temp gauge parts supply question

Cpt.Fred

when i was doing test runs today my temp gauge dropped to zero and went dead.

i looked into the engine compartment and saw what i had feared: the tube snapped right behind the feeler bulp. :(

i returned home pretty frustrated and did what i usually do:

use the forum search engine.

found the great article on Tod Fitch's website and read it, thanks a lot for putting that online!

my question would be: can anyone name a store that sells those cheap mechanical gauges and ships them to germany?

i browsed my usual sites and didn't find any, except a NOS replacement on the bay for 120$... yikes.

thanks a lot!

i looked into the engine compartment and saw what i had feared: the tube snapped right behind the feeler bulp. :(

found the great article on Tod Fitch's website and read it, thanks a lot for putting that online!

my question would be: can anyone name a store that sells those cheap mechanical gauges and ships them to germany?

i browsed my usual sites and didn't find any, except a NOS replacement on the bay for 120$... yikes.

thanks a lot!

Here's one on e-bay right now for $9.99 Item number: 170839509869, type in temp gauge, it says there are over 5000 listings. Good luck

With some work this one could work...the lettering would be upside down since 41 plys ran the gauge pivot on top while 40s ran them on the bottom of the gauge{loose the lettering!}

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-PLYMOUTH-TEMP-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-MOPAR-/221004279724?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3374e1afac&vxp=mtr

The 40 gauges do come up frequently at roughly $45us....keep searching and you'll find one.

It'll look something like this when installed-

current40pics001.jpg

Just saw that the 41s dont have the "white and red zone" flag, on a 40 this little flag is viewed thru a small hole i the glass.

I'd wait for the real thing if I were you, but that's your call my friend.

Finished piece-

current40pics003.jpg

;)

Edited by 40P10touring sedan

Man I totally could have thrown one in that last box. Let me know when you get it. Send me an email and let me know what you want for the next shipment.:)

thanks a lot!

Hey folks,

thanks for the answers and links!

Frankie: i searched the german sites, but it seems they used rather different methods for temp measuring here. and if i'd find one....

it would have metric threads on it, i guess.

40P10: nice cluster you got there, mine looks a little worn but fits the car perfectly, so i'll definately keep it.

i'll either repair the one i got or hunt down a matching one on the bay.

shelbizzy: good plan :) i see you understand the "way of the customs" very good.

Moose: i know, i know! :eek:

i was so angry when it happened, and my first thought was:

"coulnd't you little ba****rd have snapped a few days earlier?"

but that's the way it goes, i guess, these cars constantly test your mental strenght.:rolleyes:

i'll let you know when the box arrives, and i can't wait to get it!

i think i change every part of the ignition, including the coil.

time to test the one P-12 Tommy sent me last year.

Joe: I send you a PM later on, thanks for your offer!

and now off to work, we're building a new place to work in right now,

and there's still lots to do... i post some pics when the plymouth moves into its new home.

have a nice day, everyone!

Fred

• 3 weeks later...
If the gauge itself is good it should not be too hard to repair. You need to solder the pipe and refill with ether' date=' there is a lesson online on how to do this but I don't know where.

Has some member done this repair? Or, there may be an instrument repair man in Germany who does this work.[/quote']

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plymouth+temperature+gauge+repair&l=1