Savoy

tinlizzy

Can anyone give me an estimate of the value of a 1961 Savoy 4 door sedan,

miles on Odometer are 42,000 but has a rebuilt engine so probably 142000. Only body damage I see is a rust bubble on right rear corner where brake light panel is connected to fender. There are no other blemishes on the car and it has it's original interior in excellent shape. I didn't check the engine but believe it is a slant 6 with 3 speed manual tranny. This car belongs to a little old lady, seriously, and her husband recently passed on. She wants to know about what to ask for it so she can put it up for sale.

Thanks

Lee

Given the scenerio, I doubt that it is a "slant 6". I suspect someone has there terms mixed up and it should be "flat 6". Check eBay and Craigs list for reference. Check this sites classifieds if you haven't. With the original interior, decent maintainance, minimum rust, decent tires and running, I'd venture asking $3,500- $4,000. However, you may have to settle for half of that.

It's great that you are trying to help a widow who is stuck with her spouse's property. You and the lady should be aware that the car may have been worth much more to him than what can be recovered. It's a situation that many of us, at our advancing years, are faced with.

That being said, I would gladly defer to other forum members who have more experience and a better view of this generation of car.

1961 the flathead was gone from the car line up..the '61 Savoy was very comnmon drivline with the /6. These cars are a love/hate design and don't have a large following but for some they are the bee's knees..dad had a 61 Belvedere..it was a 318 model..excellent car to drive..brakes were horrible in reverse..only thing I could ever fault it on..

I do not think it being a /6, Savoy trim, and 4 door regardless of condition that it would pull a great amount of coin..had it been a 2 door and in great shape metal wise I can see some of the Fury guys all over this car..even at that, the doghouse will be of more value to a rebuilder than the car itself may have in one piece

They had a face only their mother would love and the rear end wasn't much better. I think some one got dyslexic with their french curve when the laid down the design. The car below was a gogle image search just to know whats being talked about.

1961%20plymouth%20savoy%20fvl=mx=.jpg

1961%20plymouth%20savoy%20rvr=mx=.jpg

The savoy was the stripper model so just about everything above the bare car with the

/6 was an option. If its a good runner you might get some special interest Mopar nut to give 2K for it. there are a couple of non runners on epay currently in that neighborhood.

Given the scenerio, I doubt that it is a "slant 6". I suspect someone has there terms mixed up and it should be "flat 6".

Yeah, I goofed big time :o My apologies to tinlizzy. Old cars on the brain I guess. Looks like I was close on the rest of my advice/opinion. Thanks to others for chiming in!

Price - whatever you can get. I would be jumping all over $2,000.00 if offered. I am not sure how Plymouth stayed in business after that year. I have always thought the '61 Plymouth was the ugliest Plymouth ever built. No offence meant to any owner's of '61 Plymouths out there but you probably took some anyway. As Tim stated, you love it or you hate it.

Yeah, I goofed big time :o My apologies to tinlizzy. Old cars on the brain I guess. Looks like I was close on the rest of my advice/opinion. Thanks to others for chiming in!

FWIW, coming from the air cooled engine world, a Flat 6 is what we call a horizontally opposed engine such as those in the rear engined Porsches Corvairs and uplevel Subarus :)

Ever seen a slant 4? Look at a Triumph TR7 or an old Saab 99. :)

th?id=I4920353758118437&pid=1.1

Old Car Price Guide says $428 to $10,700 depending on condition. Those prices are for "parts car" and "perfectly restored 100 point show winning restoration". Your car isn't either of those but without a better description, can't pin it down. A "driver" would be $2140 to $4820.

Meadowbrook is right, no Plymouth ever came with a "flat 6". Up to 1959 came with a "flathead 6" 1960 up came with "slant 6".

Engine could be a 225 cu in slant 6, 318 V8 A engine, or a 361 or 383 V8 B engine. Most came with a 318. They were the only one with bolts in the middle of the valve cover, the others had them around the edge.

If the original interior is in excellent shape it may well have 42000 miles on it. If it was 142000 the driver's seat would be torn and rump sprung, the pedals worn down, driver's door handle and hinges floppy, steering wheel worn, etc. But if it has 42000 it will be much closer to a new car.

Savoy was not absolutely the cheapest full size Plymouth. The price guide lists a "Fleet Special" but the Savoy was the cheapest "civilian" model. Funny that after naming their models after hotels, like Savoy and Belvedere, they never offered a Motel 6.

Edited by Rusty O'Toole

Funny that after naming their models after hotels' date=' like Savoy and Belvedere, they never offered a Motel 6.[/quote']

I always assumed that the Belvedere line was named after the assembly plant. However it seems that it is spelled differently and the plant opened years after the name was used on cars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvidere_Assembly_Plant

as does Porsche..it is not a new concept..heck even the LA engine has a slant 4 version..

In the case of the Porsche, wasn't it the other way around? I thought the 924/944 four cylinder came first, then they made a V-8 out of it for the 928???

Marty, digging deep .........

The 928 is quite an old platform really..the 924 was an Audi based engine and went on record as the first front engine water cool though they never really ever consider alternate engines as true Porsche..(Audi engine 924, VW engine 914) here is a little quip...

Porsche re-worked the platform and abandoned the Audi engine, installing in its place a new all-alloy 2.5-litre straight-4 engine, bore 100 mm (3.9 in), stroke 78.9 mm (3.1 in), that was, in essence, half of the 928's 5.0-litre V8, although very few parts were actually interchangeable.