wide tires on 51 plymouth

scottyv47

ok several people have told me you cant put big tires on my plymouth without major mods, well yesterday i took the back tires (235/60/15) off my 94 voyager, yes i have 235 on it, and bolted them directly on to my 51, having such a big rear offset for front wheel drive works perfect, and there 7 inches wide, and i could easily go to a 245, theres still plenty of room, so heads up guys that want wide tires without any mods, get a set of caravan/voyager, or any other 4.5/114.3 bolt pattern wheels with a 6 inch offset like these and put those big tires on

I have had a set of Caravan wheels mounted on my 41 Dodge for years...mine are the sport aluminum wheels, little harder to come by around these parts....and for giggles the 2007 Caravan wheels are going on my 48 Bz Cp also..there are plenty of wheel options out there..you have but to look..I also have 1998 Intrepid wheel in 16 inch for one of my cars and as set of Jeep Canyons that I have machined for front hubs to stick through and also for Torq Thrust style spinners to bolt onto....I had traded for a set of Progressive 15's that are very nostalgic looking for the bz cp but alas the 12.1" front disc require minimum of 16" wheel..thus the upgrade to the 2007 Caravan wheel..

I had 235/60x15 BFG Radial TA's on 7 inch rims on the back of my 47 for several years, but they always just barely hit the fenders if I went around corners too fast. So when I decided to replace the tires I went slightly smaller on a 6 inch rim, and it clears everything completely.

Marty

for wide rims and fat tires onthe rear, make sure you spring bushings are up to snuff and your trunk id empty. Mine are sloppy and are in contact with my fenders with stuff in the trunk going around tight right hand turns. running 225 75 15 on 5 inch aftermarket rims.

Big wheels and tyres look good...lol.....o/k so I'm a hotrodder........the 1940 has 14x6, 15x10 mags, 205/14 and 275/15 tyres...and yep the reaf fenders are widened front to back by 2"........the 1941 Plymouth has 15x6, 15x7" chrome smoothies by Wheel Vintiques, tyres are Cker classic radials, 195/75x15 and 235/75x15 front & rear, both front and rear clear fine, the car is lowered 2" all round............varoom!........lol...............andyd

post-1938-1358536944854_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585369448905_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585369449322_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585369449614_thumb.jpg

Guest P15-D24

I have 225s on the B1 and I wish I had gone to 215s instead. Low speed turns are a bear even with a big steering wheel. And the steering box has been rebuilds. I can't imagine parallel parking 235s with manual steering.

yeh i used my floor jack on the frame, i have come to realize after being a mopar guy for 45 years now, that if you want wide tires on the back of a mopar you have to lift from the frame to slide past fenders, and its still a trick sometimes, not just the old oldies, had to do the same on most of my 60's and 70's mopars too, thats why i always carry a high lift floor jack, bumper jacks work just as good, but dont like to use them on chance you bend or scrape that pretty bumper you just paid $400 to have rechromed

I have had a set of Caravan wheels mounted on my 41 Dodge for years...mine are the sport aluminum wheels, little harder to come by around these parts....and for giggles the 2007 Caravan wheels are going on my 48 Bz Cp also..there are plenty of wheel options out there..you have but to look..I also have 1998 Intrepid wheel in 16 inch for one of my cars and as set of Jeep Canyons that I have machined for front hubs to stick through and also for Torq Thrust style spinners to bolt onto....I had traded for a set of Progressive 15's that are very nostalgic looking for the bz cp but alas the 12.1" front disc require minimum of 16" wheel..thus the upgrade to the 2007 Caravan wheel..

i was going to go with 16's cause i have a spare set, but very hard to find raised white letter tires in 16's believe it or not, went to 3 tire dealers and couldn't get 245/60/16's in white letter, i just picked up a set of 15's today off another caravan in the local boneyard

I have trouble with my 205's clearing the fenders.

I will try my floor jack on the frame next time.

I picked up some G70's Whitewalls from a club member to put on after I repaint my spare rims.

Thanks

Neil

yeh i used my floor jack on the frame, i have come to realize after being a mopar guy for 45 years now, that if you want wide tires on the back of a mopar you have to lift from the frame to slide past fenders, and its still a trick sometimes, not just the old oldies, had to do the same on most of my 60's and 70's mopars too, thats why i always carry a high lift floor jack, bumper jacks work just as good, but dont like to use them on chance you bend or scrape that pretty bumper you just paid $400 to have rechromed

I am thinking there will be more white..but I have to also admit I have never looked that close lately...I recall blems and scrubbed white letter from the late 60's when they were first popular..they would show white in other places..guess it is all in what you want..I just think they would be out of place..

I have narrow white wall tires on both my P-15 and 55 Chevy pick up and they will probably be the last. Both vehicles have rubbed through the black in spots to the white underneath on the right side only, on the pick up a separate white ring outside of the original white wall. I park them both at the curb beside the house as I only have a single car driveway which is 80" long so to get the vehicle closest to the garage they all must be moved.

raised white letters on a 50's car...wrong decade don't you think?

if i was building it 50's style i would say yes, but i'm building it 60's/70's style like all the 60's/70's hotrodders did with the 40's/50's cars, tuck and roll, white letters, nosed and decked, and the back end raised just a touch

I'll give you that..BUT...for no reason whatsoever raise the rear by using shackles common to that period of time..all they did was caused the distortion of eyelet on the rear of the leaf spring...single biggest snafu of the ear..well..next to a stupid CB radio

Breaker One Nine, you got your ears on, Good Buddy, or are you 10-10 on the side.....

i miss those days, my dads handle was fozzy bear, his buddy was kermit the frog, mine was crewcab deluxe, (at the time i had a 1976 dodge crewcab deluxe model) my buddys was spare parts (he worked at the parts store) his dad was car parts, (he owned the store)

Pick-up with Whip Up.....

ok several people have told me you cant put big tires on my plymouth without major mods, well yesterday i took the back tires (235/60/15) off my 94 voyager, yes i have 235 on it, and bolted them directly on to my 51, having such a big rear offset for front wheel drive works perfect, and there 7 inches wide, and i could easily go to a 245, theres still plenty of room, so heads up guys that want wide tires without any mods, get a set of caravan/voyager, or any other 4.5/114.3 bolt pattern wheels with a 6 inch offset like these and put those big tires on

I went the other way with my Caravan...a set of Chrysler Road Wheels and 235's...a bolt on swap, no problems

RoadWheelsOnCaravan003.jpg

RoadWheelsOnCaravan004.jpg

speaking of rare items, i'm looking for a floor shifter for my 51, and i here there hard to come by, my car is a 3 on the tree not a fluid drive, i read a very confusing post on here from around 2008 talking about the mystery shifter but no one was clear weather it was for a fluid drive or 3 speed, and someone said all late 40's early 50's were fluid drives, mine is definetly a 3 on the tree not a fluid drive any idea's on a floor shift