a compatible bellhouse

Hi,

I usually post on the p15-d24 forum but have been advised to pick through the brains of the Pilot-House people. Hope someone out there can help me!

6957683910_6c74fedd29.jpg

I have recently bought a 1930 Chrysler CJ-6 which runs a 1953 P24 218 engine and what appears to be a 1935 Dodge D2 gearbox. The problems comes from when whover installed these components they kept the original 1930 Chrysler CJ-6 Bellhouse.

The bellhouse has the frame mount system with integrated master cylinder mount. The original engine that would couple to this lacked a water jacket and so the mount for a starter motor was closer to its own engine block.

7146165985_30f7dbc98e_n.jpg

This has resulted in me not being able to fit the P24 218 starter as it fouls on the block:

7122226785_d8d3eef8c9_z.jpg

Young Ed and Andydodge suggested that the some of the PilotHouse and mid to late 30's trucks had a similar bellhouse system which might also allow for a wider engine block.

My next questions would be:

1. are there any spare bellhouses out there?

2. are they for sale?

3. are any that fit the above 2 requirements in the UK?

4. have I lost the plot?

Thanks for any help!

Dudley

Hi Dudley,

I've been following your thread over on the car side and understand your delima. I believe I still have this truck bell housing, but it's for the larger truck 4 speed trans and would probably require some modification to fit a smaller trans.

P5010540.jpg

Could you measure the width of your bell housing at the frame mounts to see if a truck unit would work?

I also believe you would need a transmission to match the truck bell housing. According to your pictures, and the one that I posted of the '35 Dodge D2 engine/trans, it appears that those early transmission top covers overlapped the bell housing. The later transmissions didn't do that. I'm not sure that the earlier trans would mate up to a later style bell housing.

Here's the D2 setup for the rest of you to see.

P5182831-1.jpg

P5182829-1.jpg

Merle

Hi Merle,

I've measured the width and the bellhouse would have to be 600mm (23.6"). Would a truck one fit with this measurement?

Theres a place in the UK my Dad used to use for 1943 Willys Jeep parts called Dallas Autos, he thinks they sell Dodge parts so if it is conceivable perhaps I could track one down in the UK. If not I'm taking out shares in USPS!

For everyone else here's a picture of my current, ill fitting, bellhouse.

6957153528_58ff0af369_z.jpg

Thanks Dudley

I'll have to dig that bad boy out again and put a tape measure across the ears. I'll let you know.

Being that you need a Right Hand Drive setup, maybe the guys from Down Under could help too.

Merle

You're a gentleman Merle, thank you.

Well, I went to dig out the bell housing tonight to measure the width and couldn't find it. Then I began to remember boxing it up and shipping it off to someone, so that would explain my not finding it where I though it would be.

Does anyone else have an engine or bell housing out where it can be easily measured for Dudley?

Merle

It appears the best solution would be to find the right engine block. If you were desperate it would be possible to cut away the water jacket with a cutoff wheel and braze up the hole. This would give the clearance for the starter as in the original engine with water jacket on the upper half of the cylinders.

Dudley here's the guy who might be able to help you out in Scottland

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gordons_vehicle_home.htm

Thanks Ed I'll email him shortly, see if he knows anything. Looking at his site I see he is friendly with one of my Dads friends, queue the cliche term, "Its a small world."

If you get the time Ed could you please measure the distance between the frame mounts on your 46 Dodge Pickup?

Cheers!

It appears the best solution would be to find the right engine block. If you were desperate it would be possible to cut away the water jacket with a cutoff wheel and braze up the hole. This would give the clearance for the starter as in the original engine with water jacket on the upper half of the cylinders.

You might be right about finding the right engine block. I just perceive its original engine being a rarity to locate. Theres no way i'm carving up the block though!

• 2 weeks later...