Interior Smell

meadowbrook

Hi everyone.

I was looking for tips on the 'old car smell' in my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. The interior is original and the seats are in good shape, where does that 'old car smell' come from? It is a musty smell that makes my throat feel a but raw after driving the car a while. would a carpet replacement reduce this? I would like not to redo the seats or headliner as they are original and in good shape and the headliner is perfect.

On that topic, i was thinking of also adding a PCV system to it as maybe the raw throat feeling is from breathing the crank case gases as I drive the car. (despite having the windows and cowl vent open.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Could be mice but could not be as well. The old cars just get that old car smell no matter what. I leave a bar of Original Irish Spring soap in the car. It is not only a mice deterrent but smells nice a swell. I also put in an air freshner at times. Certainly check for any evidence of mice but if none is found, use a freshner or your choice.

Ask around your area for a shop that sells detailing supplies to dealers and detailers. They sell for about 10 to 15 dollars an interior deoderizing bombs. These are aresols you put in the car and let it run for 10 minutes or so. They come in scented and unsented form and are pretty effective.

At the dealership I worked at, we did a car that had a gallon jug of spoiled milk spilled and left in the trunk in hot summer weather. Even after the trunk carpet was changed the car still smelled. It took two treatments but finally the smell was gone.

Then a few fabric softener squares up under the seat usually works to keep it clean smelling after the treatments.

Something I've used in the past for that mildew smell was cedar chips in plastic bags left open under the seats, etc... We used to have a hamster and the bag of cedar chips for his home were what I used for the smell. I figured if folks use cedar chests for basically the same reason then why not just add them to the vehicle. I personally like that old car smell as long as it's not over powering like that left by rodents. I can understand why some would not like the old car smell, I cant stand the smell of mothballs.

I leave a bar of Original Irish Spring soap in the car. It is not only a mice deterrent but smells nice as well.

How is this a mice deterrent? Does this smell work the same on Canadian mice as well as Irish mice???

I cant stand the smell of mothballs.

I once asked my grandmother if she had ever smelled mothballs. She said yes, so I asker how she got there little legs apart?

Sorry but I could not resist:o My grandmother laughed so I hope you folks do so too.

How is this a mice deterrent? Does this smell work the same on Canadian mice as well as Irish mice???

Actually, I find it has worked well on mice of all nationalities, even American mice. I have never had a mouse problem using Irish Spring soap in my vehicles including my ancient motorhome which is parked out in the boonies most of the year. I heard years ago to try it as a mouse deterrent as it supposedly works better than mothballs. So far 100% success. I leave a couple of bars in the cars and motorhome over the winter and one throughout the summer. I change bars each year for fresh ones. Use the old ones in the shower.:P Try it..........you'll like it! Smells better than most air fresheners.

A product recommended by UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) is a product called "Fresh Cab".I haven't tried it as yet,but probably will... http://www.earth-kind.com/

I once asked my grandmother if she had ever smelled mothballs. She said yes, so I asker how she got there little legs apart?

Sorry but I could not resist:o My grandmother laughed so I hope you folks do so too.

A} you'd probably have to use some kind of french soap on the canuuk mice

if they're french, otherwise the irish spring would work....on St Patric's day the irish spring would work for "all" since everybody's irish that day...mice should be too!

B}man, if I pulled that stunt with my grandmother Id' be on the wrong side of a soap bar...she'd probably beat me with it in a sock 1st then shove it in my mouth afterwards...she was german irish, so yeah, schnitzel with baileys{lol}....

...The wife just got home, Im going to ask her if she ever smelt mothballs{lol}...if I dood it I'll get a whip'in...I dood it!

Hi everyone.

I was looking for tips on the 'old car smell' in my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. The interior is original and the seats are in good shape, where does that 'old car smell' come from? It is a musty smell that makes my throat feel a but raw after driving the car a while. would a carpet replacement reduce this? I would like not to redo the seats or headliner as they are original and in good shape and the headliner is perfect.

On that topic, i was thinking of also adding a PCV system to it as maybe the raw throat feeling is from breathing the crank case gases as I drive the car. (despite having the windows and cowl vent open.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My parents own a car wash...or washcar as my son calls it. They sell those hanging air fresheners there, other shops do too, and let me tell you, if you totally open up the package it'll impregnate any car with that smell for quite some time since they're very strong.

Food for thought.

I have not seen a lil' stinker in a long time..remeber them little skunks

Dad had one is most of his cars my entire childhood. I'd love to give him one for his 51 convert even if it didn't smell anymore.

A friend of mine is a funeral director. He had some deodorizer that was industrial strength, yet had a pleasant aroma. Obviously a funeral home has a need for that sort of thing from time to time. And my wife and I had a small Mom & Pop music store a few years ago. We would purchase used trumpets, trombones, etc. and send them out to be refurbished for resale . The shop where we sent them used the same deodorizer to eliminate the musty odor common to the instrument cases. I don't recall the brand name of the deodorizer, but when I talk to the friend again I'll ask for details. Or ask your local friendly funeral director what they use to mask those pesky nasty odors:eek:.

..probably,whatever the product is -there is a health risk associated with it's use to those of us still living ;)

The smell you get with old cars sometimes come from the material the seat springs are wraped in. It's like a burlap material. When that gets old it has a real smell of it's own. The material the car makers use differ i think that's why different makes have there own smell. Yes mice can make a car "stink" It is very easy to get that sell out. The remedy is very inexpensive and it's right at the dollar store. The product is 409 carpet cleaner. I use it on cars I keep in my garage in the country all the time. It is strong. It is also used for pet odor. I use that an frebreze. I also let the car air out with the windows down over night. The next day it is real nice. If you have a bus. coupe it is real smart to wash the trunk area as well. I have found that alot of smells get trapped in the trunk. When you shampo the rug and headliner let it sit then do the rug again and vacum. while you are at it there is a solution that the dollar store sells for a dollar it is yellow in a spray bottle that is very good for your white wall tires.:)