6volt turn signals

larryconnors

It depends on your turn signal switch, if you have a 7 wire switch your good to go, if you have a 3 wire switch its a little harder.

My car had a 3 wire turn signal switch so what I did was drill an extra hole behind the tail light for a seperate light fixture which I used for the turn signal light, I then used the stock dual filament bulb fixture for the tail and brake lights. There is not a lot of room inside the tail light lens so keep that in mind when your drilling the hole, also I had to weld the bulb holder into the car because there wasn't enough room inside the lens for the bulb. My car is 12v but the voltage doesn't matter, the only difference will be the flasher and bulbs.

With a 7 wire switch you wont need the extra bulb in the tail light because the turn signal switch interupts the brake light when the turn signal is on.

I also wanted to add turn signals to my '40 but there was not room to add or change bulbs. I ended up wiring diodes into the front park lights, works great but I can't have the parking lights on when using the turn signals.

The turn signal is just a switch. It doesn't care about voltage. Swap any 12v light bulbs to their 6v equivalent, and swap the 12v flashers for the equivalent 6v units. Make sure you have a stout enough fuse (most flashers provide a suggestion) that can handle the increased amperage of a 6v system and you should be good to go.

I also wanted to add turn signals to my '40 but there was not room to add or change bulbs. I ended up wiring diodes into the front park lights, works great but I can't have the parking lights on when using the turn signals.

I know some people that have used foglights as their front turn signals. A pair of backup lights with a red lens, or red bulb, should work good for the rears.

The 7 wire unit is definitely the easiest to work with, in my opinion.

You can buy the double filament contacts with pigtail at the typical auto

supply. Got mine at O'Reilly. You can do one of two things with your

front parking lights.......put in double filament base, or (as I did) just

use the original single base and bulb......but you have no parking lights-only

turn signals.

I just did my 46 BC today. You really need to change out the sockets because the pigtails won't index to any specific location and will just spin in your current socket. I used NAPA LS6242, in front, took half a day to order and receive. For the rear I used some generic off the shelf type, ripped the old socket out bu grinding the rear of the holder and just tacked welded the new scoket to the holder. I attached a good groung to each holder and then the leads to the car body. I just rewired the entire car and all my lights and signal nights are as bright as a new car.