!951 Plymouth Engine in 1958 Dodge?

Local2ED

Hi, I'm a new guy here, my name's Ed.

Sorry to have to make this quick but I type with one finger and by the time I finish a long post the forum tells me I didn't log in and I lose what i typed.

Anyhow I don't mean to be ignorant but my question is can I put a 1951(p23 on the engine) Plymouth engine that has a stick shift flywheel on it and replace the flywheel from a powerflite automatic and put it back in a 1958 Dodge Coronet?

Thanks in advance, Ed.

Yes but there are some problems. the 51 Plymouth engine is a 218 with about 20 less hp than the 58 230. Also the crank shaft flange on the Plymouth is only drilled for 4 holes, I believe that the 230 crank are 8 hole to accomodate the extra weight of the TQ.

You swap the internals from the 230 into the 218 as the difference is in the stroke there by making the 218 a 230 and havint the option to keep the Powerflite or swap the standard in. You would also need to take some measurments as to where the crossmember is as the bellhousings may also differ in length and the bellmounts to the X member. Also the driveshaft might need to delt with to accomodate any diffenrences in length from block through the bell and trans.

In other words it can be sone but it likely not a one for one bolt up deal.

You might want to keep the power flight as they are a pretty bullet proof trans and should be fixable if its not up to snuff currently. They are a pretty decent set up. theother consideration is the shifting linkage if you do the swap.

as for the timing out situation on the forum, when you sigh ni make sure you check the keep me signed in box in the signe in area.

Welcome and keep us poesed on what you decide to go with.

Welcome to the forum. We're where it's at if your motor's flat!

I put a '57 Plymouth 230 engine into my '52 Cambridge, essentially the same swap but in reverse. The '52 bell housing bolted right onto the '57 block. The newer engine uses an electrical coolant temperature sensor instead of the bulb-type on the '52, and the thread sizes were different. I also had to fiddle with the gas pedal linkage (still not 100% pleased with what i did...on the 'to do' list). I used the '52 starter and flywheel.

Best of luck with your project.

I intend to keep using the Powerflite but I don't see why the Powerflite from the '58 Dodge would not bolt-up to the '51 plymouth engine. Temp sender is not a problem. It looks like I'll have to swap oil pans and pick-ups. I'm not sure about the flywheels inter changing without swapping the crankshaft also. I don't have possesion of the '51 Plymouth yet I'm only working from side-view pictures of it and it's 175 miles away from me so I'm trying to determine if I could use this engine or not before I go look at it .

Thanks, Ed.

The critical items are the crankshaft flange and the depth of the bellhousing. They may bolt up but not bolt in....

The front engine mounts should be the same, the block lengths are the same, the difference may be in the bellhousing. When I read your original post it looked like you were thinkig of swappig to the standard trans so thats where the concern for the bell housing depth came in. If you are keeping the powerflite, than that goes away. But the crank flange will still need to be dealt with. There is also some difference in the thickness of the flange between early 218's and later 230's.

If you swap the rotating assembly into the earlier block you should be good to go.

Have you considered rebuilding the engine in the 58? It's not that difficult or expensive if the rod isn't sticking through the block. Probably no more trouble than the engine swap' date=' and you will know when you are done that you have an engine good for another 80,000 miles.[/quote']

I most likely am going to rebuild the '58 engine but I was looking to put this Plymouth engine in the car now just so I can move it under it's own power. I don't know why the '58 engine won't turn yet. No visable rod sticking through the block. I pulled the head and seen the some of the valves are frozen in the guides. I loosened the lifters as much as possible, removed the fuel pump, and been soaking the cylinders for almost two weeks and the crank wont budge. I'll be pulling the motor out this week to see what the problem is.

One other question. Since I can't turn the engine to get to the torque converter bolts can I just slide the engine forward to pull the converter out of the transmission. I know I did that once years ago on a 400cu.in. Ford so I am assuming a Powerflite trans. is the same.

Thank you, Ed