Car Chassis,Serial and Body Numbers ???

Andydodge

O/k so I'm a slow learner.........my 1936-1942 Australian Factory Service Manual lists car "Serial Numbers" and my 1941 P11 Coupe, whilst Sth African built has a plate on the Oz drivers front door pillar with # 15043851 stamped into it, so I guess thats the serial number.

However on the US drivers side, engine side of the upper firewall there is the small plate with "P11 1063 ASC"......this number I assume is the Plymouth body number for this ASC coupe, ie, its the 1063th ASC coupe built by Plymouth.

Then of course there is the engine number stamped on the block..... P11168737.

So there are 3 numbers I have found and the local registration/licencing authorities have in fact used the body number as the "VIN/Chassis number"........but is there a separate "chassis" number and if so......where is it to be found, how many numbers might it be and what if any relevance does it have or not have to the body number?..........thanks, Andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Your door post number is the car's identifying number. Back in those days they were called serial numbers. The term "Vehicle Identification Number" didn't exist when that car was built. You are correct - there are 3 numbers on the car -- the serial number from the door post (which is the number the factory used to keep track of the car), the body number (you are correct, ASC stands for Auxiliary Seat Coupe) and the engine number which is a P11 (Deluxe) series number. There is/was no such thing as a VIN number in 1941....

Jim, thanks for the prompt reply........need to get my eyes/ glasses checked........lol..........I wrote down the wrong serial number so just amended it to the right one, 15043851...........as for any ID plates from Sth Africa I haven't found any, only the US door jam and firewall plates as mentioned above.......it may have been you who 1st stated when I joined the P15 Forum that the serial number indicated a Detroit Export build.........the previous owner that I purchased the car from was an expat Sth African who, whilst not importing the car himself was quite definate about it being a Sth African assembled car, factory RHD.........I knew about the VIN thing, as far as I am aware the VIN came about in the mid 60's when US cars were no longer expressly separate chassis and body, necessitating another name for the ID number........anyway can you confirm that there is no actual number stamped into the chassis anywhere?..................thanks, andyd

post-1938-13585368885693_thumb.jpg

My 49 Chrysler has the serial number stamped into the frame top under the drivers seat...can only be seen if the body is off the frame...OR if there is a well placed rust hole...I'm told there is also one stamped into the side of the frame above the rear axle housing but I have not seen it nor have I looked for it.

In Alberta, the serial number has always been used for registration on vehicles pre VIN

My 49 Chrysler has the serial number stamped into the frame top under the drivers seat...can only be seen if the body is off the frame...OR if there is a well placed rust hole...I'm told there is also one stamped into the side of the frame above the rear axle housing but I have not seen it nor have I looked for it.

In Alberta, the serial number has always been used for registration on vehicles pre VIN

The rear axle / spring location is usually on American vehicles. Prior to 1949 they were up front by the front axle, serial number on the right side of the vehicle and engine number on the left side.

Is your 1949 Chrysler an American or Canadian model? Have had people look on Canadian-built models at the American spec locations and never find anything.