trip to a yard

Hey Guy's;

If you do go..?...I need the "Job Rated" casting that goes in the center of the grill circa 51-53. I am not super particular about the quality.....just want something sound enough to fill the pits and do a painted finish on.

I also need the trim strip that divides the middle of the center section of the dash on a 52?

Thanks Jeff

Hey Guy's;

If you do go..?...I need the "Job Rated" casting that goes in the center of the grill circa 51-53. I am not super particular about the quality.....just want something sound enough to fill the pits and do a painted finish on.

I also need the trim strip that divides the middle of the center section of the dash on a 52?

Thanks Jeff

there were not any left or I would have gotten them on the first trip

Hey Mark....there are 10 small bolts inside the fender well. I reinspected mine last night only to find that half the bolts had been broken off inside the mounting nuts. The nuts appear to be set into the sheetmetal and not visable on the inside. So if you do find time to remove them, I imagine the majority of the bolts heads will snap off.

I can't tell if both fenders are present from the pics, but if its just one, that's still a start!!

Good luck on the adventure...wish I was going too.:)

48D

Hey Mark....there are 10 small bolts inside the fender well. I reinspected mine last night only to find that half the bolts had been broken off inside the mounting nuts. The nuts appear to be set into the sheetmetal and not visable on the inside. So if you do find time to remove them, I imagine the majority of the bolts heads will snap off.

I can't tell if both fenders are present from the pics, but if its just one, that's still a start!!

Good luck on the adventure...wish I was going too.:)

48D

I think they were both there. Taking those off will probably be the hardest thing on the trip. You might get some sheet metal attached with the fenders from a saws all....

I notice Ed has been quiet....you still in for the adventure buddy?

I think they were both there. Taking those off will probably be the hardest thing on the trip. You might get some sheet metal attached with the fenders from a saws all....

I notice Ed has been quiet....you still in for the adventure buddy?

Heck ya. We just gotta pick a day. As for his fenders I've got no issues breaking bolts off :) Usually makes it easier!

Heck ya. We just gotta pick a day. As for his fenders I've got no issues breaking bolts off :) Usually makes it easier!

lol...."off with der heeds!!"

I still have those patch panels for your Dakota ED if you want them.

48D

lol...."off with der heeds!!"

I still have those patch panels for your Dakota ED if you want them.

48D

What patch panels have we discussed? Its still rusty so I still want them......

What patch panels have we discussed? Its still rusty so I still want them......

Quite awhile ago we talked about it, when I was building the Bonneville truck you asked about the cab I had.....so I cut out the patches you needed...still have'em on my shelf. Cover the shipping, the rest is free. :D

48D

I wonder if that rear bumper on the panel is factory?.....

48D

I was wondering why no one noticed that.......

At least for the 39-47 panels the rear bumper was standard not optional. I'd say that gives it a better chance of being factory. Looks like a good fit if its aftermarket.

Dav, that looks more like what I'd guess it should look like following the wrap around look the pickups have. The one in the yard seems to end abruptly. On page 16, 30, 103 and others of Bunn's book you can see the rear bumper just creeping around the rear of the panel truck. Unfortunately no full-on rear shots.

My guess, the bumper is not original, but worth salvaging because it's close enough to get by until the real deal was found.

Hank :)

• 2 months later...

Ed and I have a date to go and pick parts. Here is the list as I know it. IF you want something and are willing to trust us to get you a good deal PM me and I'll update the list. We plan on Sept 10th. The cab roof lights I'm planning for use myself.

Stumpy(NH): Mirror & brackets off green wrecker

48dodger: rear fenders off panel truck

B1B Keven: any gauges we find/grill accesory

pflaming: wiper mount

buds truck: door stops/check arms

48dodger: panel truck inner fenders

austin sailor: panel truck doors (rear)

dodgeman: interest in the rear bumper from the panel truck

pflaming: any DODGE grill emblem

looznuts: passenger vent window frame

I'm sure we'll end up with more than that list as we pick thru....

Edited by ggdad1951

Awesome Mark, and Ed....

Remember.....snap the bolt heads off.......and if you need to hit them with a hammer to release them, then do it. I can get them back into shape! Thanks again.:D

48D

I'm interested in the panel truck doors if they are not totally trashed. I would be interested in the fenders as well, but it sounds like they're taken.

Heck, I'd just come get the whole panel if they'd sell it, but usually they aren't interested in that. I'd have patch panels too.

WOW...great picture Tony. I haven't heard you around for a while. The bumper on my suburban looks like it was chopped down to form a step - the tow hitch was bolted to that part. I have cleaned it up and installed it in the shed. It was originally painted white under all that horrible coloured paint, so I'm now thinking that it might have been an Ambulance in its early days rather than a PMG vehicle. I am still puzzled as to why all the running gear underneath was painted red - I'm wondering whether that was something that they did to ambulances in order to better preserve them for the rough conditions in those days.

Desotodav

WOW...great picture Tony. I haven't heard you around for a while. The bumper on my suburban looks like it was chopped down to form a step - the tow hitch was bolted to that part. I have cleaned it up and installed it in the shed. It was originally painted white under all that horrible coloured paint, so I'm now thinking that it might have been an Ambulance in its early days rather than a PMG vehicle. I am still puzzled as to why all the running gear underneath was painted red - I'm wondering whether that was something that they did to ambulances in order to better preserve them for the rough conditions in those days.

Desotodav

Unfortunately time has been taken up with non Dodge things.

I am sure Chrysler Australia used that bumper style on others apart from the PMG vans. The style did change in 57 to a flat step in between two bumper ends. At least that what was on my father`s 58 Royal mail van that he bought from the PMG.

Cannot say I have ever seen a Dodge, Ambulance or otherwise painted red underneath. Strange.

I have a copy of one page of the plans showing the mods done to the PMG vans. Wish I had page 2 as well as it shows the grill guard that was available.

DSC08450edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours on the road, 2 missed turns and 6 hours of parts pulling. I will get PM's to everyone wthat requested parts with detail of what and costs, you should see something tomrrow.

Meanwhile, to make sure people aren't on pins and needles I'll update the list below with a yes or no type answer if we got it.

Ed took a picture of the bed of my truck full of parts he said he'd post.

Stumpy(NH): Mirror & brackets off green wrecker: YES

48dodger: rear fenders off panel truck NO, swiss cheese, basically fell apart

B1B Keven: any gauges we find/grill accesory YES,: 1 speedo, 2 gauge sets (1 quad set, 1 linear), DODGE nose emblem

pflaming: wiper mount: YES

buds truck: door stops/check arms: YES

48dodger: panel truck inner fenders: NO, one gone the other was loose, with no metal near the mounting areas

austin sailor: panel truck doors (rear): YES/NO driver side good, passenger was trashed

dodgeman: interest in the rear bumper from the panel truck: YES

pflaming: any DODGE grill emblem: YES?, will have to determine who asked first/do you mean the center badge or the DODGE right below the hood

looznuts: passenger vent window frame: YES glass frame retrieved but lower pivot stud is gone (I've seen NOS replacement parts on Epay)

Did get some grill bars for a mid 50's truck, and several hood prop arms as well.

Panel truck is not worth saving, way trashed, not much left on it that is salvagable

Edited by ggdad1951

any '58's in the yard...

Tim there was one truck that I think was a 58 might have been a 59. Dual headlights. Not sure how bad your doors are to know if these would be worth buying and mailing down.