Chrysler save us...OT

Plymouthy Adams

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pineberry float?"

I went over to farm and fleet last night to pick up a 2 ton engine hoist and while I was there I figured I'd try someone in person to fix my flat tire...awh geez you shoulda seen it!...a true you tube moment. 3 young kids trying to figure out which tube would fit my tire and they kept picking out 15" tubes for my 16" tire. Told me "sorry, the computer only goes back to 1942 and your car is a 1940, sir". Finally got a grey haired gent who told the kids to "go do something" and he set me up fine, though the tube wound up being a tractor tube but it was the correct size{6.00x16} and valve stem length.

It would seem that without the help of a computer, alot of kids now-a-days are helpless...I like the old days of a 4' long rack of parts books.

I smirked all the way home especially when I spied a rumbly 66 GTO at a light with a new mustang next to it across from me...light turned green, the mustang got on it and the goat was totally gone before the stang hit 2nd.

$22.85 for a new tube, plastic valve stem guide and rebalance, and the night's entertainment that came with it...priceless!

Glad you finally got it fixed and got some free entertainment thrown in. Not just the GTO/Mustang but the older fellow coming over and telling the three youngsters to go find something to do.:P

I am suprised though that you had so much trouble finding somewhere to fix your tire. I live in a city of 85,000 and I can think of at least 4 places that can do tube tires. Probably more but I just know the ones I have dealt with. Tubes aren't that hard but it is usually the older guys who work on them.

Glad you finally got it fixed and got some free entertainment thrown in. Not just the GTO/Mustang but the older fellow coming over and telling the three youngsters to go find something to do.:P

I am suprised though that you had so much trouble finding somewhere to fix your tire. I live in a city of 85,000 and I can think of at least 4 places that can do tube tires. Probably more but I just know the ones I have dealt with. Tubes aren't that hard but it is usually the older guys who work on them.

Yeah, I saw the mustang there next to the goat and thought "he ain't gonna...yup he did...and there goes the goat...hahaha...dope!"

...as far as the other places I called, yeah, there's the problem- young kids or slightly folks who aren't used to working with tube tires. I was going to ask were the 6v bulbs were and figured, nope!

Yeah, I saw the mustang there next to the goat and thought "he ain't gonna...yup he did...and there goes the goat...hahaha...dope!"

...as far as the other places I called, yeah, there's the problem- young kids or slightly folks who aren't used to working with tube tires. I was going to ask were the 6v bulbs were and figured, nope!

You reminded me of this when you talked about the GTO. I just had to share. :P

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=32436

I know that finding parts is sometimes frustrating, but I am amazed that the parts stores do as well as they do. My '48 Dodge is now 64 years old. In general I have had pretty good luck getting parts at variety of stores in Massachusetts and North Carolina. When I graduated High school in 1970 and got my first job in a service station, a 64 yr old car would have been a 1906 model. I doubt that the local parts store would have stocked many parts for a 1906 car in 1970! Fortunately the oldest car brought to our shop by a customer was a Model A.

Dave

I know that finding parts is sometimes frustrating, but I am amazed that the parts stores do as well as they do. My '48 Dodge is now 64 years old. In general I have had pretty good luck getting parts at variety of stores in Massachusetts and North Carolina. When I graduated High school in 1970 and got my first job in a service station, a 64 yr old car would have been a 1906 model. I doubt that the local parts store would have stocked many parts for a 1906 car in 1970! Fortunately the oldest car brought to our shop by a customer was a Model A.

Dave

Good point on that. And a '28 A would have been "only" 42 years old at the time, the equivalent of a 1970 model today.

Seems like WW2 was a cut off time for many parts books in the mid to late '70s. I know in 1973 when I first went looking for points, rotor, cap and condenser for my '33 Plymouth the car was too old for the books at the local auto supply. I ended up asking for the equivalent parts for the oldest 6 cylinder Chevrolet they had listings for. Those parts fit and worked fine (Chrysler used Delco-Remy electrical parts through '34).

Dave,As Tod said,that sort of puts it in perspective and we are fortunate to be able to source parts for our "collector" cars at local parts stores, (those that are original) ...

Brought to mind another question - I wonder how many forum members are older than their "collector" car? :rolleyes:

Dave,As Tod said,that sort of puts it in perspective and we are fortunate to be able to source parts for our "collector" cars at local parts stores, (those that are original) ...

Brought to mind another question - I wonder how many forum members are older than their "collector" car? :rolleyes:

A guy asked me what year my car was and I told him a 47. He then asked me if that was the year I was born. REALLY?!? I thought to myself. My quick reply was 66. Thought to myself what an idiot.

I look older than my years but not near 20 years older.

..When people started asking me if I was a senior,(even before I qualified), I always replied yes...particularly if there was a $ savings to be had -part of my Scots-Irish heritage I guess ;)... (also I am older than my car)

My '46 Plymouth is 4 years younger than I am

Gents,

Pigiron is two years younger than I and after perusing the previous responses it occurs to me that we're getting to be a gaggle of old farts. Funny thing, when I got my car 24 years ago it was still two years younger than I but I never gave it a second thought. Either we're trying to relive our misspent youths or we now have some of the knowledge necessary to keep our rides on the road, and I favor the latter option.

-Randy