The Dreaded Hot Start Thread

55 Fargo

Wooden clothes pin?  I've heard this before, but where do you put the clothes pin?

on the fuel line, engine compartment, close to the carb.  I've seen anywhere from 1 to a half dozen  used.  Also heard and seen cow magnets on the fuel line will help.   have no proof either really works or if they do, why.

One other little side note to add....I had a similar issue with hard starting when warm, and methodically worked my way through the fuel system and carb until I noticed that the heat riser in the manifold was stuck in the open position because the spring and pivot had frozen up.....fixed that, and the hard starting issue was solved.  There's a good tech article on how to fix it here on the forums. 

Thanx all for your replies, on this topic, and my dilemna.

I have searched and found I have been flogging this "dead horse", off and on for years.

I have rebuilt this carb, fuel pump puts out the correct volume of fuel.

I have a rebuilt distributor, newer coil, wires plugs etc.

But this sumbich, is a PITA to start after a highway drive, , it makes it difficult to want to go for a ride on a nice warm day.

Today we have Seattle weather, 50s, fine spray outside. I go for a short drive, then come home, engine just warmed up, re-starts no problem. If I went on a the highway, stopped for a few minutes, it would be a bugger to restart.

I am tired of trying to figure this out, and don't want anyone else wasting there time on it either, I should have been able to correct this years ago, but I have failed.........

I've been through this, swapped out everything for new parts (points, condesor,cap, rotor, wires, plugs, carb rebuild etc etc etc) and still couldnt get it reliable ...really, get a pertronix module and matching coil and be happy. it solved all of my starting woes, I can now drive and not worry about stopping at a store for a coke and not have it start for 30 minutes. It fires right up, cold or hot, no problems and I can enjoy/trust my car again.

For those that care about looking original, everything is hidden under the distributor cap and the coil even is black and looks factory.

Edited by Conroe Powdercoating
  • Like 1

I am by far no expert on the modules and dont know the difference in options between them. I emailed pertronix and told them what distributor I had and they recommended the module and matching coil. then I took those part numbers and found on amazon for a lot cheaper.

All I know is my car was unreliable, therefore un-useable and now i dont hesitate to hop in and go anywhere, no matter how many stops in between, it always starts now. I would have been happy solving the hot start problem I had but it not only did that, but it starts faster, idles smoother and runs down the road better.

I fought the stock ignition for years, tons of new parts etc etc and just basically ended up not driving the car, I love driving this car when it is acting right...and now it is. there is no comparison between the two systems and it looking stock was kinda important to me, I still run all stock everything under the hood except ignition.

oh, and I'm still on 6v positive ground.

this was the only system I know of that gives me electronic ignition w/o 12v conversion.

I also know its like being a modern day caveman insisting on rubbing sticks together for fire when I could have easily picked up a lighter ....I'm a caveman no more.

Edited by Conroe Powdercoating
  • Like 1

I was having hot start problems as well.  I did the same thing, put in a pertronix (ignitor) and the matching coil.  I also just put in an electric  fuel pump (Airtex E8011) way back by the gas tank.    Now it leaps to a hot start.  Today was 90 here....started right up hot.   I was wilting, but the car was running.    Bypassed the mechanical fuel pump, wired the pump in with a relay and  an inertia cut off switch in case of an accident.....but to me it was worth the effort and expense,  it just starts right up...hot...cold...whatever.

I so agree...I like that I can enjoy/trust my car.   

My wife likes it too.   Happy wife...happy life!

Almost forgot...the pertronix support is excellent...either by email or phone.  I had a few questions.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ooops, above, I gave you the link to a 14 volt relay not the 6 volt.

here is the right 6 volt one   http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield/1432872-1/automotive-relay-spdt-6vdc-40a/dp/21M4887

Forgive me if you are familiar with relays, but I didn't know a relay from a kosher pickle, but I did learn a lot from this site

http://www.rattlebars.com/avalanche/relay_basics.html

Cheers

Scott

On a hot start, fuel related problem. I have new fuel pump, heat shields, fuel lines and tank. Thought I had all fuel delivery problems solved. Car was idling  outside coffee shop quit would not restart. Let it cool off put 2 gal fresh fuel in ( thought fuel gauge was wrong} restarted. Put new electric fuel pump in no more problems. Also around this time I switched to a dry element air filter so I don't know for sure. Old mech.  pump still on block, need to make block off plate. This car makes me so nervous when I drive it, its not funny.

• Like 1

If you install a block-off plate, check your screw depth.  Once upon a time, I fabricated a block-off plate that was thinner than the fuel pump flanges, but I used the existing machine screws.  The fuel pump cam hit one of the screws.  It unscrewed hard, but I got it out.  It was no longer straight.    

• Like 1