Thoughts on BB & BBR carbs

bkahler

I talked with a gentleman from a carburetor restoration shop this morning and he had a LOT of bad things to say about the Carter BB and BBR series of carburetors. He said they were so bad that when he rebuilds them he wouldn't warranty them. He told me a story about when the Carter B&B plant went on strike that Carter supplied Carter W1 (I think it was W1) carbs to be used on certain Plymouth cars (1947 ?). The story goes that the cars got better gas mileage and more horse power with the W1 carbs. I mentioned about using a pair of DTE1 carbs on my dual carb setup and he implied that I would never be able to get them to idle and I would be lucky to get the vehicle to move faster than about 30 mph.

The reason I called him was because he had listed a Carter DTE1 carb for sale which I'm trying to match for the one that came stock with my truck. He only wanted $600 for a core :eek:, I didn't ask how much for a rebuilt one :D

If I'm not mistaken a lot of the Plymouth & Dodge cars and trucks of the late 40's and early 50's used the same general carburetor. So, are these carbs as bad as he implied or was he just blowing smoke?

The question I have for everyone is what carbs are they running on their dual carbed 218 engines and what jet sizes, etc.

Thanks,

Brad

Well lets see, my 46 with the 218 and one carb got 16/17 mpg. With the 2 carters, and 230 engine it now gets 19, and it goes way faster than 30. It could idle better, but who drives at idle????? Carters were used by other cars also, Studebakers used a very similar Carter. I believe IH used them on their trucks. If he is so down on them why does he need 600 bucks for a core?????

Opinions are like A holes, everybody has one, some people stink more than others. Give George Asche a call and pass this guys stuff by him. By the way, what was he pushing as replacements??? Rochesters????

Brad, IMHO your carb man is full of baloney. He's making excuses for his poor work before he even performs it. The 30 mph statement is ridiculous. Anyone with his negative attitude would not get near my vehicle at any price.

On my 218 I run 2 stock jetted Carter B&B carbs. They idle great and run great to 75 mph and better. Mine are rebuilt correctly by myself. I would not suggest dealing with the guy you spoke with.

. . I mentioned about using a pair of DTE1 carbs on my dual carb setup and he implied that I would never be able to get them to idle and I would be lucky to get the vehicle to move faster than about 30 mph. . .

I have the original "numbers matching" B&B carburetor on my 190 cu. in. 1933 version of the Plymouth L-6. And I have the original 4.375:1 rear end. I don't like cruising much above 60 MPH as that is about the RPM limit for long life and the brakes and suspension are starting to get scary at that speed. It certainly does better than 30 MPH.

I can't imagine that given your larger engine better breathing with a dual carburetor and, I assume, split exhaust would make it a worse performing vehicle.

Hi Brad, I run 2 stock B&B D6H2's on my 218 and it runs fine and gives 20 mpg on the hiway in O.D. The carbs I'm using were just sort of cobbled to-gether but I'm now in the process of properly re-building another pair that will be matched, or as close as I can get them, so hopefully they will be even better. As for this guy wanting $600.00 for a core I bought my last two on ebay for about $20.00. Good Luck.

I talked with a gentleman from a carburetor restoration shop this morning and he had a LOT of bad things to say about the Carter BB and BBR series of carburetors. He said they were so bad that when he rebuilds them he wouldn't warranty them. He told me a story about when the Carter B&B plant went on strike that Carter supplied Carter W1 (I think it was W1) carbs to be used on certain Plymouth cars (1947 ?). The story goes that the cars got better gas mileage and more horse power with the W1 carbs. I mentioned about using a pair of DTE1 carbs on my dual carb setup and he implied that I would never be able to get them to idle and I would be lucky to get the vehicle to move faster than about 30 mph.

The reason I called him was because he had listed a Carter DTE1 carb for sale which I'm trying to match for the one that came stock with my truck. He only wanted $600 for a core :eek:, I didn't ask how much for a rebuilt one :D

If I'm not mistaken a lot of the Plymouth & Dodge cars and trucks of the late 40's and early 50's used the same general carburetor. So, are these carbs as bad as he implied or was he just blowing smoke?

The question I have for everyone is what carbs are they running on their dual carbed 218 engines and what jet sizes, etc.

Thanks,

Brad

It's guys like this who turn people off old cars completely if they are not a bit knowledgable to start with to know when somethigs fishy.

The guy says b&b's are junk and yet he thinks a core is worth $600???:eek:

What are the ones worth he thinks are good:confused:

I'd like to know who this is so I know in advance not to even call if I need something.

There must be a brown line across his forehead because he's down a quart.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies :)

There is no doubt that he put me off with his attitude. After he finished telling me how bad the BB and BBR units were he said the W series was better and he mentioned another series that was even better but I don't remember which one he told me. The core W1 carbs were $200. He said he had a 3-1/2 year back log on carb restoration work and all he did was carb work.

If the BB and BBR units were so bad then why would a car/truck manufacturer even use them? Good way to lose customers if you ask me.

Bottom line is I have no intentions of following his advice. The fact that so many of you use these carburetors and with great success tells me that he's all wet.

I think I'll either go with two DTE1 carbs or 2681S carbs. I have one of each and which ever one shows up first at my doorstep will be the one I use :D

You guys have been a lot of help and its greatly appreciated.

Pats, I'll send you a PM with the guys info.

Thanks,

Brad

I can't imagine anyone being so good at carb work that people are willing to wait 3.5 years to get one rebuilt by this guy:rolleyes: Did he say anything during that meeting that didn't make you laugh? Chalk me up as another that thinks this guy is full of it. Get your waders out!

My engine is far from pristine and needs a good tune up again. I got 17+mpg last time I checked. BB carb and fluid drive.