looking for a floor shifter for my 51, and i here there hard to come by, my car is a 3 on the tree not a fluid drive, i read a very confusing post on here from around 2008 talking about the mystery shifter but no one was clear weather it was for a fluid drive or 3 speed, and someone said all late 40's early 50's were fluid drives, mine is definitely a 3 on the tree not a fluid drive any idea's on a floor shift

The Fluid Drive is completely separate from the transmission. The Fluid Coupling replaces the Flywheel on Fluid Drive cars. Behind the Fluid Coupling could be a hydraulically shifted "semi-automatic" transmission OR a regular 3 on the tree, depending upon model. If you can let out the clutch without the car stalling, you likely have a Fluid Drive.

my car is a 51, its a 3 speed manual, they didn't even put the fluid drive, or hydrive as its realy called into plymouths until late 52 early 53, chrysler dodge and desoto had them earlier, but not the bottom of the barrel plymouth, which can be verified on any early mopar site

Hy-drive is not fluid drive..some consider it as such..driving is similar.. but it is an actual torque converter that multiplies the torque of the engine 2.6 times...also the Hy-drive had better ratio transmission gearing 1st and 2nd and better rear end gearing to fully take advantage of the torque convertor..

• 1 month later...

On my Wayfarer, P225-75R-15 on early 80's squad car rims required just a bit of fender lip roll up to work fine on the rear. The fronts are P225-70R-15 on American Racing chrome reverse smoothies with the chrome peeling off hence the Mercury hubcaps! :o

and BTW....yes I know my Bondo is showing....

post-2545-13585370216483_thumb.jpg

Edited by WatchingWolf

On my Wayfarer, P225-75R-15 on early 80's squad car rims required just a bit of fender lip roll up to work fine on the rear. The fronts are P225-70R-15 on American Racing chrome reverse smoothies with the chrome peeling off hence the Mercury hubcaps! :o

and BTW....yes I know my Bondo is showing....

i know this is a terrable picture, but this is a 225/60/15 goodyear eagle st on stock 96 dodge caravan rim and theres at least 3 or more inches of clearance on each side, and could easily clear a 235 or 245 with no rubbing issues, i wish i had a better pic, but those are my painting tires, and i have the www's back on it now

post-3436-13585370216939_thumb.jpg

Ok. Anyone got pics of their tire/rim combo on their plymouth???? Im looking to stuff a fatter tire, without mods. Reading is cool. However, i would like to see pics too!!!

i've also had my 235/60/15's on it from my daily driver 1994 caravan and had plenty of clearance with those too, sorry no pics

That does not look like the rims in these current pictures.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3199443785.html

like i told tim in an earlier pm, my goal has always bee a 39 bus coupe like the one my dad used to own and race at island dragway in nj, with a 318 poly and three speed, and i have the chance to get a 39 now, but i'll need $4500, and no person in there right mind will give me $4500 for the 51, so i'm not realy planning on selling it, heres a few pics of dads 39, (circa 1963)

post-3436-13585370217501_thumb.jpg

post-3436-13585370217763_thumb.jpg

post-3436-13585370218081_thumb.jpg

what year Caravan?..I think I failed to mention sport.....and of course there is that modification factor in my builds, the 51 has a Dakota suspension..have the progressives or the Canyons for that car..the 52 has Dakota suspension and 79 Chrysler police interceptor package with 9 1/4 rear posi..kinda wide over stock so positive offset is a plus, stock Intrepeid aluminum wheels, the 48 has the '04 Dakota suspension and drivetrain, again positve offset and will use 1 1/2 inch more narrow wheel from 2007 Caravan, Dakotas offset is 5.250, Cafravan is 5.125 but rim is 6.5 not 8 as the Dakotaand the width is lost on the outside lip so will look stock under the non modified fenders ...the 41 has a early 70's 8 3/4 and these early sport Caravan wheels are very special and not so common and not at all like todays later wheels. I have so many times mentioned wheel upgrades require a bit more than just grab and bolt on...I have set of Canyon wheels here totally machined to retrofit on the older cars with the protruding wheel bearing hubs..the hubs do now got through, the wheels are hub concentric and machined to allow torq thrust spinner to be mounted to hide the protruding hub on the front..there is always a bit of extra work to get where you want to go but usually not out of reason to get there. IF you have not modifed your suspension it is almost a given that with the majority of later model wheels regardless of the maker you will use adapters for the look..lot of folks don't like these, lots of folks do..only one or two of my older cars are in stock form and will probaly stay stock..the rest...upgrade baby upgrade..I just have little use for the older drivetrains..don't get me wrong, am not knocking them in any manner..is is just not what I personally want..so I build to get the look I like..the one car I started with a plain body and a set of wheels, I looked for the correct suspension parts to use so to use the wheels..kinda opposite of how most folks do things..sweet part is with the later Dakota components, the hubs are such that flat faced mags go on without a hitch, nothing protrudes factory line up of wheels are so close in offset it is not worth mentioning....the later Dakota is also the prime suspension donor for the 41-48 Plymouth whereas the early Dakota is prime for 49-52..only real prob is the 6 lug hubs and axles..little trip to Moser and that is also no longer an issue.