Chrysler save us...OT

Plymouthy Adams

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the parts counter idiots..the average car I work on is years older than most of the counter punk..I think I have underwear that is older than them and of better service...

I take it you have just had a bad experience! It likely won't get any better at most auto stores. If it's not on the computer, it does not exist. Even then, you have to be careful. I usually find the older the counter person, the better the chance of success.

Tim,

I solved the problem of having underwear older than the counter person by no longer wearing underwear. If the problem gets to you too badly I suggest you follow suit (or lack of suit, as the case may be). I've heard all my adult life how some men "need the support" but in most cases the only thing they're supporting in over-inflated egos.

Sorry, but you left yourself wide open for that.

More to the point, every computer-operating counter man or boy will tell you that their databases are updated daily (or whatever) but the fact is that they aren't, and what we want for our cars is sometimes never up-loaded because "nobody buys it anymore". What I've been doing for several years is to hit several parts houses at once on the internet and find who has it at a decent price, then write down their part number and that's what I give to the guy at the counter. I haven't ever had a bad experience doing that because I know they have the part in stock and most of them will ask if they don't know or can't find it. It's an experience you might imagine if we still had parts folk who still liked their job. The paper isn't coming back because it simply costs too much and it takes too long to get updates written and out to the shops whereas a computer can stay current for almost free. If the parts houses would pay an employee enough to live and if the employee were willing to learn... I do get off on tangents and fantasies, don't I?

There are several advantageous options available on-line and my favorite is to have it shipped to the store the next day and never tell the store. When I go to pick it up the next day I can sometimes get the fresh-manicured counter clown to auger himself into the floor when I quietly instruct him how to look on a pallet . Worth the price of admission and underwear is not mandatory.

-Randy

Lucky to have 2 great parts stores here...both with shall we say older, experienced partsmen. The thing I find amusing is that while the parts I'm usually after are seldom on the shelf, they are usually at the warehouse IN THE CITY and are on the next truck to the store, usually same day.

By not knowing their stuff, the computer partsmen...well partsboys and girls...are missing some good sales and repeat customers.

I drive clear across town for my parts even for the 2000 Caravan and the 94 Econoline...They got me what I needed for the old car, they get my business for the "newer" stuff too. I think in the olden days it was customer loyalty ... unimportant these days so it seems :(

well the experience was not that of dealing with my vintage cars but more in line with the daily drivers..its a killer when you have to tell the person to look on the wall behind them and they still fail to understand or whats worse even recognize the parts you are making reference to..their combined life experience exists in text form or thumbs action on a xB 360 controller..what makes it worse is the fact that I no longer drive by the stores on a daily basis and can't just drop in, grab the counter book they don't know how to use and get the part I need..if for some reason the computer goes down..they may as well lock the doors..

For the pure entertainment value go into a parts chain joint, find someone under 25 and ask them for a points file...........when they ask what it is, say you have no idea but have been told by your mechanic to obtain such an animal..........lol...........when they ask what car its to suit, just say the one you normally drive...........lol.........well...what is it???........lol................why its a 194..............parts boys eyes glaze over and you then proceed to find your next victim.......lol........................ah, the joys of being old.......andyd

I sent my wife in to a Autozone for a belt. I took a old belt and cut it to length to fit the pulleys, after I did some major modifying and rerouting on my '89 motorhome. I guess the parts guy (kid) couldn't get past the ''what does it fit ?'' . My wife said she kept telling him , just match up the belt ! When she got home . it was still the wrong size !

Lucky to have 2 great parts stores here...both with shall we say older, experienced partsmen. The thing I find amusing is that while the parts I'm usually after are seldom on the shelf, they are usually at the warehouse IN THE CITY and are on the next truck to the store, usually same day.

By not knowing their stuff, the computer partsmen...well partsboys and girls...are missing some good sales and repeat customers.

I drive clear across town for my parts even for the 2000 Caravan and the 94 Econoline...They got me what I needed for the old car, they get my business for the "newer" stuff too. I think in the olden days it was customer loyalty ... unimportant these days so it seems :(

Pretty close to my experience. Except I only know of one great parts store and I have neither a 2000 Caravan nor a '94 Econoline.

My biggest problem with them is they are no longer open on weekends. I guess because they mainly deal with garages rather than DIY types. When I need something for the '33 I give them a call when they open and can usually drop by during lunch to pick it up. Sometimes I need to stop by just before they close if the part didn't make the morning delivery from the warehouse and was on the afternoon delivery. Did I mention they are walking distance from where I work?

I went to my regular's competitor this morning..very willing to assist in my quest..found the part I need in the catalog in a manner of minutes, found it was in stock...cheap at twice the price...along with the recent aggrivation of the newbies not knowing how to get a part in for a person who holds a business account with them..I am seriously considering changing my location of business..I did talk to the manager..he asked that next time get the person's name..he will handle it from there..I feelcustomer loyality is a two way street..

My trade was Parts and Service sales....you are right to say most younger parts persons are stuck in the computer age. Is it their fault? Not really.That is the way it is. What is needed is more training from the store owners. They tend to pay a lower rate of pay to most counter people because of their lack of knowledge. I bugs me to no end. I had a 34 chev hot rod with a 350 sbc. It needed a fuel pump. I had the pump in hand when I went into the store. The young parts guy asked me what it was out of? So I told him 350sbc in a 34 chev. His response was "we don't carry parts for vehicles that old". Off to the next store to spend my money.

I went back to the old guy in town with a real parts store as the idiots in autozone pissed me off for the last time. Tom is a little more expensive but the knowledge and parts quality are worth the extra! no more chain stores and kids on computers!

The Car Quest in my town has an older guy named Jim that teaches the younger guy and they have the old Mopar Books. He (the kid) is learning. The Older NAPA stores in my area also are in the "Know" of older Part Numbers etc..

The kids will learn when given the chance, just as we did 40 years ago.

"All we are saying is give kids (peace) a chance" - John Lennon. Make those little buzzards find those parts - inspire them - make them think. Take them away from their Computers for a spell - bring them a Parts Number. Books teach research. God help us old folks to have the patience to teach these young fellows the way. Stay with them and inspire them to find your part - be patient with them - it works!:)

Tom

Tom Skinner. God help us old folks to have the patience to teach these young fellows the way. Stay with them and inspire them to find your part - be patient with them - it works!:)

Tom

..Sorry Tom,I have to disagree - not in all cases :)

God help us old folks to have the patience to teach these young fellows the way.be patient with them - it works!:)

Tom

I remember back in the 70's a poster that said it all, Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something! It was two buzzards sitting on a tree waiting for some road kill.

Gents,

I must agree with Tom on the teaching part; in my years in food service I taught a lot of kids the fundamentals and some were willing to learn and some weren't. Those who were willing to learn went on to become competent in their chosen professions and those who weren't went on to become politicians.

-Randy

I worked as a tradesman for 40+ years - during that time I also worked with and instructed apprentices.Most had the interest to learn the trade and there was a good rapport between us.On the other hand there were a few,(thankfully a few) that really had chosen the wrong career path and lacked interest.They didn't complete their apprenticeships and went on to pursue a different line of work - A couple of them ended up very "successful" ...maybe it was my patience and encouragement that sent them off in a different and more rewarding career direction? Whose to know.

I am fortunate to have a few parts stores in town that I am able to work with. Some of the guys are younger but will still crack a book for me. Some are idiots and dont want to learn. Those dont last behind the counter around here. When I did my recent disk brake conversion I was able to go in the back of one of these stores and sift through the brake flex lines till I found the one I wanted to try. By Myself. The guys at the counter just let me go back and rummage through the parts till I found what I thought would work. I have had bad experiences as well but that one worked out ok.

As far as looking up parts on the computer and then going to the store with the right part number, that normally works for me as well except when you find that they did something like NAPA did for our brake cylinders. If you go and look up the wheel cylinder rebuild kits at the NAPA website they list the upper front as one kit and the lower front as another. What they actually did was mix one of them up with the rear wheel cylinder. Also the rear kit (last time I looked) was the same part number as the one that actually is for the front. They also list that you will need one kit per cylinder on the front for a total of 4 kits. Not true! I ordered one kit and it came with enough stuff to do both cylinders making it a total of 2 kits to do the entire front end. Buyer beware....

Oooops. Sorry. Did I go off on my NAPA brake rant again.

You would think that after I contacted them and the local store contacted them they would have fixed it.

My local napa does quite well even with some of the younger guys there. They'll get the books out and look stuff up. Sometimes if its busy I'll tell them to hand me the book for whatever I'm looking for and let them help the next person while I browse.

My local napa does quite well even with some of the younger guys there. They'll get the books out and look stuff up. Sometimes if its busy I'll tell them to hand me the book for whatever I'm looking for and let them help the next person while I browse.

Same situation for me. I was just saying corperate has some issues they need to work on.

Im normally very satisfied with my local parts stores. I have to know what I am looking for as much as they need to be willing to make the effort to look for me. Its a team effort on many visits. :D

Gents,

Lynn and I went out for dinner tonight, something we do about once a month, and I ordered a Southern Comfort Old Fashion on the rocks. The waiter asked if I meant "SoCo" (like they say in their up-beat TV ads) to which I calmly replied, "No, it has nothing to do with South California because it was invented by a bartender in St. Louis in the 1890s". I guess that was too much information for him because what I got was simply Comfort on the rocks but that was okay and we enjoyed dinner. Afterwards a waitress asked if we wanted another round so repeated my original order and she said she'd ask the bartender if she'd ever heard of such a drink. I saved myself a lot of trouble by telling her to switch that to a Budweiser if the bartender could mix one straight out of the bottle and that seemed to be more within her realm of competency because she brought that back to the table with an obvious air of pride. I didn't mention the lack of a glass because I rarely drink alcohol and could live with it as it was but thought to myself that she was probably not qualified to find a points file either.

-Randy