!st Time Painting Went Bad

55 Fargo

Hey all, prepped a couple of old rims, off the back of the 55 fargo. These rims, may be used for a while, bbut are not designated permanent.

I used Tremclad Pro Series Red, it's a very fast hard dry short chained alkyd high gloss. I shot on 2 coats on the 1 rim yesterday, then ran out, stores were closed already.

So today I prepped the other rim, shot on Tremclad rusty metal primer, regular type red oxide.

After a 24 hour cure on the 1st rim, decided what the heck, might as well shoot on the final coat, WRONG CHOICE, supposed to wait 48 hours or full cure. In my mind, it dries to the touch in 15 minutes, that 24 hours should be good to go.

I shot on a light coat, and bingo, instant crinkle, 1st time this has ever happened to me.

I then think, maybe I better shoot on the other rim, as the red oxide primer had been only on a few hours, but it is a slow dry, that went extremely well, and looks great.

I now have to wait for rim 1 to fully cure, then will sand down and shoot on more, what dunce move on my part.....live and learn

once it dries...you cant push it. wait wait..go away for the weekend..!!

billl

Yup, thats why I like to lay it on wet on wet back to back coats with a flash in-between.

Go away, now that would be a good idea.........

Fred,

In researching rolling Rustoleum everything I've read says the same; give it at least two days between coats. Not sure I would have heeded that advice to the letter before your mishap but that made a believer out of me. Er, thanks for doing my groundwork for me?

-Randy

If its enamel of any sort its generally multiple coats within an hour, otherwise wait up to a week for another coat.......enamel dries from the top down.........give me real paint any day........acrylic lacquer.........lol.......may not be as hard or servicable as 2packs etc but the perfect mugs paint.....lol..........andyd

Fred,

In researching rolling Rustoleum everything I've read says the same; give it at least two days between coats. Not sure I would have heeded that advice to the letter before your mishap but that made a believer out of me. Er, thanks for doing my groundwork for me?

-Randy

Hi Randy, yes this enamel must be good and cured. The Tremclad Pro series, has pretty agressive solvents, high in Xylene, which was an aggravating factor, this stuff is like automtive acrylic enamel dries to the touch real fast.

If its enamel of any sort its generally multiple coats within an hour, otherwise wait up to a week for another coat.......enamel dries from the top down.........give me real paint any day........acrylic lacquer.........lol.......may not be as hard or servicable as 2packs etc but the perfect mugs paint.....lol..........andyd

Yup, this stuff cures slow, especially without a hardener included. The tremclad pro series dries to the touch in 15 minutes at 70f, so flashes real quick, all coats to be within an hour.

I did use a slow primer on the other rim, it was drying for like 3 hours, then shot on the red no problems

I've noticed that krinkle thing with everyday old spraypaint as well as Krylon.

Seems like it didn't do that years ago....they must have changed the formula

in the last several years.

yah ,its called fast dry stuff, less open time, the old slower dry stuff or lacquer spray bombs might not do this.

My way is to lay all coats on in the 1st hour, then no problems, if more is needed for coverage maybe best to wait until full cure,that could be a week

I've noticed that krinkle thing with everyday old spraypaint as well as Krylon.

Seems like it didn't do that years ago....they must have changed the formula

in the last several years.

I used the "krinkle" looking spray paint on my wheels, so my poor painting

skills would not be seen, and these 40 year old wheels were not in great

shape also......

post-3539-13585368623281_thumb.jpg

I used the "krinkle" looking spray paint on my wheels, so my poor painting

skills would not be seen, and these 40 year old wheels were not in great

shape also......

sand em smooth with 220, then 320, or 400 spray on your favorite color. You hvae a good base to work with.....

I hate that when it happens!!!!!!!!!!!! Spend a lot of time just prepping and then paint and instant junk!!! Sorry to hear about your problem. Today I'm picking up a can of expensive spray paint to match my car. Our local car paint dealer can match up any color and put it in a spray can but it cost 31 dollars a can!!!!!!!!!! Expensive but well worth the money for fixing up little chips and problem areas on my old Dodge.

DSC00486.jpg

Jon, it was no big deal, go the rim almost ready to go again. The pro series Tremclad dries hard, and is sandable in short order.

I usually always shoot paint 3 coats after short flash time, and never a problem

I have seen this before...was told the thinners in the color coat were not compatible with the primer...must check to see if you are sparying enamel on to enamel primer and acrylic onto acrylic. As for curing time before top coating...what do body shops do?

I have seen this before...was told the thinners in the color coat were not compatible with the primer...must check to see if you are sparying enamel on to enamel primer and acrylic onto acrylic. As for curing time before top coating...what do body shops do?

NO thats not why this happened, has nothing tro do with primer in this case whatsoever.

I sanded the rims slick, shot on 2 coats ofTremclad pro series red, super fast dry, very agrressive solvent base, lots of xylene, no primer was sprayed on 1st, the rims had a white base.

I then tried to shoot on a coat the next day, thats when it crinkled, the open time was long over, and the paint did not fully cure, it needs 48 hours at 70 f minimum.

I also primered the other rim, at 9:00 am, with regular slower dry tremclad red oxide primer spray bomb. At 11:00 am shot on 3 coats back to backcoats of the tremclad pro series red right over, it went on super slick, the wheel is already back on the truck. You see the tremclad primer, with a high mineral spirit/naptha slovent base, was still open enough to accept the topcoats. This much like a sealer sprayed on a car, just prioer to paint, topcoat in an hour or scuff and topcoat after full cure, that could be 8-? hours later.

BTW, on my 47 Chrysler, I have home hardware Rust Coat grey primer on the bare metal 1st, then all fillers, then PPG 2k urethane high build primer, then enamel with acrylic enamel reducer and hardener, so things can be interchanged. The ticket is, the 1st home hardware primer was super cured, BTW, I sprayed this stuff on , and reduced it with Dupont acrylic enamel reducer.

Edited by Rockwood

Yesterday for fun painted the side mirror red on the truck, 24 hours later, did not care for that look so sanded the mirror housing down with 400, then shot regular Tremclad rattle can dark blue, right over the sanded super smooth red Tremclad pro fast dry enamel.

It went on super slick, is higher gloss, and is nice and smooth. Now this was only 24 hours later, what was the difference between this and recoating my rims with the same red paint that crinkled. The difference is agressive solvent, the regular Tremclad(rustoleum), has a lot less agressive solvent base, so it did not cause a reaction, to the not fully cure paint that was sprayed on the day before....